What the he##! -- -2-month waiting period to get "Real ID" drivers licenses

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
What I don't get is that in a lot of democrat controlled states they have issued driver's licenses to illegals residents.
How in the blue blazes do you issue a "Real ID" that now makes them look like a citizen? Doesn't that defeat the purpose?

They would fail on the document piece.

hitchicken

After 9/11, Real ID was a great idea. Tying it to driver's licenses was a very bad idea. Real ID SHOULD have implemented with an advancement of rapid biometrics. Fingerprints, facial recognition, palm prints, DNA, iris/retina scan, voice cannot be duplicated and do NOT reveal any privacy secrets. Birth certificates, SSN #, etc. and other personal documents are ripe for stolen IDs. Biometrics are not. But, like always, the govt took a great idea and f****d it up.

BernieP

Resident PIA
They would fail on the document piece.
So do they get a different drivers license or what?
If all they need is a social security card, hell, I have an inkjet printer, a little card stock.
Mine is so old it remembers when it was illegal for anyone to require you SSN for anything other than social security, not your taxes, credit cards, bank statements, etc. Now it's like a ID card, but without any real security or authentication.
But a great piece of information to steal ID's with.

BernieP

Resident PIA
They get IDs and Driver's Licenses but those are not RealID compliant. You are not forced to be RealID compliant...but if your ID is not, it cannot be used for certain things, like ID to fly somewhere.
I have a passport and CAC (Government ID)

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
They get IDs and Driver's Licenses but those are not RealID compliant. You are not forced to be RealID compliant...but if your ID is not, it cannot be used for certain things, like ID to fly somewhere.
If that's all it's for, along with visiting gubment buildings, why should I get one?

Hessian

I was dopey enough to mail in my re-registration form for September...in Mid August. Still waiting for a little sticker,...and I REALLY don't want to get a ticket.
I DID MY DUTY ON TIME.
And my state...is continuing to follow the levels of incompetence widely renown in California & NY.

So...NOW do people realize what Government -run medicine would look like?

hitchicken

Mine is so old it remembers when it was illegal for anyone to require you SSN for anything other than social security, not your taxes, credit cards, bank statements, etc. Now it's like a ID card, but without any real security or authentication.
But a great piece of information to steal ID's with.

Remember when you were once encouraged to engrave your valuables with your SSN# so if they were ever stolen they could be IDed as belonging to you? I do.

Get a PO box in Florida. It took me about 20 minutes, in a completely empty fl facility to get a Drivers Licence. Also registered my car there, for 1/2 what MD charges per year.

Bonus in a year, no MD state taxes, as I am out of state at least 6 months a year.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Get a PO box in Florida. It took me about 20 minutes, in a completely empty fl facility to get a Drivers Licence. Also registered my car there, for 1/2 what MD charges per year.

Bonus in a year, no MD state taxes, as I am out of state at least 6 months a year.
So have you changed your house here to "Not owner occupied/not primary residence" since you're now a Florida resident?

1stGenSMIB

C'mon people...I helped my 81 year old step-father submit his real ID application and make an appt a couple weeks out with no problem in June using his own computer in Loveville.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
C'mon people...I helped my 81 year old step-father submit his real ID application and make an appt a couple weeks out with no problem in June using his own computer in Loveville.
How did you submit all the required documents?

Tech

I was dopey enough to mail in my re-registration form for September...in Mid August. Still waiting for a little sticker,...and I REALLY don't want to get a ticket.
I DID MY DUTY ON TIME.
And my state...is continuing to follow the levels of incompetence widely renown in California & NY.

So...NOW do people realize what Government -run medicine would look like?
Renewed online, got the sticker in 11 days.