We's camping now!

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
Don't let that fire fool you. It's working hard to heat a 2400 square ft 2 story house. Its 62° in here, a glass of water freezes on the window sill upstairs!

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Friend living NE of Dallas has no power and lots of snow on the ground. Said it is 6 degrees out, so he is warming himself in his vehicle outside.
My friend's power did come back on! :party: But it was -1 degrees this morning and forecast for another storm today, bringing several more inches of snow and a coating of ice. 🥶

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
My sister lives in a rural area outside Danville VA. Their power has been out for days. To make matters worse, they cannot use their woodstove because the chimney flu needs a new liner. To make matters even worse...they just received notice of another approaching ice storm that could lay as much as 3/4" of ice all over everything in their area. 3/4"!!

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
From my SIL this morning. NorthWest AR, short drive to Branson MO.

stgislander

PREMO Member
My sister lives in a rural area outside Danville VA. Their power has been out for days. To make matters worse, they cannot use their woodstove because the chimney flu needs a new liner. To make matters even worse...they just received notice of another approaching ice storm that could lay as much as 3/4" of ice all over everything in their area. 3/4"!!
They should have done a better job keeping their wind turbine unfrozen.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
They should have done a better job keeping their wind turbine unfrozen. View attachment 155242
:lmao: It's killin' them that they can't run their wood stove. Her hubby has that set up in the basement to heat the entire house. But they just discovered a piece of the clay liner fell out and down in to the main fireplace. Before they could get someone in there to install stainless flu liner...this storm hit.

DaSDGuy

:lmao: It's killin' them that they can't run their wood stove. Her hubby has that set up in the basement to heat the entire house. But they just discovered a piece of the clay liner fell out and down in to the main fireplace. Before they could get someone in there to install stainless flu liner...this storm hit.
That happened to my wood burning fireplace. We said screw it and converted it to gas logs. Remote control has a thermostat so it reaches the temp I set and turns off until the temp in the room drops. No mess, no fuss, no cleaning chimneys or ashes. Ceiling fans move the air and it heats the entire house if necessary.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
That happened to my wood burning fireplace. We said screw it and converted it to gas logs. Remote control has a thermostat so it reaches the temp I set and turns off until the temp in the room drops. No mess, no fuss, no cleaning chimneys or ashes. Ceiling fans move the air and it heats the entire house if necessary.
Their house is in the middle of hundreds of acres of forest that they, or other immediate family members, own. So...wood heat it's gonna stay. LOL.

DaSDGuy

Their house is in the middle of hundreds of acres of forest that they, or other immediate family members, own. So...wood heat it's gonna stay. LOL.
If I had that much free heat I would go that route too. Maybe contact the stainless flue guys and offer 1/2 cord of wood as part of the deal?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
If I had that much free heat I would go that route too. Maybe contact the stainless flue guys and offer 1/2 cord of wood as part of the deal?
I'm sure that if there was a way to expedite the job, BIL be all over it right now. He's pretty resourceful...heck, he built the house by himself. Every last bit of it..including that beautiful stone chimney..LOL. It's one of the most beautifully finished log houses I've ever seen...every stone and stick of wood in it coming off his property. Even stood up his own saw mill right there to build it.