Vick goes to...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I'm surprised people still think of him as a QB - that wouldn't even occur to me at this point. I always assumed that when he was signed, it would be with the thought that he might become a versatile offensive weapon playing a limited number of downs, and looking to make a couple big plays per game. It would seem to me that the notion that he could, in a pinch, serve as a backup quarterback, would be secondary - if not an afterthought.

QB all the way. Vick is not a RB and he's not a WR. It's all well and good to get all those rushing yards when you don't get touched the first 10 yards after scrambling. It is quite another thing to go across the middle and know you're going to get your clock cleaned as the ball arrives and it is yet another thing to take off from the backfield when the D KNOWS you're running.

I think there are so many people who've been around dog fighting in the NFL that they GOTTA try to make a happy ending out of this.

Somehow.

morningbell

hmmmmmm
In these kinds of situations, people like to say things like, 'He made a mistake' and 'Everybody makes mistakes.' Well, I think we need to distinguish between different classes of mistakes. Some mistakes display a lack of judgment - some sort immaturity or lack of emotional control or intellectual prowess or something along those lines. And then, some mistakes necessarily tell us something about the nature of a person. There are some 'mistakes' that you can't make unless there is a fundamentally evil part of you - there are some mistakes that can't be explained by momentary lapses in judgment, they require a certain evil quality.

For instance, getting drunk in a bar and making an inappropriate sexual comment to a woman might just be a mistake - a failure of judgment, a show of bad form, a display of #######-ishness. But, raping a woman can't just be a mistake - it requires an evilness. It's not something that most people would be capable of doing, even if their judgment failed them. In order to be capable of doing that to someone, you have to be fundamentally evil inside.

Well, what Vick apparently did to those animals was evil. It wasn't just a mistake or a lapse in judgment. It required a certain degree of evilness. And that is something that is either there or it isn't. Typically, it doesn't go away - you just learn to control it because you realize that society has a different set of rules about what is appropriate; and, to the extent that your own instincts run contrary to those rules, you have to control them so that you don't face negative consequences for them. I don't care what anybody says, Vick's actions prove that he is evil - he may never commit those kinds of crimes again, but he has a nature which would allow him to - and most of us don't have the nature required to be able to make that kind of 'mistake'.

Please note, I'm not equating what Vick did to rape - except in the sense that each of those crimes requires certain natures, on the part of the offender, that aren't present in most humans.

On a less serious note, I really thought Cleveland would sign him - can you imagine the marketing opportunities?

:clap:
:buddies:
Thank you.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
ESPN is talking up the PETA and SPCA angle, on Vick's signing with the (B)eagles franchise, a few minutes ago.

You have to wonder how much of an impact these outfits will have - like stirring up the fanbase - against the decision to sign him?

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
That's part of the Philly Daily News story. They are NOT happy with the team's signing of Michael Vick, it would seem. :popcorn:

BuddyLee

Football addict
Anyone wanna tell me Vicks role?
Spread QB.

With Vick in the backfield you have multiple options.

You can pass the ball.

You can hand it off to Westbrook if the linebacker doesn't bite.

You can keep it and run if the linebacker does bite.