Yellowstone volcano increased activity. Possible eruption?

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Earth's Biggest Volcano Might Be Waking Up

speaking of volcanoes:

"(Newser) – Ready to rumble? The world's largest volcano—Hawaii's Mauna Loa—appears to be stirring back to life after a relatively quiet 30 years, geologists say. Don't fret: It isn't about to erupt at any minute, but four separate clusters of smaller earthquakes have been reported under Mauna Loa over the last 16 months, including as recently as April and May of this year, reports LiveScience. Geologists from the Hawaii Volcano Observatory note that similar events preceded the volcano's last eruption in 1984—though these latest quakes are smaller in comparison—which may indicate magma is on the move. "

http://www.newser.com/story/188613/earths-biggest-volcano-might-be-waking-up.html

Hessian

I find it a little disappointing when we see a bulletin on an eruption (say,...in Chile) and then NO follow up at all.
I suppose we could use a volcano website that posts what is active, what is fizzling, and what is potential.

If Alaska had a huge e-quake a few months back, and several peaks in S America have become active,...I would say the Ring of Fire might be entering a fascinating/dangerous era!

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I find it a little disappointing when we see a bulletin on an eruption (say,...in Chile) and then NO follow up at all.
I suppose we could use a volcano website that posts what is active, what is fizzling, and what is potential.

If Alaska had a huge e-quake a few months back, and several peaks in S America have become active,...I would say the Ring of Fire might be entering a fascinating/dangerous era!

Here ya' go: http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/activity/status.php

Hessian

speaking of volcanoes:

"(Newser) – Ready to rumble? The world's largest volcano—Hawaii's Mauna Loa—appears to be stirring back to life after a relatively quiet 30 years, geologists say. Don't fret: It isn't about to erupt at any minute, but four separate clusters of smaller earthquakes have been reported under Mauna Loa over the last 16 months, including as recently as April and May of this year, reports LiveScience. Geologists from the Hawaii Volcano Observatory note that similar events preceded the volcano's last eruption in 1984—though these latest quakes are smaller in comparison—which may indicate magma is on the move. "

http://www.newser.com/story/188613/earths-biggest-volcano-might-be-waking-up.html

I was blessed (amused) to have my Geology Prof in college as an expert on Mauna Loa---he had photos of him tramping around vent holes, getting stuck in a willey's jeep, and taking magma samples. He was the typical old codger in the worn tweed suit, and stories filled his lectures. Still felt like taking college kids on field trips into the mountains,...I really appreciate that effort in retrospect.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I was blessed (amused) to have my Geology Prof in college as an expert on Mauna Loa---he had photos of him tramping around vent holes, getting stuck in a willey's jeep, and taking magma samples. He was the typical old codger in the worn tweed suit, and stories filled his lectures. Still felt like taking college kids on field trips into the mountains,...I really appreciate that effort in retrospect.

I was watching a show once that was focused on a married couple that did volcano research. I wondered what was going through their minds when they saw themselves facing a pyroclastic flow that they couldn't outrun? Had to be an awful but quick way to die. Here they are: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katia_and_Maurice_Krafft

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Just saw this:

"Melted roads, the strongest earthquake in more than 30 years, spiking gas emissions from hot springs, animals purportedly "fleeing" the park's boundaries — all those events must be signs that the supervolcano lying dormant beneath Yellowstone National Park is poised for the first eruption in 70,000 years, right?

Wrong. As the head of the U.S. Geological Survey's (USGS) Yellowstone Volcano Observatory, Jacob B. Lowenstern, told The Billings Gazette, there's no "abnormal" activity going on beneath Yellowstone.

"The probability of a large … eruption within the next few thousand years is exceedingly low," a USGS report concludes."

http://www.weather.com/news/science/yellowstone-supervolcano-eruption-doom-united-states-20140902

Larry Gude

Strung Out
As I understand it, there is simply a drone stuck in a vent and there is no real problem???

Or, did someone already do that joke?

Hijinx

If I may ...

Well, looking at the comments, I wonder if will be the apocalypse they are saying it will be? Can one even be prepared enough for something like this?

Just like climate change, there isn't a damned thing we can do about it.
Why worry? Make your peace with your maker.

Hessian

You know...if this scenario was happening in Europe...it would have 24 hour media coverage, people would be building bunkers, storing a year of food, developing green usages for ash, planning refugee centers. They go bonkers over climate change--AND catastrophes.

Americans? "What's a yellow stone?"
"Supervolcano?...wasn't that James Bond guy in that & the chick from Terminator?"

Only news junkies and geologists are nervous about this BUT...There have been cluster quakes MORE severe in 2002, 2004, & 2008. So, magma movement is possible, but unless it is venting a lot more...and surface temps spike, its not time to start digging a hole in the back yard yet.

Check in on youtube discussion between two very informed guys with "Suspicious Observers" & "Suspicious Sky" 6/19
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A17LwfLPpbA&feature=youtu.be

About 4 quakes higher then 4.0 in the last 17 years...and it is one of the most active...allowing pressure to steadily ease over time.

Last edited:

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
so pretty much three years to the day we have 53 in three days and now she's going to blow again.... guess one of these days, cry wolf will happen and she will bow ;-))))