PREMO Member
I kind of like Kwiper and Yoollia. :dance:
... And this Avatar would be perfect!

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
So as NOT to give clicks to the threads started by our resident #TDS sufferer I'm posting here. This is from a basic "intro to prepping" website:

The author's background:
I'm happy to answer those questions, but first let me introduce myself so you’ll have an idea of where my answers come from:
  • My name is Cathaleen Madsen, and I have a PhD in Biosciences which I earned through the National Center for Biodefense and Infectious Diseases at George Mason University.
  • My dissertation was on molecular virology, and though I didn’t work on Coronavirus, I’ll be happy to geek out over viral reproduction and surface proteins with anyone who’s interested.
  • I spent most of my electives in the Biodefense (policy) department, where I focused on mitigation of public fear and anxiety related to biological threats. So although this has nothing to do with who’s signing my paychecks these days, looking at risks and allaying fears is kind of what I do.

Regarding lethality, COVID-19 has a reported mortality rate around 2.3% according to CDC-China. But it’s important to remember that is some very basic math; it's just the total number of deaths divided by total number of confirmed cases. It doesn’t take into account things like people who had mild symptoms and never went to the doctor so they didn’t get counted (thus making the denominator larger), elderly age or previous medical conditions, or where and when they became infected. Not surprisingly, mortality has been much higher at the epicenter of the outbreak, where things happened very fast and new patients were met with already-exhausted healthcare resources. Remember that proper medical management, even if there’s no cure, is a significant factor in reducing the death toll. Medical centers and public health workers here in the U.S. are doing quite a lot of work behind the scenes to make sure that our resources are ready to meet the challenge, which is an advantage that the first round of patients in Wuhan didn’t have.

The punchline:
Above all, don’t panic. Go ahead and prep, but prep like you're facing a snowstorm in flu season, not like you're expecting the eruption of Yellowstone.

--- End of line (MCP)

truby20

Fighting like a girl
Every news outlet is freaking out about how coronavirus is a global pandemic that will kill us all....and yet fewer people have contracted it and died from it than contract and die from the normal flu that people get all the time.

Can someone explain this to me? The whole world is in such a hysterical tizzy that certainly it must be just me who isn't excited about this. Is 2000 deaths across the whole entire world population of 8 billion people really that catastrophic?

I honestly believe that this is manufactured hysteria designed to control us with fear. Someone talk me out of that and get me all ramped up about 2000 deaths globally. Explain to me why such a statistically insignificant number is cause for panic. Make me freak out.
My argument against this line of thought is “who” are the ones who would incite this panic? Do you think there is some world illuminate that triggered this?

or that we are looking at about 2% of the world about to be wiped out, yeah that’s a cause for alarm.

truby20

Fighting like a girl
But one would not think that global finance barons are hysterical sheep who overreact at fake news manipulation. So something is causing the market flux and the media blatherers assure me it's because we're all going to die of coronavirus, or at least all the Chinese people will.

Roughly 27,000 Chinese people die each and every day - this statistic comes from the maffs of 10 million deaths per year. Am I to believe that 2000 deaths over a few months causes a mass panic? Or is even noticed?
You’ve been wrong about this since day one.

it’s a hybrid of the common cold and SARS, it has the potential to overwhelm already strained hospitals.

This isn’t that hard to understand.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
You’ve been wrong about this since day one.

it’s a hybrid of the common cold and SARS, it has the potential to overwhelm already strained hospitals.

This isn’t that hard to understand.
So how many millions are you predicting will die? 30? 50? 100? More?

truby20

Fighting like a girl
Or winter.

Remember when it used to be simply called "the Alberta clipper", and now it's called something like "The Swirling Polar Vortex of Galactic Doom" or some such nonsense.

I have a suspicion that TV anchors are only just barely containing their raging priapisms in anticipation of declaring a "GLOBAL PANDEMIC ... EVERY BODY ****ING RUN FOR YOUR CHILDREN'S LIVES"

View attachment 145642
You still watch TV?

truby20

Fighting like a girl
I remember when inline thunderstorms became "wind sheers", then that wasn't scary enough so they became "derechos". I can't wait for them to become "Invisible Death Gust Devils".🌪

the Derecho occurred 8 years ago

give me one instance where that term has been used locally since.

you can’t, it’s like saying “they are now calling these long wind storms hurricanes”

just because you’re ignorant doesn’t mean it’s not a valid term

truby20

Fighting like a girl
Maybe I am nuts. I believe the Chinese invented this virus in their bio-weapons lab and it got loose.
They really do not know hoow serious it is so they are panicing, because it is killing people in their country which it was not intended for.
If it is loose and causes real problems all over the world it could bring down hell for them.
You are nuts

give me an example of a single new “virus” produced that manifests itself as something currently in a bat.

truby20

Fighting like a girl
CNN, MSNBC and Pelosi, Scumer and their ilk. Probably more...those are just the ones I've watched personally get hyperbolic and blaming Trump for it all.

But duh..that's what they do. That's all they ever do.
So Pelosi convinced Japan to close schools until April?

Convinced Delta to stop flights until April to China?

You folks can’t be this entranced, can you? The market that has been basically straight up since Trump was elected has now turned dramatically, and you want to blame Pelosi??

she literally had a month long impeachment trial and the market went up up up

I never thought that this would be the result of the deplorable, that they were so deranged that they would blame Nancy Pelosi for a global pandemic.

Guess what folks, this isn’t political, that’s why both the house and senate gave the White House well over what they requested. You think everything has to do with Trump, Pelosi, Hillary, whoever. Thankfully society has forced the majority of you into retirement.

this chart is all you need to see, financial folks don’t give two hoots about pelosi, don’t believe me? Look at the performance after Trump was elected

Attachments

• 8A1B0A56-FAD5-4F11-9AD3-A145E930DA93.jpeg
    8A1B0A56-FAD5-4F11-9AD3-A145E930DA93.jpeg
    363.5 KB · Views: 78