Trump Trial

SamSpade

đŸ”„ The New York Times ran a Trump Trial update story last evening headlined, “Trump Chooses Not to Take the Stand, and the Defense Rests.” Probably a wise decision.

I'm no lawyer - but I've heard countless times, it's completely stupid to EVER let your client testify on the stand, even if they insist on it. There's rarely anything ever to be gained. You don't take the stand on a DARE. It's not JUST NOT cowardly it's how most of them are done.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
đŸ”„đŸ”„ But the FBI’s inexcusably blasĂ© response to accusations of trying to negligently assassinate a president were betrayed by rising tensions in Trump’s South Florida case. That’s the same case where the odious Operations Order was exposed. Politico ran the widely-covered story under the headline, “‘Garbage argument’: Hearing in Trump’s classified docs case gets heated.”

Sparks flew in court hearings yesterday as threadbare tempers flared. At one point, after prosecutor David Harbach, a member of special counsel Jack Smith’s team, heatedly called one of Trump’s lawyer’s arguments “garbage,” Judge Aileen Cannon warned him “I’m going to have to ask that you calm down.” The details they argued about are legally complicated, procedurally heavy, and not super interesting.

But the sniping criticized by the judge exposed the mounting pressure on prosecutors, as the judge’s de-redaction orders continue hauling the government’s dirty laundry onto the political dinner table. I’d bet John Fetterman’s translating device there is more to come.

Things are also heating up for Attorney General Garland, who was held in contempt of Congress last week. Headline, Daily Mail:

image 18.png

https://www.coffeeandcovid.com/p/kick-back-thursday-may-23-2024-c

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

TRUMP DERANGED Robert DeNiro & Biden Team HECKLED With 'F Joe Biden' Chants OUTSIDE Hush Money Trial​

Grumpy

Robert DeNiro Starring as RAGING BULL$HITER!
tds.jpg

Hijinx

How stupid must a movie actor be to piss off half or better of their audience by acting like a retarded Biden voter.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
How stupid must a movie actor be to piss off half or better of their audience by acting like a retarded Biden voter.
It's a55holes like him that made me decide to stop watching anything that comes out of Hollywood.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Based Judge DESTROYS Jack Smith After She IMMEDIATELY REJECTS Gag Order Demand Against Trump!​

PJay

Exactly this.

Can we just agree that Robert De Niro is a diminutive POS/garbage human being on every possible level? Oh, and if you weren't aware, Robert has long harbored a penchant for young girls. Now consider that against Robert's press conference today in NYC. Does his venomous opposition to Trump make more sense? The fact is that Robert (and those like him) fully understand that DJT represents nothing short of a clear and present danger to their breathing addictions. And they should be afraid. Very afraid.

Hijinx

I always thought that in their summation, a lawyer could say just about anything they wanted to say.
This Judge sounds like a lunatic. This whole trial has been lunacy.
There must be a group somewhere that looks over what goes on in these courts and has the authority to censor these lunatic Judges.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
đŸ”„đŸ”„ Appropriately at midnight last night, CNN ran its Trump Trial update with an over-the-top apocalyptic headline: “Judgment day looms for Donald Trump in New York.” Closing arguments finished late, after 8pm last night, with the prosecution getting four times as much time as the defense, which was required by a strange New York law to go first, before hearing what crime the prosecution would come up with. The jury will receive instructions this morning at 10am and then begin deliberating. Jonathan Turley called the day “otherworldly.”

image 3.png

CLIP: Jonathan Turley on NY v. Trump trial: What I saw today was outrageous | Fox (8:53).

In trying to sell its jumped-up p*rn case as something meaningful, the prosecution rankly speculated (at best), or cited facts not in evidence (at worst):

image.png

I wasn’t there, but as an attorney that highlighted line seems highly objectionable and maybe even grounds for a mistrial. The prosecution never put on any evidence that the check notations affected the election. They could’ve called an elections expert had they wanted. But they didn’t, so it seems downright batty they could be allowed to speculate about the various expenses’ electoral effects in their closing argument, jamming that wild notion into the jurors’ minds with the stamp of judicial officialdom.

Nevertheless, CNN cemented this case into history, not just because it was the first criminal trial of a president, but because it was the first criminal trial where, after all the witnesses had testified, after all the evidence was in the record, and both sides had finished making their closing arguments, the jurors still don’t know what crime the defendant stands accused of:

image 2.png

Another crime? What crime?? CNN’s article doesn’t say, and there’s a good reason for that. They don’t know, the jury doesn’t know, the judge doesn’t know, Trump doesn’t know, and even the prosecutors don’t know. The prosecutors are hoping the jury will figure out what crime happened.

As Professor Jonathan Turley explained in the clip above, Judge Merchan let the prosecutors repeatedly call the Cohen payments “illegal campaign contribution violations,” which prosecutors never even tried to prove, and which the payments couldn’t possibly have been anyway, since there is no limit to a candidate’s contributions to his own campaign.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Normally with closing arguments, doesn't the prosecution go first followed by the defense followed by a short prosecution rebuttal?