Weddings bring out the worst in people

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
If I were to ever get married again, I'd probably choose the Courthouse and have a gathering of friends and family later.
That's what the ex and I did. We couldn't afford a big wedding and didn't want one, so we went up to Prince Frederick with some close family members and friends, then went out to dinner afterwards. I do remember leaving the Courthouse and it was torrentially raining. Supposed to be good luck, right? :lol:

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
A lot of times couples elope because of all the drama involved in planning these events. They want to avoid all of that and can't figure out a way to handle it directly.

Some of the reasons weddings (can) bring out the worst in people, is because priorities are all screwed up anymore. Parents need to just back off and let the betrothed couple make the decisions about the wedding. It's not the parents of the bride, nor the parents of the grooms' wedding. If you hold them hostage because you are paying for the wedding, then YOU have psychological issues. Sheesh. Set a dollar amount, give it to them and let them decide what they want to do. Or not -but stop trying to make it all about you.

I am not concerned with whether my younger son gets married or not, NOR whether he has children - or not. It's not my choice. It's not my life. My life's worth is not tied up in whether he gets married and produces offspring so I can be a grandmother. Or not. 🤷
That is what happened to me. My mom took over the planning on the wedding down to what dress I should pick. Lucky for me, it was the dress my sister loved so when I thwarted the entire thing (early on in the planning so no money was spent except for the dress) and ended up eloping, it worked out.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
No, it doesn’t make sense. It is a special part of a parent’s life, and, also, there are reasons for eloping. First one being that parents and friends don’t approve of the match. I doubt the majority were trying to save their parents money. I wonder how many elopers stay married. Is there a study on that? I will look that up.
22 years and counting for me! Plus we only knew each other 3 months when we got married so we beat the odds twice, I guess. (And no, I was not pregnant. :lol: ) We were living in VA when we met and he was already planning on moving to SoMd for his job. We could either have a long distance relationship (which neither wanted) or I could come along. We planned on waiting to get married and have a church wedding but once my mom took over the planning and made it what she wanted instead of what we wanted, we went to the Courthouse and did it our way.

frequentflier

happy to be living
I get that it is supposed to be a "special day" and some people live for the hoopla. But if some couples put more effort into their relationship instead of this one day, many would be better off. Call me cynical, but I have seen quite a few people have a huge and expensive wedding and reception only to be divorced within a couple years.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Thanks for using the smiley I contributed to the forum. Wow, you would elope if you had to do it again. It seems people were happier than you were, and wanted to share your day. Happy belated wedding wishes. :) Or 😕
I had a ton of supportive people but they all live far away and wedding planning was still stressful. I have no sisters, my friends weren't the planning type, my mom lives far away, my husband, while helpful, only had an opinion about food and beer...it was all on me. And I will shout it from the rooftops: I only had a big wedding for my family (for myself too) but if it wasn't for my incredibly generous parents we wouldn't have been able to afford even 20% of the cost of it. I will forever be grateful to them, but they offered and I could never expect that of them again. It was one of the best days of our lives, but it was a lot of money.

Also, it's 2019: eloping no longer means you're running away because your parents don't approve. The majority of today's elopers ARE trying to save money. My parents loved throwing me a huge wedding, but had I said no thanks we'd rather go to Jamaica, they would've been all about that too because they know this is ultimately my life and their self-worth doesn't revolve around their only daughter's walk down the aisle and inevitable birthing of THEIR grandbabies.

I don't think it's fair to assume, just because the planning process brought on a couple complaints, that I'm living a horribly unhappy life. I'm allowed to have a few gripes, but still thoroughly enjoy the end product. Your assumptions are way off base and very condescending. I really wish I could see the world as black and white as you do. I haven't even been married a year. We couldn't be any happier but I don't need to prove that to you. Stop being such a nitwit in every single thread.

I'll say, we liked the kids table idea, but so many of our friends WANT and NEED a night away from the kiddos, plus if we invited them it would've doubled our guest count :lol: it was easier to say no kids except those in the wedding, and two familes with younger ones traveling far. Personal choice 😁 I accomodated for them though and gave them all a clipboard with coloring pages and crayons.

luvmygdaughters

No, it doesn’t make sense. It is a special part of a parent’s life, and, also, there are reasons for eloping. First one being that parents and friends don’t approve of the match. I doubt the majority were trying to save their parents money. I wonder how many elopers stay married. Is there a study on that? I will look that up.
My 1st husband and I eloped, I was 18, he was 20 and no, I was not pregnant. My parents were separated at the time and neither had the money to put on a wedding, the ex's mother was working but, his father had just been diagnosed with Agoraphobia and Rheumatoid Arthritis. They couldnt afford a wedding. We decided to go to the courthouse and do the deed. My parents liked my ex and his parents loved me. I believe your ideas on why people elope are outdated. When I decided to get married again, we both chose the courthouse, I was in my late fifties and my husband in his sixties. My daughter was our witness and we had a very nice dinner afterwards. Dont regret my decision on either of my venues for getting married.

frequentflier

happy to be living
My husband and I were both in our forties; neither had been married before. We were living together in CA and went to Vegas to tie the knot. I had prepared a letter to send out to family and friends announcing our marriage and mailed them from Vegas.
A family member held a party at her home for us the next time we were in New York. My husband has little family and they are all in TX (he has little contact with them)
18 years and holding...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
A lot of times couples elope because of all the drama involved in planning these events.

Serious. When Larry and I were planning our wedding, we were thinking small and casual, maybe out on the dock in Alexandria where we had our first date. Then it started taking on a life of its own. He made the mistake of letting me watch his and Marcia's wedding video and I was struck by how stressed she looked, running around making sure everyone was happy. Then I thought about having to wrangle the kids, and my folks, and "well, you have to invite so and so", and Larry's crappy aunt who lived to be an insulting bitch to me....

:twitch:

So we decided to run off to Jamaica. Nobody was invited. Our attendants were the events coordinator and a bartender. It was lovely. :yay: Then we had a family gathering later at the house, with grilled chicken/burgers and potato salad. (Crappy aunt boycotted, which was what I was hoping for)

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Serious. When Larry and I were planning our wedding, we were thinking small and casual, maybe out on the dock in Alexandria where we had our first date. Then it started taking on a life of its own. He made the mistake of letting me watch his and Marcia's wedding video and I was struck by how stressed she looked, running around making sure everyone was happy. Then I thought about having to wrangle the kids, and my folks, and "well, you have to invite so and so", and Larry's crappy aunt who lived to be an insulting bitch to me....

:twitch:

So we decided to run off to Jamaica. Nobody was invited. Our attendants were the events coordinator and a bartender. It was lovely. :yay: Then we had a family gathering later at the house, with grilled chicken/burgers and potato salad. (Crappy aunt boycotted, which was what I was hoping for)
After we got married at the Courthouse, we ate at Bert's Diner in Prince Frederick (now Jerry's Place) on our way to PA for our weekend honeymoon.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Bride, groom praised for wedding invitations with extreme RSVP penalty

A couple laid down the law when it came to guests sending an RSVP to their upcoming wedding — and those on Reddit are celebrating the move.

According to the post, the couple — who was not identified — sent out invitations requesting guests RSVP by Sept. 10, 2019. However, under the traditional “declines with regret” and “accepts with pleasure” options is a warning: “If you do not RSVP by September 10th please bring a chair and a sandwich.

Love it! :lol:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Bride, groom praised for wedding invitations with extreme RSVP penalty

See, and if they didn't RSVP I'd have bouncers at the door to turn them away. With tasers.

As you know, I used to have a ton of gatherings at my house. Free form, bring food if you want, show up or don't. Casual, no stress. Might be 10 people show up, might be 60.

The problem came when meeting at a restaurant where you have to commit to a table with x-number of seats. There was always those types who would say they couldn't make it or refuse to commit, then show up anyway and take someone else's seat. So now you have to start jamming people in, which is annoying, and on one occasion the people who did RSVP showed up, found their seats were taken by an interloper, and left pissed, which pissed the rest of us off because nobody liked the interloper to begin with.

Anyone who does that never gets invited again.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
See, and if they didn't RSVP I'd have bouncers at the door to turn them away. With tasers.

As you know, I used to have a ton of gatherings at my house. Free form, bring food if you want, show up or don't. Casual, no stress. Might be 10 people show up, might be 60.

The problem came when meeting at a restaurant where you have to commit to a table with x-number of seats. There was always those types who would say they couldn't make it or refuse to commit, then show up anyway and take someone else's seat. So now you have to start jamming people in, which is annoying, and on one occasion the people who did RSVP showed up, found their seats were taken by an interloper, and left pissed, which pissed the rest of us off because nobody liked the interloper to begin with.

we had one super young couple (clearly new to the wedding and RSVP game) tell my husband they'd have to wait until the week of to RSVP as she might have to work ( :twitch: ) and my husband not understanding how seating and favors work, said sure! No big deal! ( :twitch: ) The week of they said no they couldn't make it, and then the MORNING of, as I'm gettin' my hair and makeup did, he texts me to say they can make the reception! :twitch: . So I shoved them at some random table and told them, since I wasn't expecting them, I unfortunately had no favors for them and to go lightly thru the buffet. Then they got drunk and loudly fought in the parking lot during the dancing :whack:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member

Who does that!?! How rude!

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member

I believe it! :lmao:

Why, that is downright rude and just plain cuckoo! :dork:

I was willing to elope as we were saving for our house, my fiancé sat me down, looked me in the eyes and said, "This is the one opportunity for all of our friends and family to stop what they are doing and acknowledge the love we have for each other. Money comes and goes, but we'll have these memories forever." I was sold. It was just as he said. We had just under 400 attend and 28+ years later we still watch the videos, and often rehash the memories and tell stories of old. We were still able to buy our house too.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I was willing to elope as we were saving for our house, my fiancé sat me down, looked me in the eyes and said, "This is the one opportunity for all of our friends and family to stop what they are doing and acknowledge the love we have for each other. Money comes and goes, but we'll have these memories forever." I was sold. It was just as he said. We had just under 400 attend and 28+ years later we still watch the videos, and often rehash the memories and tell stories of old. We were still able to buy our house too.
You posted quite a few of those videos not too long ago. 😄