Why you like Southern Maryland/ Things to do

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I think many of us coming here hope that we can adjust to the differences. We had no choice in whether or not to come here in a sense. We had to go where the jobs were...

I guess I just like a smaller area. Visiting the city is fun, and I go to B'more and Annapolis frequently, NYC once a year or so. But I loathe crowds and traffic, and I can't stand being accosted by panhandlers, which goes hand in hand with the city and its entertainment goodies. Not to mention that it's insanely expensive.

So it's just what people like or are used to. I could get plunked down in Mayberry and be quite happy with Sheriff Andy and Aunt Bee. No way you'd get me to live in a major city. To each their own! :cheers:

Wrkn4livn

I'm hoping that we just moved here during the wrong season and once spring and summer arrive, this cabin fever/lack of things to do feeling will subside. For those who have lived here awhile, or even their entire lives... Why do you enjoy living in southern Maryland?? What does somd have, that other places don't? If someone was visiting from out of town, what should they see or visit here? I'm not putting somd down in any way, just trying to find a way to enjoy my time here.
If you golf, there are nice courses around here. Check out Hawthorne. Inexpensive and private. Lots of motorcycles. Great two lane highways! Great history to look at two.
Fresh air and lots and lots of trees! What else does one need?

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
#8 on that list was Muskrat Skinning Championship. YAY?:killingme

Restless- thanks for your reply. We are also here b/c it was where my husband could find work. It scares me to think we could get stuck here (no offense to all you Marylanders) The responses to this post have given me hope. I don't feel that there is absolutely nothing to do anymore, and I can't wait until it warms up and I get to see what Maryland is like in the spring and summer.

The thing I like about Maryland, is you can be at the water or the mountains in about 2-3 hours.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
BTW, if it really bothers you and you don't mind spending more money for the convenience of shopping both in the same store, you can start shopping at McKays on Great Mills Road, they have a full liquor store inside the grocery store.

I'm just saying..................:popcorn:

Ridge Market BABY!

What I think is funnny is all the whiners live in Northern SOMD and they all need to stay there.

We'll let them come down here to go to Courtney's so you can experience the REAL SOMD, but as soon as they're done eating carry your whiney ass back North of Gate 3.

Last edited:

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I guess I just like a smaller area. Visiting the city is fun, and I go to B'more and Annapolis frequently, NYC once a year or so. But I loathe crowds and traffic, and I can't stand being accosted by panhandlers, which goes hand in hand with the city and its entertainment goodies. Not to mention that it's insanely expensive.

So it's just what people like or are used to. I could get plunked down in Mayberry and be quite happy with Sheriff Andy and Aunt Bee. No way you'd get me to live in a major city. To each their own! :cheers:

Me too! I grew up in Northern VA/Alexandria, near Rt 1 (Richmond Hwy) and when I go up there to visit my mom, it still shocks me that I considered living there "normal". All the traffic, all the buildings, all the people. I like it much better here where there are wide open spaces and you can let your kids play outside without worrying. Driving to the "big city" doesn't bother us because we know we can leave the craziness/hecticness behind and go back home.

We've lived here almost 14 years and moved because my husband's job transfered him there. It was a little of a culture shock at first but we both enjoy living here a lot.

Terrid76

There is plenty to do around this area, if you take the time to look.

Sports: everything from BMX racing to soccer to square dancing to softball to fishing to geocaching to whatever you can think of, just about.

Just want to watch a sport, check out the Blue Crabs baseball

History: We have over 300 years of it! St Maries City is a great place to learn about the founding of MD while the Air Museum near Pax River shows a bit more recent history.

Science: The Calvert Museum or Cypress Swamp or Calvert Cliffs

Culture: Plays in LaPlata and Lexington Park. Both have theaters. All of the libraries have programs for everyone from toddlers to adults. In the summer, you also have music programs.

CSM has some great non-credit classes. They even have classes for kids too young for college!

Port of Leonardtown has wine tastings.

Rustic River is Leonardtown has a special night where you get a five course meal with five different wines along with a bit of knowledge about all of it.

There is plenty to do, if you look. There are plenty of volunteer opportunities as well. Enjoy southern MD and look beyond the stereotypes.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I still think Lincoln, NE is the perfect city. Followed closely by Cincinnati, OH. Both are decent sized cities, with city amenities, but have a small town feel to them. Of course, if I moved to one of them, I'd immediately miss SoMD and would long to be picking crabs at Seabreeze...

thurley42

HY;FR
I still think Lincoln, NE is the perfect city. Followed closely by Cincinnati, OH. Both are decent sized cities, with city amenities, but have a small town feel to them. Of course, if I moved to one of them, I'd immediately miss SoMD and would long to be picking crabs at Seabreeze...

:shocking:

BadGirl

I am so very blessed

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I doubt that there is anything on this planet that I hate more than bagpipes.

My list of Hated Things:
bagpipes
cats
skunk smell
being detained in a foreign jail
body odor
rancid wine
Jesus freaks
not getting my way
almond flavoring

pretty much in that exact order
You might want to stay away from the Celtic festival then, 300 pipers playing and marching might send you over the edge.

Beta84

They're out to get us
Not going to tar and feather you, and please don't take this as me being snotty, but I never understand why people come here even remotely expecting it to have big city amenities. I mean, didn't you all check out the area at all before you moved here?

We get a ton of people on here who apparently moved to SoMD expecting to have dozens of gourmet restaurants, Broadway style shows, at least one major concert venue with top name acts, a professional sports team, a major league enclosed mall, numerous multiplex movie theaters, several bowling alleys, and Smithsonian quality museums - all right in their back yard.

This is not a big city. It's not a city at all. It's a rural/suburban area. I just don't get why people come here, then are disappointed that it's not Baltimore or DC.

:ohwell:
I checked out the area but I had a limited amount of time. I didn't really know where I was so I just drove around, stopped a few places and checked things out. Of course, that was primarily on Great Mills Rd and 235, so I basically saw the two busiest streets and it looked like suburbia. I figured there was more than what I had seen but we all know that's not really the case since the rest is smaller town and spread out.

I wasn't expecting it to have any big city amenities or anything of the sort, but it did seem like there was potential to have a little bit more down here.

When I was stationed here the detailer said "It's right outside of DC, there's tons of things to do". He's lucky they moved the detailers to Millington.
That's what recruiters said to me too. So close to DC/Annapolis/NoVa plus Baltimore isn't much further. I flew through Baltimore so I knew that was a bit of a hike, but they did make it seem like there was more. I'm not saying the area sucks, it's decent as long as you can make some friends. Most of the activities are kinda crappy if you're alone, and making friends down here can be difficult when most people seem to stick to their own groups, but that's normal in smaller areas.

That's one of the reasons I like these forums...it helps you meet people when there aren't many alternatives out there. Unfortunately, I haven't seen many social gatherings via the forums in a long while. Maybe I'm overlooking them.

I think many of us coming here hope that we can adjust to the differences. We had no choice in whether or not to come here in a sense. We had to go where the jobs were...
This is true too! I came here for the job even though I was skeptical about the area. I've made it work though. Oh and your first post was pretty dead on.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I checked out the area but I had a limited amount of time. I didn't really know where I was so I just drove around, stopped a few places and checked things out. Of course, that was primarily on Great Mills Rd and 235, so I basically saw the two busiest streets and it looked like suburbia. I figured there was more than what I had seen but we all know that's not really the case since the rest is smaller town and spread out.

I wasn't expecting it to have any big city amenities or anything of the sort, but it did seem like there was potential to have a little bit more down here.

That's what recruiters said to me too. So close to DC/Annapolis/NoVa plus Baltimore isn't much further. I flew through Baltimore so I knew that was a bit of a hike, but they did make it seem like there was more. I'm not saying the area sucks, it's decent as long as you can make some friends. Most of the activities are kinda crappy if you're alone, and making friends down here can be difficult when most people seem to stick to their own groups, but that's normal in smaller areas.

That's one of the reasons I like these forums...it helps you meet people when there aren't many alternatives out there. Unfortunately, I haven't seen many social gatherings via the forums in a long while. Maybe I'm overlooking them.

This is true too! I came here for the job even though I was skeptical about the area. I've made it work though. Oh and your first post was pretty dead on.
When I moved here the Bucksnorts were a very big thing, I got invites to parties/campouts monthly. Wasn't to hard to make friends with a bunch of them. Wish they were still around.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I checked out the area but I had a limited amount of time.

The ex and I checked out the area several times because we had friends who lived here. But we were coming from Waynesboro, PA and even 25 years ago Lex Pk seemed like a metropolis compared to that. Businesses had neon signs here! And there was a 7-11! :lol:

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
They are had quite regularly, you just aren't invited. :killingme

I doubt that there is anything on this planet that I hate more than bagpipes.

My list of Hated Things:
bagpipes
cats
skunk smell
being detained in a foreign jail
body odor
rancid wine
Jesus freaks
not getting my way
almond flavoring

pretty much in that exact order

Psst... itsbob and I think your "not getting my way" needs to be bumped up the list, missy...:tap:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
They are had quite regularly, you just aren't invited. :killingme

Pssst. Beta was the one who posted that. Apparently Lance didn't quote him properly.

Beta, I have it on good authority that you are a nice guy and I'd be happy to invite you next time I have a gathering!