Why you like Southern Maryland/ Things to do

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Go straight up Rt4 is will take you right to the museums.
Go on a Sun in the early morning and there shouldn't be any traffic, you might even find parking right out front of one of them if your early enough.
It takes a day to see each museum (if you really take the time to look at everything). They're free and you can pack a lunch and find a bench.

Stop by a MD visitors center and they should have plenty of guides/maps and calendars of events to start you off. There's one on this side of the Potomac River bridge. Sure they have a web site also.

:yay: I used to take my 2 boys (commonly known as Thing1 & Thing2 here on the forums) up to DC a LOT before they got too teenager-fied and didn't want to go much, and now have a lot of activities themselves.

BUT, we would often go on a Sunday morning - no traffic to speak of - drove up Rt. 4 all the way to Capitol Hill. A lot of times we've found parking right on the grounds of the Capitol beside that reflecting pool. You are within distance of the Capitol (of course!) and you can easily walk to museums. Or after you've parked - you can take the Metro to virtually anyplace in Washington, DC that you want to see. I also suggest Arlington National Cemetery as another historical place to visit.

You can't do it all in one day unless you are only sightseeing from the car. Like the previous suggestions, my suggestion is pick one place you want to visit - take a picnic lunch and spend the day. Picnics are cheaper, but also save you time from driving around looking for a place to eat.

It's combining history and fun along with family time all in one activity!

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Buy a tractor with a bucket and a backhoe and you and your neighbors will never run out of things for you to do.

Ohiogirl

:yay: I used to take my 2 boys (commonly known as Thing1 & Thing2 here on the forums) up to DC a LOT before they got too teenager-fied and didn't want to go much, and now have a lot of activities themselves.

BUT, we would often go on a Sunday morning - no traffic to speak of - drove up Rt. 4 all the way to Capitol Hill. A lot of times we've found parking right on the grounds of the Capitol beside that reflecting pool. You are within distance of the Capitol (of course!) and you can easily walk to museums. Or after you've parked - you can take the Metro to virtually anyplace in Washington, DC that you want to see. I also suggest Arlington National Cemetery as another historical place to visit.

You can't do it all in one day unless you are only sightseeing from the car. Like the previous suggestions, my suggestion is pick one place you want to visit - take a picnic lunch and spend the day. Picnics are cheaper, but also save you time from driving around looking for a place to eat.

It's combining history and fun along with family time all in one activity!

I think we're going to go check out the natural history museum, or air and space museum within the next few weeks. I had no idea we could just take RT 4. Finally, something to look forward to!

itsbob- My husband and his friend came up with the idea to attach a truck tire to the ride on lawn mower, and make a nitro RC track in our old backyard (which was on a military base) The MPs got called..I think the neighbors got upset..lmao.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
I think we're going to go check out the natural history museum, or air and space museum within the next few weeks. I had no idea we could just take RT 4. Finally, something to look forward to!

itsbob- My husband and his friend came up with the idea to attach a truck tire to the ride on lawn mower, and make a nitro RC track in our old backyard (which was on a military base) The MPs got called..I think the neighbors got upset..lmao.
Well since you brought it up....we do have lawn mower races here. :lmao:
5th Annual St. Mary's County National Lawn Mower Racing - Southern Maryland News, Charles County, Calvert County and St. Mary's County News
Lawn Mower Racing - with Exclusive Helmet Cam Footage! - Southern Maryland News, Charles County, Calvert County and St. Mary's County News

Smiley

Well you won't find much to do around here. It's quiet and this time of season, not much to do unfortunately. The sad part is that the mall is 45 mins away if you just want to go and get out of the house. Try going to our ONLY movie theater in the area.:popcorn:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Well you won't find much to do around here. It's quiet and this time of season, not much to do unfortunately. The sad part is that the mall is 45 mins away if you just want to go and get out of the house. Try going to our ONLY movie theater in the area.:popcorn:

If she has base access, she can use the station theatre.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

Is that all you what you do when you want to get out of the house? :popcorn:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I hate movie theaters. If I could have it all to myself, I'd go. Unfortunately I have to share it with obnoxious teenagers (and adults) who insist on talking, chewing and being a general annoyance. Plus they won't pause the movie when I have to go pee or refill my drink.

Never really understood the lure of the movie theater since they invented DVDs and VOD.

I don't get the lure of the mall, either, but I'm also not much of a recreational shopper. If I want to just get out of the house, I'm more likely to just take a drive and explore the area.

Toxick

Splat
Never really understood the lure of the movie theater since they invented DVDs and VOD.

From an entertainment and movie-watching perspective, home theaters are far more desirable than going to a movie theater, for the reason's you cited along with many other reasons.

But from the perspective of someone who wants to socialize or go on dates, movie theaters are infinitely better. If I'm taking a new girlfriend out, what better way to have fun than hanging out in a huge dark room sitting next to her waiting for my opportunity to casually put my arm around her shoulder or accidentally touch hands in the popcorn bucket, or throwing ice-caps at your buddies and texting the losers who couldn't come.

Obviously this is way less exciting if you're sitting on your parents' couch, with the damned cat trying to eat your nachos.

Vince

I hate movie theaters. If I could have it all to myself, I'd go. Unfortunately I have to share it with obnoxious teenagers (and adults) who insist on talking, chewing and being a general annoyance. Plus they won't pause the movie when I have to go pee or refill my drink.

I don't get the lure of the mall, either, but I'm also not much of a recreational shopper. If I want to just get out of the house, I'm more likely to just take a drive and explore the area.
:yeahthat: Haven't been to a theater in years just for that reason. I usually wait until it comes out on DVD and watch it at home......cold beer, free food, etc.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Obviously this is way less exciting if you're sitting on your parents' couch, with the damned cat trying to eat your nachos.

That's why people of a certain age should have their own place. Plus if you're at a movie theater and sense some sexual compliance in your date, the ride home gives her a chance to change her mind before you can jump her.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
Been to Ohio and have many friends there, and in the winter up there you're stuck inside all the time. Snow, snow and more snow. At least down here you can get out of your house after a snowfall.
I was going to say the same thing! (I'm from Ohio)

Thing2 was in Ohio this weekend and there is 4" of snow on the ground up near Lake Erie. Talk about COLD!!
:confused: Never heard of Winter sports? The Winter Olympics, perhaps?

Skating, downhill/XC skiing, tobogganing, snowshoeing, snowmobiling. Heck, you can even run and bike ride during Winter if you layer well.

I'd rather be in an area that has a snowy Winter for the diversity of activities. Better than being somewhere that's all... brown.

As has been said, if you can't find things to do, you're not looking hard enough.

Carry on. :coffee:

:confused: Never heard of Winter sports? The Winter Olympics, perhaps?

Skating, downhill/XC skiing, tobogganing, snowshoeing, snowmobiling. Heck, you can even run and bike ride during Winter if you layer well.

I'd rather be in an area that has a snowy Winter for the diversity of activities. Better than being somewhere that's all... brown.

As has been said, if you can't find things to do, you're not looking hard enough.

Carry on. :coffee:

Depends on how creative you want to get....

Attachments

• white-trash-repairs-snow-harley.jpg
    white-trash-repairs-snow-harley.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 136

FED_UP

I'm hoping that we just moved here during the wrong season and once spring and summer arrive, this cabin fever/lack of things to do feeling will subside. For those who have lived here awhile, or even their entire lives... Why do you enjoy living in southern Maryland?? What does somd have, that other places don't? If someone was visiting from out of town, what should they see or visit here? I'm not putting somd down in any way, just trying to find a way to enjoy my time here.

You can watch your neighbor in the snow drag his kids on the back of his truck with a rope while the kids are on a inflatable thing. You can ride up Great Mills rd and watch the druggies mingle about, and if your up late at night you can follow the police cars to wawa or sheetz and watch the Saturday and Friday night fights, bring popcorn.

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
Depends on how creative you want to get....

That looks like fun! It reminds me of a contraption my Dad made when we were kids. He took one of his old skis, cut it down so it was about 2.5 ft long, nailed a piece of 2x4 to it and then stuck a another piece of wood shaped like a bicycle seat on top of that. We called it "The Ski-do". We spent hours sitting on that thing and trying to stay upright while we "skied" down our little 18 inch hill on one side of the yard. We had a blast!

Really doesn't take much to entertain kids...

I'm hoping that we just moved here during the wrong season and once spring and summer arrive, this cabin fever/lack of things to do feeling will subside. For those who have lived here awhile, or even their entire lives... Why do you enjoy living in southern Maryland?? What does somd have, that other places don't? If someone was visiting from out of town, what should they see or visit here? I'm not putting somd down in any way, just trying to find a way to enjoy my time here.

Get a boat. And ski or wake borad or just cuise the many creeks, learn how to catch the various species.#1
Leaf blower #2 It is actually quite fun and relaxing but wear ear plugs or mp3 player
Plant stuff, roses and azaleas are good. #3
Make some friends and get together. #4
Snow blower?
Bicycling?
St Marys lake is good for a hike or a little fishing.
You can rent a kayak in Leonardtown and go down to the warf they just built.
Myrtle Pt. is a good place to go for a swim, picninc, fish or hike around.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
build your own little tiki bar and keep it stocked. You will be amazed to find out how many friends you soon have hanging around..and you won't care. :whistle: