Walking your cat on a leash..

Roman

leash

My Cat walks on a leash. When my Mother watches her, her Community says all pets must be on a leash. When Mom takes her out, there are other neighbors in the Community that have their Cats on a leash as well. It is funny to see cats on them though..I have to admit. :lmao:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Immediately feed him his favorite meal

Praise him for being such a good cat, and give him some loving hugs.

Teach kitty to follow you by talking to him in a cajoling manner

If you have more than one cat, it may actually be easier to train the second one, because she will want to follow the first.

I suspect the author of this training how-to has cats confused with dogs.

My cats eat the same thing every day, so there's no such thing as a "favorite meal". They glare suspiciously at "cat treats" and won't fall for bribery.

They have a different idea of what constitutes a "good cat" than I. It's similar to being a "good" Blood, or a "good" Crip. They consider loving hugs something to be tolerated in exchange for food, and not a reward.

"Cajoling" my cats turns them smug and superior, which causes them to play hard to get. Yelling at them has the same effect. Ignoring them, same thing.

My little non-conformists are not interested in what their yardmates are doing. They revel in their individuality.

Teaching them to walk on a leash would only work if I *didn't* want them to do it. If I laid the harness on the dining table and sternly forbid them to touch it, THEN they would want it desperately.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I suspect the author of this training how-to has cats confused with dogs.

My cats eat the same thing every day, so there's no such thing as a "favorite meal". They glare suspiciously at "cat treats" and won't fall for bribery.

They have a different idea of what constitutes a "good cat" than I. It's similar to being a "good" Blood, or a "good" Crip. They consider loving hugs something to be tolerated in exchange for food, and not a reward.

"Cajoling" my cats turns them smug and superior, which causes them to play hard to get. Yelling at them has the same effect. Ignoring them, same thing.

My little non-conformists are not interested in what their yardmates are doing. They revel in their individuality.

Teaching them to walk on a leash would only work if I *didn't* want them to do it. If I laid the harness on the dining table and sternly forbid them to touch it, THEN they would want it desperately.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I'm reading this and nodding as I picture each one of your precious darlings and their own individual personalities!

As for my Siamese, Simon,(who is really only an indoor cat) I am quite sure he would want to have nothing to do with the indignities of a leash! :drama:

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
I've seen this at soccer. Had to do a double take. The cat seemed fine with it. The dogs in attendance did nothing but stare at the cat.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Had a friend with an Egyptian Mau it was about the size of a beagle and would walk on a leash.

Pleas post a video of your first attempt

CraneTaker77

My cat Smokey has walked on a leash since he was about two years old. He's an indoor cat. I was bored one day and put a leash and collar on him and he loved it. All I had to do was hold up his leash and collar and shake it a little bit and he would come running from where ever he was sleeping, because he knew it meant he could go outside. When I did get him outside, he wold walk right beside me, better than most dogs. He would trot too, if I picked up my pace. He listened really well,and still does.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
My cat Smokey has walked on a leash since he was about two years old. He's an indoor cat. I was bored one day and put a leash and collar on him and he loved it. All I had to do was hold up his leash and collar and shake it a little bit and he would come running from where ever he was sleeping, because he knew it meant he could go outside. When I did get him outside, he wold walk right beside me, better than most dogs. He would trot too, if I picked up my pace. He listened really well,and still does.
That's not a cat. It's a dog in a cat suit.

CraneTaker77

heres a pic from last year, I actually had one on my work computer. DSC_0003.JPG

Dakota

~~~~~~~
I've seen this at soccer. Had to do a double take. The cat seemed fine with it. The dogs in attendance did nothing but stare at the cat.

There is this video on youtube where this woman had her kitty on a leash at the airport. He just sat and watched the people & carts go by- very calm and seemed to be enjoying himself.

I think I am going to use a walking jacket. It seems to be better for training. The kitty I'll be training is just a few months old right now so I'm wondering if it is too soon to train or is sooner, better!!! I just don't want to wait too long and end up with a non-conformists. :lol:

Pix,

I used to have a cat that did that... totally cute.

MrZ06

I love Texas Road House
this is cray cray. walking a cat on a leash is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of.