Which religion(s) do you have a problem with?

Which religion(s) do you have a problem with?

• Muslim

Votes: 22 40.7%
  • Buddist

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Jews

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Christian-Catholic

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • Christian-Protostan

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Scientology

Votes: 30 55.6%
  • Wiccans

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • All of the above

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • Other

Votes: 13 24.1%

• Total voters

This_person

so basically you're saying principles didn't come from an almighty being, but from religion. so if not an almighty being, then 'religion' would be developed by people and thereby pointless to worship, since who's to say which people are any better than others when it comes to moral principles.

Good job at disproving your argument :buddies:
That's quite a circle you drew around yourself, but not what I said at all.
If anything, I'd trust my own moral compass above anyone elses. So why would I follow religion if it's just made up by a bunch of potentially corrupt and unknown people that were around thousands of years ago? Maybe they got it wrong. :gasp:

I'm not necessarily arguing that what I just said is correct, but you just argued their point more than your own.
No, not really - YOU just argued your version of my point as theirs, which is very different than me arguing what you said.

What I said, argued, believe, whatever, is that there is one true religion. Which one it is is completely unimportant for this discussion, however.

When asked about morals, I suggested that it's arrogant for an atheist to suggest that they either don't get their morals from religion, or, to not get their morals from religion and therefore get them from their own devising.

What that means is that the vast majority of people in this nation (the ones who I have a logical chance to be referring to) are surrounded by the vast majority of people who claim one religion or another - I believe it's around 90+% that say they belong to and believe in one religion or another (however, anything over 50% makes my argument true). So, since these people get at least some part of their moral compass from their religion, an atheist must either ignore the actions of a majority of people around them, or, accept that at least some part of their moral code are from the experiences they have with people's religious moral codes.

Now, different religions have different moral codes. If you grew up in the mid-east, stoning a teenage girl for being raped (because she was morally bankrupt enough to put herself in a position where she could be raped) would be perfectly normal - and a religious based moral code. Here in the US, that is outrageously wrong to us - based in no small part on our religious based moral code.

So, I neither claimed that any religion gets its code from an Almighty Being (because, at least some don't even claim to) nor that the Being in question exists or doesn't exist. You put quite a bit of words into my mouth, and virtually none of them were right.

sunmoonstars

He gave his only begotten Son...
That means He is His Son??
He's His own Grandpa??
That's quite the interpretation..

God is a spirit.
Jesus was his son, (God manifest in the flesh.)
God was not a human (he was/is spirit) until he became flesh as Jesus.
Understanding the oneness of God can be confusing.

sunmoonstars

I think he's getting at that while condemnation doesn't require hell (obviously), you won't get any worse then a condemnation from a church.

(seriously, eternity in hell for -not believing- in an entity that won't show himself?)

(why would anyone even want to believe in that?)

Condemnation is not from a church that comes from the devil.
Conviction is from God.

L

luckystar

What I said, argued, believe, whatever, is that there is one true religion. Which one it is is completely unimportant for this discussion, however.
I respect that you have your own religion, and have not insulted you for it; everyone is entitled to their own beliefs without being ostracized. I'm only asking that I not be referred to as arrogant for mine.

This_person

I respect that you have your own religion, and have not insulted you for it; everyone is entitled to their own beliefs without being ostracized. I'm only asking that I not be referred to as arrogant for mine.
I agree, and I'm glad no one has done that.

This_person

I'm sure she appreciates your condescension.
It gets frustrating to explain the same thing in different ways over and over gain because someone doesn't understand.

Me: Blue = blue

Someone else: Yeah, but if blue is green, then you're wrong

Me: Yep, I would be wrong, but I'm saying blue is blue

Someone else: You're an ignorant religious whackjob for calling blue green

Me: If I called blue green, I'd be wrong, but I'm saying blue is blue

Someone else: See, you called blue green!!! You're an idiot

This gets old really fast.

L

luckystar

Exactly - the moral choice is is what I was saying the arrogance is by atheists.

You got it now!! Good job!!

My moral choice is mine, and you called it arrogant. That was insulting. To me. As a person. I am insulted by you calling something about me arrogant. You called my moral choice arrogant. That insulted me.

How do I have to say it? Am I lesser to you for not having a religion?