What the hell is going on in LaPlata??

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/for...-from-daughters-school-over-101349990312.html

yahoo front page. Interesting. Personally, I think it is a gross over reaction on both of their parts. Its a historical lesson and the proper thing to do is to tell your kid to do the assignment as asked then have a family discussion about your own beliefs and why you think that the assignment is wrong. You cannot shelter children from life and it isnt fair to use your child's grades and school life to make some ridiculous POINT about how you feel about things. Not to mention, her whole life she will have to be exposed to and do things she does not want to do or feels inst fair. Way to give a ####ty lesson to your kid that the way to handle things you dont want to do is to run to the media.

However, he should not have been banned, he made no physical threats according to most of the sources ive read and listened to. An overreaction on their part.

Hannibal

I stopped at "I am good buddies with an admin"

Take it for what it's worth - just trying to provide some facts rather than rely on heresay and media (which we know always gets it right). It seems pretty obvious that many people simply grab onto whatever information that suits their argument.

Hijinx

The three-page assignment asked questions including, "How did Muslim conquerors treat those they conquered?"

A homework assignment obtained by MyFoxDC.com showed the correct answer was, “With tolerance, kindness and respect."

Come on now. When has Islam ever treat anyone conquered with tolerance Kindness and respect.
If Islam is top be taught in schools let's try to stick to the truth.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Take it for what it's worth - just trying to provide some facts rather than rely on heresay and media (which we know always gets it right). It seems pretty obvious that many people simply grab onto whatever information that suits their argument.

Why should we believe your friend? For that matter, why should we believe you? We don't know you, or your friend. Just because you post on the same forum, doesn't mean I should trust you. Just a thought.

Hannibal

I'd really like to know what the father threatened to do? A disruption can be caused in many ways. Such as bringing this to the attention of other parents, getting the media involved, or organizing a group of people to picket in front of the school and block traffic. So, I'm not going to take any sides on this particular item.

He was going to "raise hell". He had also become very argumentative and abrasive when confronting administration about. The quote previously noted was ""I told her straight up, ‘you could take that Muslim-loving piece of paper and shove it up your white [expletive],’” He was also quoted as saying he was going to bring a "#### storm" down on them and that the school was "violating his daughter's constitutional rights". A) Any guy that needs to make a scene like that, talk like that and then threaten to bring a #### storm down on them is a bit off. B) The school is not violating anyone's constitutional rights. They are following published curriculum issued by the State.

So, while it's nice that you have someone on the inside to give you their POV, I really can't see how anyone will ever know what exactly happened, and forming any opinion will be difficult to do. There are just too many variables.

I am not offering my "inside" scoop to push my opinion to you. I clearly noted "fact" in terms of what happend and then identified what was my opinion. There is also a lot more detail if you read up on some of the earliest versions of the story (before Fox and/or Yahoo ran with it and added their own "flavor").

At the end of the day, it's in the State curriculum and has been. The teachers are obligated to teach it and test it. The administrators would carry the responsibility of managing "how" it's taught if that is a concern. There is no violation of one's constitutional rights (as I said, I lean far to the right and would be screaming if I thought there was). Personally, I think the guy is making an mountain out of a molehill and is using his service to further that agenda. That bothers me as I think there is a better means to an end.

Of note, I personally believe it would be a beter approach for the school to take a softer stand on the issue (perhaps allows an alternative assignment) but I am not privy to the latitude they have in the matter.

Hannibal

Why should we believe your friend? For that matter, why should we believe you? We don't know you, or your friend. Just because you post on the same forum, doesn't mean I should trust you. Just a thought.

Honestly, I really couln't care less. Personally, as I said above, I think it's a non-issue that got blown up and think it's foolish that it has gotten to this level. I also find it funny that people jump on the bandwagon and speculate. Go back and read some of the earliest articles that were written on the issue .... before it showed up on your Facebook or Yahoo page. Before some of the more mainstream newspages started excluding certain parts or painting their own story.

When I first read about this issue, I made contact with my friend. At that time, he wasn't even aware of the issue. It blew up in this past week.

Ultimately, at the end of the day, what motive would I really have to provide misinformation? While I understand I don't have a lengthy tenure here, I would think my limited posting would at least offer some insight on my personality and some level of assurance that i am not some ####-stirrer.

Homeland

If anything, Marines should be held to a higher standard of behavior. We are brought up to lead by example.

I think this is embarrassing.

First, I think he's completely wrong. In finally reading all of the articles about this, I found the information I was looking for. When it is relevant to history, there is information discussed about religion. Nobody is teaching anyone "religion" but about that religion at that period of time in history.

Again, I think this guy is completely wrong, but I do see how his being a Marine is relevant. If I am wrong about my opinion, and he is right, I think our current conflicts in parts of the world which are predominantly Muslim and the fact that people who are Muslim are killing Americans and using their religion as some sort of justification, a person who has defended this country may have a stronger opinion than someone who has never served.

That said, I think he is a horrible representation of a Marine. To settle his dispute in this manner does not honor Marines at all.

BigBlue

Agreed. I think the secretive handling of the assignment by the daughter may have started the father believing there was some nefarious intent with the homework. I also agree with those who question whether other world religions are getting equal exposure in the history classes.

Being a Monday morning QB seems the girl knows her Dad and was trying not to have this go the way it has gone ,she is much smarter then her parents are .Question when teaching history ,can you teach it without mentioning religion at all , I don't think so .I mean how do you teach WWII and not mention what happen to people who were Jewish or of Jewish decent ?

Also I keep hearing that the father was protecting her constitutional rights ,what rights were violated ?

Last edited:

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/for...-from-daughters-school-over-101349990312.html

However, he should not have been banned, he made no physical threats according to most of the sources ive read and listened to. An overreaction on their part.

During the two weeks that the lesson on Islam has been taught, Kevin and Melissa’s daughter has been pulled out of the classroom,

TWO WEEKS!? That better be one class a week, otherwise, they are overexposing Islam.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
TWO WEEKS!? That better be one class a week, otherwise, they are overexposing Islam.

That reads like the remainder of the class, as in she had already had (maybe) a week before being pulled out for the following 2 weeks. Am I reading that right?

slowlane

looking over the assignment as posted, it doesn't seem out of line to me. There is a difference between teaching about another religion and advocating it's adoption.

These are full, objective details of the incident http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/laplata.asp

Surprised that the father, Wood, after eight years in USMC, hasn't advanced beyond the rank of Corporal. That's an indication he must have problems. A friend of mine who is a retired teacher and a Marine, agrees.

Last edited:

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
These are full, objective details of the incident http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/laplata.asp

Surprised that the father, Wood, after eight years in USMC, hasn't advanced beyond the rank of Corporal. That's an indication he must have problems. A friend of mine who is a retired teacher and a Marine, agrees.

:yeahthat: Because snopes is a bastion of conservative thinking. It's GOT to be true.

terbear1225

"Wood's wife, Melissa, wondered how teaching about one religion is considered a history lesson while teaching about Christianity would be viewed diffrerently."

"We cannot discuss our Ten Commandments in school but they can discuss Islam's Five Pillars?"

Anyone want to place bets on whether this school teaches about the renaissance or reformation period without ever mentioning christianity?

terbear1225

The three-page assignment asked questions including, "How did Muslim conquerors treat those they conquered?"

A homework assignment obtained by MyFoxDC.com showed the correct answer was, “With tolerance, kindness and respect."

Come on now. "When has Islam ever treat anyone conquered with tolerance Kindness and respect."
If Islam is top be taught in schools let's try to stick to the truth.

Southern Spain, 700-1400's. Muslims Jews and Christians living together in relative peace and tolerance.

BigBlue

yahoo front page. Interesting. Personally, I think it is a gross over reaction on both of their parts. Its a historical lesson and the proper thing to do is to tell your kid to do the assignment as asked then have a family discussion about your own beliefs and why you think that the assignment is wrong. You cannot shelter children from life and it isnt fair to use your child's grades and school life to make some ridiculous POINT about how you feel about things. Not to mention, her whole life she will have to be exposed to and do things she does not want to do or feels inst fair. Way to give a ####ty lesson to your kid that the way to handle things you dont want to do is to run to the media.

Wrong ,the father did threaten to shove a piece of paper up the VP's rear hole .The real threat was bring other media to and on high school grounds ,it's the schools responsibility to protect the kids and to teach them ,bring in outside media would only create a circus .The school was 110% right in what they did .

slowlane

While we may disagree greatly with of the practices of some branches of Islam, the fact remains that Islam, for better or worse, has been an important part of world history. Muslims represent 26% of the global population, and they are in the world to stay. By giving our students - and overseas soldiers, businessmen, and aid workers - an understanding of the basic fundamentals of Islamic history and culture, instead of having their only knowledge come from short sound bites, caricatures, and stereotypes, they will be better prepared to deal with Islamic people and culture.

Last edited:

mamatutu

mama to two
While we may disagree greatly with of the practices of some branches of Islam, the fact remains that Islam, for better or worse, has been an important part of world history. Muslims represent 26% of the global population, and they are in the world to stay. By giving our students - and overseas soldiers, businessmen, and aid workers - an understanding of the basic fundamentals of Islamic history and culture, instead of having their only knowledge come from short sound bites, caricatures, and stereotypes, they will be better prepared to deal with Islamic people and culture.

I like what you said, but how do we deal with barbarianism in this modern age; as in beheadings? It is a shame that all Muslims are identified with the extreme Muslims, but that is what is happening. The non-extremist Muslims are not speaking out to a degree that the world hears them, and differentiates them. They are being absorbed into the world of hate.

One other thing I wanted to say here is that the Marine dad probably reacted to what he experienced/saw in his time in the ME. He prob saw his fellow Americans being killed in the name of Islam. I don't blame him one bit for his reaction. Not for one minute. Not at all. Step up Muslims if you believe your faith is the religion of peace. Separate yourselves from these horrid events, and pronounce yourself different. Speak out, and stop demanding US policies/laws be changed for you. And, you know what to do with your Sharia law in America. The sun doesn't shine there. If the majority of you are peace loving, prove it.

I totally get why the Marine dad went off, and do, also, believe the school went overboard to save their ass. I, also, believe the history books are being rewritten and that Common Core is much more than math. Common Core just has a really bad ring to it. It might as well be called Communist Core.

Last edited:

PJay

..and now he's a firefighter....yup..he's retarded, sick and a mental piece of trash!

:sticksheadinfreezer: