Trump Trial

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
“I think we all know that the entire reason that Judge Merchan had scheduled this case for when he scheduled it for and why he has been very, very deliberate in keeping Donald Trump in the courtroom and now making so he can’t even, you know, leave the courthouse area is because he wants to keep Donald Trump off the campaign trail,” Binnall said, explaining that no matter what the verdict, Merchan wins in that he was able to keep Trump off the campaign trail for a significant amount of time.

“He knows that the process is the punishment, that even if a jury comes back with a not guilty verdict, or the jury comes back hung, he’s still got his pound of flesh in this because he’s been able to keep Donald Trump from going out and campaigning, while his chosen candidate Joe Biden has been not only free to go around the country campaigning, but using this case in order to attack Donald Trump,” he explained.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Trump Attorney Alina Habba Delivers Smackdown to “Naive” Shannon Bream When She Tries Claiming the Biden Regime is Not Responsible for the Sham Trump Trial

During the jury deliberations on Wednesday afternoon, Trump’s attorney Alina Habba appeared as a guest on Fox News with Shannon Bream, who attempted to run interference for the Biden regime. Bream likely wishes she had never made this decision because she was outclassed in a battle of the wits.

Bream opened by querying whether there is a net positive for Trump thanks to the kangaroo trial. Habba replied that from a political standpoint, this was true, but America should never have had to “hit rock bottom” in terms of morals, the Constitution, and the rule of law.

Bream attempted to fake concern, claiming that these dramas would always follow Trump regardless of his guilt or innocence. Habba correctly deemed this as extortion and went on to rail against America’s litigious culture, which she noted Joe Biden is taking full advantage of in order to sideline his political opponent.

The interview went horribly wrong for Bream when she responded that Biden had nothing to do with the trial. What followed was an epic yet firm smackdown of the reporter based on cold, hard facts.

Bream was left stammering slightly at the end and had no good response to Habba’s blistering replies.

WATCH (The crucial part of the exchange starts at the 1:50 mark):

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Brace Yourselves for a Trump Conviction Because the Judge Just Tilted the Scales

The jury is deliberating, and we should be prepared for a conviction. That’s not to say there isn’t reasonable doubt all over the hush money trial involving Donald Trump, but this whole trial was a circus from the start so it’s unsurprising that its finish was more of a clown show. As Katie wrote this morning, none of this is normal. The judge’s instructions to the jury is aberrant, with some folks commenting on social media that these guidelines for the jury wouldn’t be legal in Zimbabwe. It will only take four jurors to convict Trump [emphasis mine]:

…Judge Juan Merchan has given the jury their instructions…the instructions were given verbally and jurors won't receive printed copies, although they can ask questions.
According to legal experts, Merchan's standards for a conviction are abnormal and do not require jurors to reach a unanimous decision on the charges. Further, jurors don't have to determine what crime was committed.
"Judge Merchan has ruled that the jury does not have to agree on what that crime is. The jury could split into three groups of four on which of the three crimes were being concealed and Merchan will still treat it as a unanimous verdict," George Washington University Law Professor Jonathan Turley, who has been inside the courtroom, writes. "The jury has been given little substantive information on these crimes, and Merchan has denied a legal expert who could have shown that there was no federal election violation. This case should have been dismissed for lack of evidence or a cognizable crime."

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Trump Jury Instructions Invite Conviction Based on a Hodgepodge of Dubious Theories

Because Merchan said jurors need not agree on which of these theories has been proven beyond a reasonable doubt, the rationale for convicting him is apt to be muddled. "The judge has ruled that the jury does not have to agree on what actually occurred in the case," Turley says. "Merchan ruled that the government had vaguely referenced three possible crimes that constitute the 'unlawful means' used to influence the election: a federal election violation, the falsification of business records, and a tax violation. The jurors were told that they could split on what occurred, with four jurors accepting each of the three possible crimes in a 4-4-4 split. The court would still consider that a unanimous verdict so long as they agree that it was in furtherance of some crime."

Merchan's instructions did include a caveat that could help Trump. "He said mere knowledge of a conspiracy does not make [the] defendant a co-conspirator," Fox News correspondent Lydia Hu notes. "Prosecutors must prove intent. Also, being present with others when they form a conspiracy does not mean that the defendant is a part of the conspiracy."

On its face, Cohen's testimony regarding Trump's participation in the alleged conspiracy seems crucial in establishing his intent. Cohen said Trump instructed him to pay Daniels. He also said Trump Organization Allen Weisselberg described the plan to reimburse Cohen during a January 2021 meeting, and Trump did not object. Cohen was the only witness who directly testified on those points, and Trump's lawyers argued that he cannot be trusted, noting that he is a convicted felon, disbarred lawyer, and admitted liar with a powerful grudge against his former boss.

Hijinx

This i9sn't coming from Biden. Biden is just the mouthpiece.
How did Obama get elected to the Senate? He did it through crooked lawfare

Now he is doing it to Trump in order to get his 4th. stay as the hoax President.
Biden hasn't got the brain energy to be behind this.

Judge Just RIGGED Trial Against Trump, Tells Jurors NO NEED TO BE UNANIMOUS, Democrat CORRUPTION​

As with so many issues these days there's been a ton of misinformation spread relating to this case and the other legal cases targeting President Trump. Sometimes it's misleading explanations of what's happened, sometimes it's blatant lies, sometimes it's just pretending that normal standard court procedures or rules are somehow unfathomable bizarro contrivances.

The reality is that people tend to pick their information sources based on whether those sources tell them what they want to hear and provide them with ammunition to support the narratives they want to believe. So that's what their information sources do - tell them what they want to hear and provide them with ammunition to support the narratives they want to believe. Accuracy and fair understandings of reality are, at best, afterthoughts. And too often those things are intentionally avoided. The intent isn't to inform, it's to reinforce; the customers (i.e. viewers/listeners) are fed a steady diet of the BS they crave.

There's been a ton of BS spread regarding this case in particular that I won't get lost in for now - e.g., the defense wasn't informed of what the alleged other crimes were. But in response to what this guy is saying here I'd make a few points. As I suggested in another thread, one of the fundamental problems is the vagueness (and thus effective broadness) of the law at issue here and how it's been interpreted by New York courts. There's a surprising amount of case law regarding some of the issues talked about in the present case.

For one thing, the alleged other crimes (which could make the falsifying business records charge a first degree violation) don't have to charged or proven. They also don't have to be crimes which the defendant himself committed. They don't even have to specified. It's enough, under New York case law, that the prosecution demonstrate that the defendant intended, e.g., to conceal some other crime - whatever that crime might have been. That there was intent to commit or conceal such other crime is an element of the charge, but what that other crime is is not an element of the charge. I realize that sounds crazy, but it's the way this law works. And it's emblematic of some of the general problems with our justice systems. I read one appellate court case - I'd have to go back and find it to refresh my recollection on the details - that upheld a conviction on a first degree falsifying business records charge even though the same jury either acquitted or hung on the other crime which was the basis for first degree charge. The point was, it doesn't matter what the other crime was or whether it was proven; what matters is whether there was an intent to commit or conceal some other crime.

There are, of course, reasons why this law is on the books as is and is so broad in its potential applicability. One of those reasons is this: It provides prosecutors with a powerful swiss-army-knife-like tool which can be used to go after all kinds of practices, and so-called white collar crimes, which they find objectionable. It's about empowering government actors to go after whatever those particular government actors happen to be motivated to go after - regardless of the propriety of their motivations.

So, yes, based on New York case law the judge was correct to instruct that the jurors don't all have to agree as to what the "unlawful means" (as per New York election law) was in this case. Similarly, a jury wouldn't have to agree on what the motive for a murder was or even how that murder was carried out. The prosecution can offer a number of theories about why a husband murdered his wife or exactly how he did so. The jury just needs to be unanimous in that he actually did murder her. In this case the jury needs to be unanimous that President Trump falsifyied business records with an intent to defraud and an intent to commit or conceal some other crime.

(I also don't won't to get lost in this - as it would probably confuse the situation more - but in this case the different theories of "unlawful means" are even further removed from the required elements of the charge which need to be proved because as the prosecution argued the case they still all fall under the New York election law. In other words, there's really only one alleged other crime which the jury will be considering though there are several argued theories as to how that crime was committed.)

Grumpy

Just when you think you can't possibly hate Democrats any more vehemently.....
Just deleted one of my sisters after she was gloating online..very petty on my part, but I've had it with these effing blind folks that couldn't see the russiagate crap, the not-hunters-laptop crap, pee gate, 2 stupid impeachments..etc..

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
In this case the jury needs to be unanimous that President Trump falsifyied business records with an intent to defraud and an intent to commit or conceal some other crime.

Stop. Seriously. The prosecution never proved in even the slightest way that Trump did anything of the sort. It was the word of Cohen against Trump. There was precisely ZERO evidence.

FACT: Cohen paid off Stormy Daniels. Nobody disputes that.

FACT: Cohen submitted a bill to Trump for legal fees. Again, no dispute.

FACT: Trump's accountants filed it as legal fees. Also not in dispute.

You hate Trump. We know. You've been clear. But it surprises me that you are so filled with mindless hate that you condone drumming up bullshit charges against your political opponent, then stacking the deck to ensure a conviction. Straight up, I don't think very highly of you because of this. You blather on and on, acting like you're so smart and above us rabble, but in fact you're a Marxist POS third world banana republic brain dead lame ass.

Really, go **** yourself and take your pompous Leftist "Oh I'm so much smarter than you" attitude with you. You are literally the dumbest person in this thread, at least until SMC79 or Hemi get here. It should embarrass you to show your ass like this. THAT is how brainwashed and ****ed up you are, that you are beyond shame when it comes to outright blatant government tyranny.

In NYC you can rob, rape, and murder and never even be charged. But if you're Donald Trump you will be convicted based solely on being Donald Trump. And millions of ****ed up Dembots (like you) will cheer.

This is a terrifying precedent and you should be ashamed of yourself.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Just deleted one of my sisters after she was gloating online..very petty on my part, but I've had it with these effing blind folks that couldn't see the russiagate crap, the not-hunters-laptop crap, pee gate, 2 stupid impeachments..etc..

They lap it up and beg for more, then go riot in the streets cheering on Islamic terrorists. Democrats are some ****ed up people and they show their mental illness every day. There is no accusation so ridiculous that they won't dance for joy and spew it far and wide.

Think about that: in the United States of America a sitting administration just got away with convicting his political opponent with a felony. No evidence, no proof. We thought it was bad when Obama had his FBI thugs spy on the Trump campaign, who would have predicted they'd actually try to have him jailed?

Time to refresh that Tree of Liberty....

SamSpade

I guess what I don’t get is - NY law actually allows them to ASSUME he’s guilty of an unnamed crime - which he hasn’t been found guilty of in any court (because that’s how you’re ACTUALLY guilty of a crime) so they can turn a misdemeanor into a felony?

I just don’t get how he can be assumed guilty of a previous crime without having ever been convicted of one, and there’s zero expectation of actually proving it ever happened.

Why would the law be like that? Is it just me, or could you “convict” anyone if you could just by fiat wave a previous crime into existence and you don’t even have to name it?