"You can't hold me, take care of the kids...":

AMP

Jersey attitude.
Did anyone else see this clip either in the news or CNN (http://www.cnn.com/)? I sat here at work and bawled.

Man lost his house in Katrina and that was the last thing his wife said to him - he can't find her.

My heart goes out to all of those who have lost homes and lives down there.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
:bawl: Yea, I saw that this morning on GMA or one of the ABC news breaks they do. Very sad! :frown:

That being said, I gotta wonder WTF these people were thinking who didn't evacuate. :confused: They knew it was coming, yet some insisted on riding it out. :ohwell:

Last edited:
crabcake said:
I gotta wonder WTF these people were thinking who didn't evacuate. :confused: They knew it was coming, yet some insisted on riding it out. :ohwell:
I say eff them. They were warned well in advance, they were told in no uncertain terms to get the eff out. They CHOSE to stay. Screw 'em!

AMP

Jersey attitude.
huntr1 said:
I say eff them. They were warned well in advance, they were told in no uncertain terms to get the eff out. They CHOSE to stay. Screw 'em!

Yeah, 95% of me says the same (about everyone in a flood, fault line, mudslide area, etc) but then you see something like this and you can't help feel for that one individual, and how sad it would be to lose someone that way.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
My sister is married to a very forceful, unrealistic, stubborn, and narrow-minded chauvinist who prefers to ride out hurricanes. They live in a house on stilts on Pig Pine Key, Fla. He refuses to leave, no matter the dire predictions, and he has her enough under his thumb that she's forced to ride these storms out with him. Love is often blind and stupid, and I have sort of resigned myself to the fact that at any time, I could lose her to a storm. We've stopped talking to them about it because it does no good.

Fortunately they have no kids. Unfortunately they have a dog and a few other defenseless (and loyal) pets.

truby20

Fighting like a girl
huntr1 said:

To see why people didn't evacuate all you have to do is go back to a thread from early August...Hurricane Strength

Bruzilla said:
We got hit by two of the four hurricanes that went through Florida last year, and it's no big deal. The media dorks love to show those little clips of buildings with a piece of fascia hanging down, or a broken window. What they don't show you is the 95% of the buildings that had no damage. The worst damage we had was that three of my wife's rose bushes were blown out of the ground.

I think that is what those people were expecting....with over 500,000 people in the city the odds are there will be thousands who think they can ride it out or it was being hyped up. The truth is Katrina spared New Orleans the worst of its strength and it has still caused catastropic damage. I don't know if there is any way for us to convince everyone that they should follow evacuation orders but we have to go back in and rescue these people, no question about it.

crabcake

truby20 said:
I think that is what those people were expecting....with over 500,000 people in the city the odds are there will be thousands who think they can ride it out or it was being hyped up.
Guess they know better now. :ohwell:

Even if some of it is media hype, haven't people seen enough destruction to know they aren't invincible and that anything can happen? :shrug: I say, if they're that stubborn and pig-headed to think they are bigger and badder than a Cat 5 hurricane, they should be the last ones whom rescuers get to and for whom repairmen restore electricity.

I caught Ron White on Comedy Central the other night talking about how some idiots talk about how their physical endurance allows them to withstand strong hurricane winds, and he says something like, "Yea, but can you withstand the impact of a vehicle being thrown at you by those 150 mph winds?" :lmao:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
:yeahthat: Exactly, I've been through a lot of hurricanes and tropical storms, we never evacuated either. I remember as a kid being on Tybee Island for two weeks straight with no power, completely cut off from Savannah, due to storm surge. As an adult, I was at Camp Lejune when a hurricane blew thru, my neighborhood had a block party in base housing. Also, from what I know of LA, a lot of folks probably didn't believe anything was going to happen, after all everytime they (being the media) says something horrible is coming, it's usually a lot of hoopla over nothing. Yep, there is flooding and downed trees, but it's expected in low lying areas. Heck, it floods on Bull Rd in Savannah in the spring time just by regular rain. Nothing on this level of magnitude was actually expected nor believed in. It's kind of like the boogie man, he doesn't really exist until you see him up close and personal, and by then it's too late.

Mikeinsmd

truby20 said:
To see why people didn't evacuate all you have to do is go back to a thread from early August...Hurricane Strength
The main and only point here is CAT 5. Bruzilla makes a very good point that Ppl. hear the hoopla and laugh it off because they usually make out just fine.... in CAT 2-3 hurricanes!!

What these dolts ignored was this was a CAT 5!!! Only the 4th time in recorded history that a CAT 5 has hit the continental USA. All you had to do was look at any internet or news weather site to see the size and magnitude of this thing. It seems people have lost good ole common sense!!

It's very sad about that family but they'll get no sympathy from me.

crabcake

Mikeinsmd said:
The main and only point here is CAT 5. Bruzilla makes a very good point that Ppl. hear the hoopla and laugh it off because they usually make out just fine.... in CAT 2-3 hurricanes!!

What these dolts ignored was this was a CAT 5!!! Only the 4th time in recorded history that a CAT 5 has hit the continental USA. All you had to do was look at any internet or news weather site to see the size and magnitude of this thing. It seems people have lost good ole common sense!!

It's very sad about that family but they'll get no sympathy from me.
:clap: :clap:

For poops and grins, what category was that one that came through SoMD two years ago that caused so many to be without power for several days? Hell, we had trees down all over the place up and down the road I lived on, no power for 3.5 days, parts of homes were damaged by wind and flying objects, and I'm not sure about flooding since my house was elevated and not near any water. I wanna say it was a cat 3, but I'm not sure. :ohwell:

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
crabcake said:

For poops and grins, what category was that one that came through SoMD two years ago that caused so many to be without power for several days? Hell, we had trees down all over the place up and down the road I lived on, no power for 3.5 days, parts of homes were damaged by wind and flying objects, and I'm not sure about flooding since my house was elevated and not near any water. I wanna say it was a cat 3, but I'm not sure. :ohwell:
Izzy.

truby20

Fighting like a girl
crabcake said:

That was Hurricane Isabel, she came on shore as a category 2 in North Carolina and because of her path, size, and forward motion still caused damaged well inland.

Mikeinsmd

crabcake said:
:clap: :clap: For poops and grins, what category was that one that came through SoMD two years ago that caused so many to be without power for several days? Hell, we had trees down all over the place up and down the road I lived on, no power for 3.5 days, parts of homes were damaged by wind and flying objects, and I'm not sure about flooding since my house was elevated and not near any water. I wanna say it was a cat 3, but I'm not sure. :ohwell:
Hurricane Isabel
On September 18, 2003, Hurricane Isabel impacted the northern Outer Banks of North Carolina. At the Army's Field Research Facility in Duck, 125 km north of where the eyewall cut across Hatteras Island, the Category 2 storm

crabcake

Mikeinsmd said:
Hurricane Isabel
On September 18, 2003, Hurricane Isabel impacted the northern Outer Banks of North Carolina. At the Army's Field Research Facility in Duck, 125 km north of where the eyewall cut across Hatteras Island, the Category 2 storm
Thank you! :huggy:

After seeing first-hand the dump it took on us, I don't think I'd stick around to see if I can b!tchslap a Cat 5 ... but that's just me. :shrug:

Jambalaya

SpicyHot
AMP said:
Yeah, 95% of me says the same (about everyone in a flood, fault line, mudslide area, etc) but then you see something like this and you can't help feel for that one individual, and how sad it would be to lose someone that way.

My folks live in Baton Rouge. They lost power but came out with nothing more than small branches and leaves blown through the yard. My wifes folks live just East of New Orleans where the eye went. We have no way of getting in touch with them because of the power problems down there. We don't know how they are or anything. while they have the means to evacuate, not all that live in that area do. I feel for them. They are hard working people just trying to make it and then this happens.

Mikeinsmd

crabcake said:
Thank you! :huggy: After seeing first-hand the dump it took on us, I don't think I'd stick around to see if I can b!tchslap a Cat 5 ... but that's just me. :shrug:
Truby beat me but she has an advantage! :lol:

Ed Zachary!! You have common sense!! We saw what a 2 can do.... B!tchslap a 5?? I think not!! :lmao:

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
elaine said:
I've never heard of Pig Pine Key. Where's that?
It's in the Florida Keys. That's a string of islands that extends South and East of Florida, between Florida and Panama.