What is there to Hate??

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by SxyPrincess
Bed Bath & Beyond

Neiman Marcus

in terms of shopping experiences, I have never heard BB&B mentioned along with neimanmarcus. NM is kinda funny, one of those stores where you look at the tag, you probably can't afford it
:biggrin:
Maybe when I'm CEO of SmallTown enterprises I can buy the $400 dress shirt! :biggrin:

SxyPrincess

Originally posted by SmallTown
When you can get something for cheaper somewhere else, the name on the bag is useless.
While I agree some brands don't matter to me, I have a hard time buying clothes from Target, Walmart...etc. I'll buy bath stuff, socks, underwear and crap like that, but I'd rather spend my hard-earned money on nicer clothing from department stores. If that makes me materialistic, so be it. :ohwell:

SxyPrincess

in terms of shopping experiences, I have never heard BB&B mentioned along with neimanmarcus.
But...how many SoMD consumers shop at BB&B? If you get a chance, try the chocolate chip cookies from NM. They are :yum:

http

Someone that gets it! People have this belief that as long as they spend a lot of money, they are getting a better product. Not always the case. A lot of people become rich because they are smart, not because they waste money. When you can get something for cheaper somewhere else, the name on the bag is useless. The name stores do offer different selections at times (pottery barn vs pier-1 for example) which is why they go to them.
We buy a lot of junk from target and BJs so that we can afford our $4 a cup coffee

:biggrin:

Although we all seem to be in somewhat of concordance with the point about the difference in preferences, I do have to burst the bubble on that down comforter. There is a difference between a $50 and $500 down comforter. For one, the thread count, but I think everyone knows that. What is a bigger difference is that expensive down comforters have a higher down to feather ratio. As you know feathers are real little feathers with real little razor sharp quills, I guess you call them. Down are those little flakes like dandelion fuzz that float. Expensive comforters are 50/50. Cheap ones, or I should say less-expensive ones are 80/20 feather. The quaility is probably fine, its just nothing but a big stuffed pillow case, but 80/20 feathers poke the hell out of you, sometimes to the point of pain.

Christy

b*tch rocket
While I agree some brands don't matter to me, I have a hard time buying clothes from Target, Walmart...etc. I'll buy bath stuff, socks, underwear and crap like that, but I'd rather spend my hard-earned money on nicer clothing from department stores. If that makes me materialistic, so be it. :ohwell:

Actually, my Target clothes have lasted WAY longer than any of my Department Store purchased clothes. All my stuff from Hechts, Belks etc is ready for the rag bag, and my el cheapo Target stuff still looks great. :neener:

SmallTown

Football season!
But...how many SoMD consumers shop at BB&B? If you get a chance, try the chocolate chip cookies from NM. They are :yum:

Was the store in Waldorf BB&B? I forget. We just got new bedroom stuff from the one in springfield.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
But...how many SoMD consumers shop at BB&B?

:howdy: But I shop there very carefully because the pricing can be outrageous on some things. But you can get some great deals if you look.

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by jazz lady
:howdy: But I shop there very carefully because the pricing can be outrageous on some things. But you can get some great deals if you look.

Yea, it really is hit and miss. When we were buying our new bedroom stuff, we went EVERYWHERE comparing prices... BB&B, Linens N Things, Hects, Macys, etc... One that we saw at JCPenneys was on a huge sale, but was still higher than the BB&B one. We didn't see the one we bought anywhere else, so we couldn't really compare... Hopefully we didn't get bent over :biggrin:

Christy

b*tch rocket
But it doesn't have "Harley Davidson" written across your chest. :razz:

I think I burnt out on Harley Gear years ago! :lmao: The way I see it, if I don't have the Harley then I'm not bothering with wearing the accessories to it. :lmao: Someday when my kids stop bankrupting me, Harley Davidson will benefit from my purchasing power. :wink:

SxyPrincess

Originally posted by Christy
The way I see it, if I don't have the Harley then I'm not bothering with wearing the accessories to it. :lmao:
I'm working on my "big" accessory. And the way I see it, by the time I get it, I'll have all the little accessories I need. :wink:

F

Flo

Same here on Wal-Mart clothing :cheesy:

I only buy household items at Wal-Mart, i.e. bath items, underclothes, coffee (Maxwell House) :wink:, paper products, and other bulk items.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I can't believe we're still talking about this.

ST, most companies know what they're doing. If they scout an area and find that it's not going to be financially beneficial for them to put a store in, they don't. It's that simple.

I'll bet there are about 2,000 people in St. Mary's that are longing for a Pottery Barn. But that's not enough to support them going in. Look at their store locations:

http://ww1.potterybarn.com/cs/index.cfm?sect=storelist&src=cstsstorelocator/hme

They are NOWHERE where the population isn't huge or the median income isn't enormous. They cater to an upscale clientele, not the average St. Mary's County resident. Starbuck's is different because it's a small indulgence, not a large ticket item.

Again, if you think you know more about marketing their product than they do, by all means give them a call. Let us know how it goes.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Also, you have a perfectly good internet at your disposal. And since most stores have a shop online feature, you have a shopping mecca right at your fingertips. Dirt world stores suck anyway.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Originally posted by vraiblonde

I can't believe people actually leave their house to shop anymore! :yikes: :lmao: Most places have online shopping, so even if you live in Antarctica you can purchase from ST's Mecca of upscale delights (aka Potter Barn :wink: ). :shrug:

F

Flo

Originally posted by Christy
Actually, my Target clothes have lasted WAY longer than any of my Department Store purchased clothes. All my stuff from Hechts, Belks etc is ready for the rag bag, and my el cheapo Target stuff still looks great. :neener:

I usually buy my clothes at Belks or J.C. Penny's in the Wildwood Shopping Center. Once in a while I shop at the clothing store (Marilynn's) in the McKay's Plaza, Charlotte Hall. I also have a problem of wearing some clothing once or twice, and then they fall apart after the first washing. I have tried washing by hand even when they say machine wash, and they still shrink. If I machine wash, sometimes they fall apart at the seams.

The only problem with Wal-Mart and Target, is that my figure isn't the same as when I was 21, and I can't quite wear some of the tacky looking dresses to the floor, or up on my hips! :razz2: The styles are certainly not made for the "Over 50 Lady." :burning: I don't like to dress too old, but I certainly can't see myself (less get into) some of these teeny-bopper/hip-hop styles they have out here.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Also, you have a perfectly good internet at your disposal. And since most stores have a shop online feature, you have a shopping mecca right at your fingertips. Dirt world stores suck anyway.

Hey! You stole my thought! :bawl:

SmallTown

Football season!

ST, most companies know what they're doing. If they scout an area and find that it's not going to be financially beneficial for them to put a store in, they don't. It's that simple.

I'll bet there are about 2,000 people in St. Mary's that are longing for a Pottery Barn. But that's not enough to support them going in. Look at their store locations:

http://ww1.potterybarn.com/cs/index.cfm?sect=storelist&src=cstsstorelocator/hme

For the record, I'm not the one that mentioned pottery barn. Thats is the knee-jerk reaction I always get on here when I say anything about growth. I'm not really sure who was the first to mention it in this thread as an "option" for somd. I don't see a pottery barn going in anytime within the next 10-15 years, if ever.

SmallTown

Football season!
Online shopping definately is great, but not for everything. Clothes for the most part are usless online. Our bodies (and clothes manufacturers) are always changing, you really need to try on things to make sure they work.
Some household stuff is good to buy online. But if your looking for say, new flatware, you really need to have it in your hand to know of you like it. Same thing for dishes. And sheets. Just because something says it is xxx thread count, different ones just feel different. And electronics... You can read reviews until you turn blue, but those reviewers aren't using the product when you buy it, you are. I will admit, I have gone to best buy once or twice to try out some stuff, and then found the one I liked online and bought it. But it was nice to have the store there so I could test each one. And sometime you see things at stores that you would have never thought to look at online (this has happened many times at Le Gourmet Chef)