You Will Love This One ! It is way too close for comfort!

3CATSAILOR

So funny fact about stop signs. The vast majority of humans do not in fact stop. Most do this judgement thing, where they analyze things like other traffic, and slow down while doing so.
The government agrees that the vast majority do not stop. If they didn't, they wouldn't be looking for another revenue source........uh, I mean safety improvement.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I agree. So, is the answer more automation in our lives or more police officers that can do their job?

Cops can't be everywhere and we can't pay for enough cops *to* be everywhere. Imagine how many cops that would be. Everyone would have to have their own personal cop, which means half the population would be a cop stalking you.

Stop at stop signs and red lights. Drive the speed limit. Learn what "merge" means and stop getting over prematurely. That's what has worked for me so far.

glhs837

Power with Control
Cops can't be everywhere and we can't pay for enough cops *to* be everywhere. Imagine how many cops that would be. Everyone would have to have their own personal cop, which means half the population would be a cop stalking you.

Stop at stop signs and red lights. Drive the speed limit. Learn what "merge" means and stop getting over prematurely. That's what has worked for me so far.
So the whole doing it solely for profit being the objection point keeps going right by you?

If the govt were to turn the profits back to citizens as a rebate, I would be fine. Assuming of course they placed adequate pathways to fight inaccurate citations. That's the other issue.

Since these are for profit ventures, they twist the law to make them civil infractions. So you lose any legal right to challenge them in court.

Machines are not infallible. Especially ones that one not calibrated and tested on a regular basis. Trust me on this. I've used and now field complex test equipment. Nothing this complex is allowed without a regular calibration/certification program.

But that stuff costs money. And quite a few places have been caught faking the test and cal logs. But legally, you as a citizen don't have standing in MD to even challenge that in court. Cuts into profit, you see.

I never object to paying a citation I received. I do object to enforcement for profit.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

But one way to fight this stop sign camera is to get the "greenies" involved.

I know the answer to this one ..... Let's invite some of those resent freedom loving English that have no problem fighting back now against their government, (yes ironic), by destroying as many of those type of camera systems, and many right after they are installed. Seems they are back to fighting tyranny once again and, by their actions, once again remind us what is supposed to be in our American DNA ..... REBELLION.

Reactions: TPD

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
So the whole doing it solely for profit being the objection point keeps going right by you?

And the whole "whether you pay into it or not is totally up to you" point keeps going right by you.

Do you know when the last time was that I had a traffic ticket?

1998. It was because I wasn't wearing my seatbelt.

Unless you count the warning I got in Wyoming a bunch of years ago for doing 6 over the limit. I thought that was weird until someone on here pointed out that they were really looking for drug traffickers and once they engaged me they realized their mistake but it was too late and I was engaged, so they had to stand there through my enthusiastic description of my travels and how pretty the landscape is. :jet:

It's not hard to stop for stop signs and red lights. I have average intelligence and manage to do it just fine. And I get it, people make mistakes. But typically it's because they're doing everything in the world *except* paying attention to their driving. And that's what reminding is for, in the form of a ticket.

You keep saying it's solely for profit, and yet the fact remains that speeding, blowing a stop sign, and going through a red light are indeed against the law and whether or not you get ticketed for it is completely in your control.

Jim Carrey Stop Breaking The Law Asshole GIF by Jerology

glhs837

Power with Control
And the whole "whether you pay into it or not is totally up to you" point keeps going right by you.

Do you know when the last time was that I had a traffic ticket?

1998. It was because I wasn't wearing my seatbelt.

Unless you count the warning I got in Wyoming a bunch of years ago for doing 6 over the limit. I thought that was weird until someone on here pointed out that they were really looking for drug traffickers and once they engaged me they realized their mistake but it was too late and I was engaged, so they had to stand there through my enthusiastic description of my travels and how pretty the landscape is. :jet:

It's not hard to stop for stop signs and red lights. I have average intelligence and manage to do it just fine. And I get it, people make mistakes. But typically it's because they're doing everything in the world *except* paying attention to their driving. And that's what reminding is for, in the form of a ticket.

You keep saying it's solely for profit, and yet the fact remains that speeding, blowing a stop sign, and going through a red light are indeed against the law and whether or not you get ticketed for it is completely in your control.

Jim Carrey Stop Breaking The Law ******* GIF by Jerology

Enforcement of the traffic laws is or should be about making us all safer. Full stop. The govt doing bad things which you don't care about because they don't affect you is why we have so much govt doing bad things. The govt has never infringed on my rights, but that doesn't stop me from knowing that is wrong.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
There are three red lights within five miles of the Beach where, if you're the lead car when the light changes to green, you need to wait a beat or two for the red light runners.
On Mt. Harmony going west at RTE 2.
On 260 going either direction at RTE 2.
On Chaneyville at the gym (old roller rink) going either direction at RTE 4.

glhs837

Power with Control
So you don't think stopping for stop signs or red lights makes people safer?

And you think enforcing the law and punishing offenders is a "bad thing"?

How do you not see yourself?
Generally. And if you have intersections where you have a high rate of non-compliance, your first step is to enact engineering measures and if those don't work go to increased enforcement. And if you put in automated enforcement the fine should be high and there should be points to be a real deterrence..

I've never said enforcing the law and punishing offenders is bad. I've said enforcing the law for profit and making punishment so low. They're not a deterrence. Those are the bad things.

glhs837

Power with Control
There are three red lights within five miles of the Beach where, if you're the lead car when the light changes to green, you need to wait a beat or two for the red light runners.
On Mt. Harmony going west at RTE 2.
On 260 going either direction at RTE 2.
On Chaneyville at the gym (old roller rink) going either direction at RTE 4.
Yep and a few hours by officers once a month out there issuing plus $200 tickets would certainly put the kibosh on that. Mailing $75 tickets that have no other punishment. Doesn't do s***

Reactions: TPD

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Yep and a few hours by officers once a month out there issuing plus $200 tickets would certainly put the kibosh on that. Mailing $75 tickets that have no other punishment. Doesn't do s***
No, it really wouldn't. Getting a $75 ticket every couple weeks might.

The Resident Deputies did a stop sign enforcement a couple years ago up the street from me at the entrance to the Exclusive and Luxurious townhouse community of San Francisco by the Bay, whose residents have considered stop signs a recommendation since the first resident moved in almost twenty years ago.

The Deputies were there for maybe an hour and pulled over 45 cars and ticketed them all. Within a week the old pattern of running every stop sign on the street had returned.

glhs837

Power with Control
No, it really wouldn't. Getting a $75 ticket every couple weeks might.

The Resident Deputies did a stop sign enforcement a couple years ago up the street from me at the entrance to the Exclusive and Luxurious townhouse community of San Francisco by the Bay, whose residents have considered stop signs a recommendation since the first resident moved in almost twenty years ago.

The Deputies were there for maybe an hour and pulled over 45 cars and ticketed them all. Within a week the old pattern of running every stop sign on the street had returned.
An hour a couple years ago?

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
An hour a couple years ago?
Yep, that many in an hour a couple years ago. They still do it randomly and it has exactly zero impact on the stop sign running on the street. The difference when they did it before was that there were three Deputies doing it, People would come out of the development, see the cruisers with lights on and three or four cars pulled over and go around them and still run the stop sign.

I just stepped out on my porch for a couple minutes and three cars ran the signs at either end of my block, two Teslas and a BMW.

glhs837

Power with Control
My point is that deterrence needs to be irregular and continuing. Like the block the box the SMCSO did four years back. If you don't keep it up, they will keep doing it.