Why you like Southern Maryland/ Things to do

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
:confused: Never heard of Winter sports? The Winter Olympics, perhaps?

Skating, downhill/XC skiing, tobogganing, snowshoeing, snowmobiling. Heck, you can even run and bike ride during Winter if you layer well.

I'd rather be in an area that has a snowy Winter for the diversity of activities. Better than being somewhere that's all... brown.

As has been said, if you can't find things to do, you're not looking hard enough.

Carry on. :coffee:

Actually, I was speaking for myself about Ohio - but the OP from Ohio was talking about around HERE. You can't do some of those activities here.

The reason I don't live in Ohio is because I don't like that kind of weather and I wouldn't be participating in those wintry activities. I've been snow skiing - no good at it, don't enjoy it. I've been sledding & tobogganing - eh - ok. The closest I have been to that type of activity in the past 20 years was tubing at Massanutten, which I really did enjoy, but even that had it's limits. I liked skating as well, but again - I'm not a fan of really cold temps so there's no real joy for me out in the elements for extremely long periods of time. (days on end, for example) :shrug:

4ps

I have to say that we love it here. It's not crowded like the bigger city areas, yet you have access to both Baltimore and DC. Annapolis is a nicer place to shop and the Mall is not bad there...safer area than Waldorf Mall from experience.
The cultural activities in your own back yard are the Annmarie Gardens Gallery and outdoor events. They are getting ready to have an indoor Maker's Market with crafters etc.) the Calvert Marine Museum has programs. Both of these places have info on their websites. If you have younger kids, there are activities at the Southern Calvert Community Center through Parks and Rec. In the Spring here, soccer is big for kids. CSA is the organization. Boating is popular, fishing, fossil hunting, the Pax River base has activities. The indoor pool in PF is new (Aquatic Center), Wilson Ennis Clubhouse is new in Huntingtown for indoor sports. Golf is popular too. Sailing Clubs, Texas Holdem is popular around here too for the adults.
We lack a decent movie theater in both counties, I'm afraid. We typically hit Annapolis or Bowie for the comfy seats.
Restaurants are good here, depending on what you like. Fancy or not fancy.
Also, if you like plays, go see the Alumni Players perform at OLSS School.
The Summer camps are good here and the Parks and Rec book is new each season for those listings.
Let me know if I can help with more info...WELCOME to SMd!! I hope you like seafood..

ltown81

This place is great in the spring/summer/fall. Everything is green, there is lots to do, and keep you buys. There are plenty of out door activities, car shows, and just general things to do.

I think winter in St. Mary's is kinda depressing..everything is gray, and there is really nothing going on. You can only spend your Fridays going to Outback/CBIP/Best Buy/Kohl's/JC Penney/Target for so long before it gets old.

bulldog

In addition to things already mentioned....

- River Concert Series at St. Mary's College is a good, fun, free social event during the summer months.
- St. Mary's River State Park has a 7+ mile hiking/biking/running trail and a lot of good fishing.
- Elms beach has recently upgraded their play ground facilities (not sure of the age of your kids) and also has an okay beach to hang out on as well as picnic areas.

Restless

I am gonna get blasted for this....

To the OP, I know how you feel about finding stuff to do around here. I'm going to get tarred and feathered for saying this but...there really isn't much to do here, especially if you have teens, or if you are not willing to drive at least 30 minutes away. We have lived here over 20 years. Yes, it is very pretty, rural, and relatively safe. The people are nice too.

My observations about living here is you either love it or hate it. There are not too many people in between. If you love fishing, hunting, boating, drinking, and playing sports, then you will really like it. Our girls didn't like to play sports so we were somewhat limited on activities. Both wanted to take Irish Dance or Scottish Highland dancing classes - they hadn't even heard of either one when I called around to different dance studios. The closest place for Irish dance was in LaPlata. For Scottish Highland the nearest teacher is in Fairfax, VA. They wanted to take ice skating lessons but again, the nearest place was in Waldorf.

If you are from the suburbs or city, it is a huge culture shock. Having to drive 45 minutes to an hour to get to a nice museum, go to big concerts, professional sports games, a mall, or whatever is a pain. Unless you have access to the base, you will find there is only one movie theater (that is really run down) and one bowling alley. We have lived in Missouri, Florida, Engand, New Jersey, Virginia, and Texas besides here. This is hands-down the worst place we have lived if you are looking for things to do. I know people are going to follow-up my post with "well then why don't you leave." Oh, how I wish we could! Finding a job elsewhere is the only thing keeping us here, believe me. There are lots of people that feel like we do.

I don't mean to discourage you. I'm just being honest with our experiences here. I hope you love it! If you are church-oriented, that is probably a great place to get to know people and find activities to do locally. If your kids attend public school, they will have clubs and activities to be involved in there. We have homeschooled our kids, so we have been somewhat limited in that area. I wish you and your family well.

Ohiogirl

Maybe you can find some inspiration here, on things to do locally (or within a reasonable time/distance):

Check out this link for 100 fun things to do in Maryland: Chesapeake Life magazine, feature articles, Chesapeake Bay region

#8 on that list was Muskrat Skinning Championship. YAY?:killingme

Restless- thanks for your reply. We are also here b/c it was where my husband could find work. It scares me to think we could get stuck here (no offense to all you Marylanders) The responses to this post have given me hope. I don't feel that there is absolutely nothing to do anymore, and I can't wait until it warms up and I get to see what Maryland is like in the spring and summer.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
To the OP, I know how you feel about finding stuff to do around here. I'm going to get tarred and feathered for saying this but...there really isn't much to do here, especially if you have teens, or if you are not willing to drive at least 30 minutes away. We have lived here over 20 years. Yes, it is very pretty, rural, and relatively safe. The people are nice too.

Not going to tar and feather you, and please don't take this as me being snotty, but I never understand why people come here even remotely expecting it to have big city amenities. I mean, didn't you all check out the area at all before you moved here?

We get a ton of people on here who apparently moved to SoMD expecting to have dozens of gourmet restaurants, Broadway style shows, at least one major concert venue with top name acts, a professional sports team, a major league enclosed mall, numerous multiplex movie theaters, several bowling alleys, and Smithsonian quality museums - all right in their back yard.

This is not a big city. It's not a city at all. It's a rural/suburban area. I just don't get why people come here, then are disappointed that it's not Baltimore or DC.

:ohwell:

SoMDGirl42

I like all the liquor stores.[/QUOTE

I think MD law should change so grocery stores can sell liquor. It's a pain in my butt going to the grocery store, then having to make a second trip to a liquor store.
Most county people just skip going to the grocery store and hit the liquor store instead. Those liquid meals make dining so much more less painful, you know, without all their teeth and stuff. :killingme

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Not going to tar and feather you, and please don't take this as me being snotty, but I never understand why people come here even remotely expecting it to have big city amenities. I mean, didn't you all check out the area at all before you moved here?

We get a ton of people on here who apparently moved to SoMD expecting to have dozens of gourmet restaurants, Broadway style shows, at least one major concert venue with top name acts, a professional sports team, a major league enclosed mall, numerous multiplex movie theaters, several bowling alleys, and Smithsonian quality museums - all right in their back yard.

This is not a big city. It's not a city at all. It's a rural/suburban area. I just don't get why people come here, then are disappointed that it's not Baltimore or DC.

When I was stationed here the detailer said "It's right outside of DC, there's tons of things to do". He's lucky they moved the detailers to Millington.

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
I like all the liquor stores.

I think MD law should change so grocery stores can sell liquor. It's a pain in my butt going to the grocery store, then having to make a second trip to a liquor store.

It was that way in PA, too, where I grew up. Some of the grocery stores can sell liquor -- just need to have approval/license to do so. We have a grocery store in Chesapeake Beach that also sells beer, wine & lliquor. It does make it a little bit easier to have everything in one place when you're planning on entertaining & have to pick up a bottle of wine or some beer.

On a positive side, Spring comes to southern Maryland a lot earlier than it does to Ohio or Pennsylvania -- one of the things I really like about living down here! Give it some time, it really is a great place!

LadyCoyote

---
Jobs with large salaries draw a lot of people here, esp. in the high-tech areas. I guess it all boils down to perspective, and individual preferences.
I've lived places where one has to look really hard for the good stuff, and I've lived in some places that have been pretty sweet locations -- like paradise, nearly.
I'll keep my opinions to myself on how I think S.MD rates. I'm a "glass half full" kind of girl, but I would say it seems to take some time to make connections here. For sure. That being said, I'm glad to have the positive things that we do enjoy here. A more than adequate job, good health, etc.

SoMDGirl42

BTW, if it really bothers you and you don't mind spending more money for the convenience of shopping both in the same store, you can start shopping at McKays on Great Mills Road, they have a full liquor store inside the grocery store.

I'm just saying..................:popcorn:

Restless

I think many of us coming here hope that we can adjust to the differences. We had no choice in whether or not to come here in a sense. We had to go where the jobs were...