We's camping now!

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Just found out about a tornado that touched down in North Carolina, killing 3. Turns out it was 20 miles from my brother's house. Very uncommon for that area. He's been trying to convince me to move down there, while my other brother has suggested I relocate to Arkansas.

Both really bad ideas right now.....

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
We're alive! :diva:

Power is on, probably temporarily, but we're charging stuff while the gittin' is good. Water came on this morning.

The power went out hard Monday morning 1:30am-ish. So all day Monday with no power in 20* temps, but we used the motorhome battery to power the furnace every few hours and ran the car to power our phones. Tuesday they decided to shut off the water. We use jug water anyway for drinking and had enough to last for days if we were careful, and when our 5 gal. toilet flushing water jug ran out Monello filled it up at the Laguna Madre and we had enough to share with neighbors.

What happened is that their wind turbines failed because of icing and cold. That put a load on the grid, which led to ERCOT (who is in the major doghouse right now) directing the power company to shut down electricity. Then it was determined that the water system was using too much energy, so they decided to shut that down as well.

The last two days there were long lines at the two gas stations that had power, and this morning they were all out of gas. Supposedly more is on the way.

We had a weather related death in the campground yesterday, no idea how many others locally or otherwise.

And guess what SPI local dorks were concerned with?

That's right, saving the turtles.

Not the people stranded with no water or electricity dealing with medical conditions, or the elderly, or those with infants and small children - turtles.

They turned the convention center, which could have been a shelter for humans, into a turtle rescue center. I'm not making that up.

Perhaps they did that to show solidarity with their kin because this emergency showed me without a doubt that liberal Democrats are post turtles. If you had one on your SHTF shortlist, take them off now because they're worthless in an emergency. They have screwed up priorities, they have no decision making skills, and they can't do anything for themselves. They are the ones who panic and wipe out the grocery stores instead of being prepared in the first place.

So anyway, hopefully the power will be on long enough to charge everything. Even more hopefully, it's on for good but I'm not counting on that.

I cannot stress this enough: when the weather is threatening, or better yet ALWAYS, have a full tank of gas in your car. Everything you need in an emergency boils down to having gas in your car. It can take you to find supplies, it can power your phone, it can take you out of the situation. If your car is out of gas, you are screwed.

black dog

Free America
We're alive! :diva:

Power is on, probably temporarily, but we're charging stuff while the gittin' is good. Water came on this morning.

The power went out hard Monday morning 1:30am-ish. So all day Monday with no power in 20* temps, but we used the motorhome battery to power the furnace every few hours and ran the car to power our phones. Tuesday they decided to shut off the water. We use jug water anyway for drinking and had enough to last for days if we were careful, and when our 5 gal. toilet flushing water jug ran out Monello filled it up at the Laguna Madre and we had enough to share with neighbors.

What happened is that their wind turbines failed because of icing and cold. That put a load on the grid, which led to ERCOT (who is in the major doghouse right now) directing the power company to shut down electricity. Then it was determined that the water system was using too much energy, so they decided to shut that down as well.

The last two days there were long lines at the two gas stations that had power, and this morning they were all out of gas. Supposedly more is on the way.

We had a weather related death in the campground yesterday, no idea how many others locally or otherwise.

And guess what SPI local dorks were concerned with?

That's right, saving the turtles.

Not the people stranded with no water or electricity dealing with medical conditions, or the elderly, or those with infants and small children - turtles.

They turned the convention center, which could have been a shelter for humans, into a turtle rescue center. I'm not making that up.

Perhaps they did that to show solidarity with their kin because this emergency showed me without a doubt that liberal Democrats are post turtles. If you had one on your SHTF shortlist, take them off now because they're worthless in an emergency. They have screwed up priorities, they have no decision making skills, and they can't do anything for themselves. They are the ones who panic and wipe out the grocery stores instead of being prepared in the first place.

So anyway, hopefully the power will be on long enough to charge everything. Even more hopefully, it's on for good but I'm not counting on that.

I cannot stress this enough: when the weather is threatening, or better yet ALWAYS, have a full tank of gas in your car. Everything you need in an emergency boils down to having gas in your car. It can take you to find supplies, it can power your phone, it can take you out of the situation. If your car is out of gas, you are screwed.

Gas in your car will not take someone through a few feet of snow or other natural disasters.
When the roads are out of commission most are SOL. You home were ever that may be, is where one should be capable of sustaining your family for days if not weeks....

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Gas in your car will not take someone through a few feet of snow or other natural disasters.
When the roads are out of commission most are SOL. You home were ever that may be, is where one should be capable of sustaining your family for days if not weeks....

Some people in the campground slept in their cars because they could turn on the car and get heat. I stand by my words.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Some people in the campground slept in their cars because they could turn on the car and get heat. I stand by my words.
I don't know why you didn't think to go to a hotel. I hear a Days Inn in Dallas was only $900 a night, if you were lucky enough to book early.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I don't know why you didn't think to go to a hotel. I hear a Days Inn in Dallas was only $900 a night, if you were lucky enough to book early.

All the hotels here either didn't have power and water either or they (all 2 or 3 of them) were full. The winter Texan demographic would happily spend $900/night for comfort, it just wasn't happening.

PeoplesElbow

I like turtles better than most people.

If someone needed to stay warm, why didnt they just volunteer to "help the turtles"?

Hijinx

Well I don't know the truth of the matter, but if hotels were gouging people they should be punished for it.
That said. I remember sleeping over at my Grandmother's when she had no heat. Back then a lot of people had no heat until they got up and got the wood stove going.
We had so many blankets on that it was hard for a kid to turn over.
When you got up your feet stuck to the linoleum on the floors as they froze to it until you got you clothes one.
But not many people froze to death. I guess a lot of people don't keep enough blankets around today.
Modern gadgets have made them soft.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
We had so many blankets on that it was hard for a kid to turn over.

When I was a kid I had two heavy quilts for my bed, and I used to lay my school clothes in the bed next to me overnight so I didn't have to get up and put on ice cold clothing. I could get dressed right under the covers.

But not many people froze to death.

People died of cold all the time in winter. Still do. They die in summer when the temps are extreme. Back in pioneer days whole families died during winter storms. One winter storm wiped out almost a whole town in Nebraska in the 1800s. And those were healthy people - the ones with a fragile system for whatever reason were definitely goners.

Anyway, now the cultbots are trying to say the wind turbines didn't fail, when there's pics of them at a standstill frozen solid with helicopters flying over them trying to de-ice them. That AOC dipshit went on Twitter spewing a pack of idiocy and the bots gobbled it up and are puking it right back out. Dumbass Steny posted on his FB "Oh thank you president* Biden for making a declaration! This will save lives!" and the bot army is right there to attack if you dare disagree with him.

Whatever Big Media says happened is what happened, regardless of what really happened.

Hijinx

When I was a kid I had two heavy quilts for my bed, and I used to lay my school clothes in the bed next to me overnight so I didn't have to get up and put on ice cold clothing. I could get dressed right under the covers.

People died of cold all the time in winter. Still do. They die in summer when the temps are extreme. Back in pioneer days whole families died during winter storms. One winter storm wiped out almost a whole town in Nebraska in the 1800s. And those were healthy people - the ones with a fragile system for whatever reason were definitely goners.

Anyway, now the cultbots are trying to say the wind turbines didn't fail, when there's pics of them at a standstill frozen solid with helicopters flying over them trying to de-ice them. That AOC dipshit went on Twitter spewing a pack of idiocy and the bots gobbled it up and are puking it right back out. Dumbass Steny posted on his FB "Oh thank you president* Biden for making a declaration! This will save lives!" and the bot army is right there to attack if you dare disagree with him.

Whatever Big Media says happened is what happened, regardless of what really happened.

Did you expect Steny to say anything different. ??
I doubt you did, You know what he is. He is a bot himself. Always was, always will be.
Never worked a real job in his life, sucking on that Maryland democrat Government tit.