You Will Love This One ! It is way too close for comfort!

glhs837

Power with Control
BTW, that was cold even for you. "Big deal, one fatality...."

And on that note I'm officially bored with this discussion. Feel free to try and convince others that you just can't help not running stop signs and red lights and it's totally beyond your control and enforcement is just a money making scheme.
Again, you keep adding words I never said. And I never said I run stop signs and red lights.

I've laid out my arguments with facts and logic. And you respond with made up stuff about me personally. That's why you are done here. :)

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I can explain as a dump truck driver - when people know there is a RLC, they tend to stop as soon as the light turns yellow, even though they still have 4-5 seconds to proceed thru the intersection, but they don't want to risk that ticket. As I truck driver, I am trying to anticipate what the person in front of me is gonna do - RLCs make this behavior unpredictable. I can not stop as quickly with 55,000# as the 3000# car in front of me. People have it ingrained in them to continue moving thru a yellow light, not suddenly stop. If only 1 in 10 lights have an RLC, there is no more prediction of what drivers will do, especially those not familiar with the area. I've seen this in real time in my travels.
I have a Point of No Return when approaching an intersection for if the light changes.
Sometimes the tail end of my vehicle does cross the other side as the light turns red.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I can explain as a dump truck driver - when people know there is a RLC, they tend to stop as soon as the light turns yellow, even though they still have 4-5 seconds to proceed thru the intersection, but they don't want to risk that ticket. As I truck driver, I am trying to anticipate what the person in front of me is gonna do - RLCs make this behavior unpredictable. I can not stop as quickly with 55,000# as the 3000# car in front of me. People have it ingrained in them to continue moving thru a yellow light, not suddenly stop. If only 1 in 10 lights have an RLC, there is no more prediction of what drivers will do, especially those not familiar with the area. I've seen this in real time in my travels.

I still can't get a picture of that in my mind. If the person in front of you has working brake lights, isn't that an indicator of their intent to either stop or keep going?

Here is what I'm picturing based on my own personal experience:

Approaching a just turned yellow light, the car in front of me brakes to stop. I see those brake lights and brake accordingly, which I'm going to do anyway because it's unlikely both of us will make it through the yellow. We both wait for the light. He proceeds. I proceed.

Alternately he blows the yellow light; I stop for the red which I'm already prepared for because I saw it turn yellow.

OR he blows the red light; I call him a bunch of bad names while I brake for the light. (I'm a multitasker like that - I can call someone bad names AND apply my brakes at the same time :jet: )

Most often it's: we're a line of cars waiting for the light to turn; the person in front of me is doing something other than paying attention to their driving; the light turns green and they sit there; I blow my horn at them, call them a few choice names and wave my arms around; they go, "Oh yeah..." and go through just as the light is turning red again, too late for me to make it. I say a bunch of cusswords, then remember it's like 3 extra minutes out of my very important busy day, and I chill again.

🤷‍♀️

glhs837

Power with Control
I still can't get a picture of that in my mind. If the person in front of you has working brake lights, isn't that an indicator of their intent to either stop or keep going?

Approaching a just turned yellow light, the car in front of me brakes to stop. I see those brake lights and brake accordingly, which I'm going to do anyway because it's unlikely both of us will make it through the yellow. We both wait for the light. He proceeds. I proceed.

Alternately he blows the yellow light; I stop for the red which I'm already prepared for because I saw it turn yellow.

OR he blows the red light; I call him a bunch of bad names while I brake for the light. (I'm a multitasker like that - I can call someone bad names AND apply my brakes at the same time :jet: )

Most often it's: we're a line of cars waiting for the light to turn; the person in front of me is doing something other than paying attention to their driving; the light turns green and they sit there; I blow my horn at them, call them a few choice names and wave my arms around; they go, "Oh yeah..." and go through just as the light is turning red again, too late for me to make it. I say a bunch of cusswords, then remember it's like 3 extra minutes out of my very important busy day, and I chill again.

🤷‍♀️

Ah, anecdotes as data. Never ends. What I see is real, nothing else matters. Meanwhile, in a faraway land where data is gathered and reported......

Note each case has a link to factual data. Its the first line of each one.

Los Angeles | KCAL TV
A local TV station fact-checked the city’s claims that their ticket cameras reduced accidents and found that the opposite was true. At 20 of the 32 intersections studied, accidents increased and several intersections tripled their accident rate.

Washington, D.C. | Washington Post
This report showed an overall increase in accidents at red-light camera intersections of 107 percent.

Portland, Oregon | KATU News
KATU News reviewed city statistics and found a 140 percent increase in rear-end crashes at the intersections where red light cameras were installed.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania | Philadelphia Weekly
This article showed an increase of 10 to 21 percent in accidents in intersections with red-light cameras.

Corpus Christi, Texas | TheNewspaper.com
Data released by the city showed that the total number of accidents in Corpus Christi increased 14 percent, from 310 incidents to 353, at nine locations where automated ticketing machines were stationed. Contrary to the claim that red light cameras reduce the severity of collisions, the number of accidents involving injuries increased 28 percent from 140 to 179. Rear end collisions also increased by nearly a third from 160 to 208.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

I didn't know you drove heavy trucks. How cool is that?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Driving a grain truck, I also have that point of no return. And there are times I see a red light as I'm going under it.
I've been driving heavy trucks since I was 14...grain/silage trucks (Loadstar 1600s..and beaters to boot) back on the farm, and tandem-axle dumptrucks, fully loaded with job materials and with large backhoe on heavy trailer behind after I got in the landscape construction business. Still keep my A license although I'm not sure why.

But seriously, you need to defer to Vrai on this one. Because she has an opinion. ;-)

Reactions: TPD

phreddyp

I've been driving heavy trucks since I was 14...grain/silage trucks (Loadstar 1600s..and beaters to boot) back on the farm, and tandem-axle dumptrucks, fully loaded with job materials and with large backhoe on heavy trailer behind after I got in the landscape construction business. Still keep my A license although I'm not sure why.

But seriously, you need to defer to Vrai on this one. Because she has an opinion. ;-)
Is that what that was? Sounded like a rant to moi.

glhs837

Power with Control

Sarcastic Season 4 GIF by The Office

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Ah, anecdotes as data. Never ends. What I see is real, nothing else matters. Meanwhile, in a faraway land where data is gathered and reported......

Note each case has a link to factual data. Its the first line of each one.

Los Angeles | KCAL TV
A local TV station fact-checked the city’s claims that their ticket cameras reduced accidents and found that the opposite was true. At 20 of the 32 intersections studied, accidents increased and several intersections tripled their accident rate.

Washington, D.C. | Washington Post
This report showed an overall increase in accidents at red-light camera intersections of 107 percent.

Portland, Oregon | KATU News
KATU News reviewed city statistics and found a 140 percent increase in rear-end crashes at the intersections where red light cameras were installed.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania | Philadelphia Weekly
This article showed an increase of 10 to 21 percent in accidents in intersections with red-light cameras.

Corpus Christi, Texas | TheNewspaper.com
Data released by the city showed that the total number of accidents in Corpus Christi increased 14 percent, from 310 incidents to 353, at nine locations where automated ticketing machines were stationed. Contrary to the claim that red light cameras reduce the severity of collisions, the number of accidents involving injuries increased 28 percent from 140 to 179. Rear end collisions also increased by nearly a third from 160 to 208.
She ain't gonna understand any of that. It's real data.

TPD

the poor dad
I give up. The only way I can make you see what I'm trying to explain is for you to jump in the passenger seat of a tractor trailer/dump truck.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I give up. The only way I can make you see what I'm trying to explain is for you to jump in the passenger seat of a tractor trailer/dump truck.

Cool! Where we going?

Wait...is there going to be a brake pedal on my side?

• Haha
Reactions: TPD

3CATSAILOR

For your consideration ...

I know the answer to this one ..... Let's invite some of those resent freedom loving English that have no problem fighting back now against their government, (yes ironic), by destroying as many of those type of camera systems, and many right after they are installed. Seems they are back to fighting tyranny once again and, by their actions, once again remind us what is supposed to be in our American DNA ..... REBELLION.
But, be sure to tell them to come across Biden's border. Free healthcare, 5K Gift card, free jet fare to anywhere in the US you want to go, Social Security, even though you never paid in to it, Medicare, even though you never paid in to it and free hotel stay. And perhaps other benefits.

glhs837

Power with Control
Does it make sense?

Nope. Deterrence requires one of two things. Either persistence or uncertainty. If you know that there will be a cop there every day, that's deterrence. If you know that three random days a month there will be officers, that's deterrence.

Once every three or four years? That's not deterrence, thats just insulting.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Nope. Deterrence requires one of two things. Either persistence or uncertainty. If you know that there will be a cop there every day, that's deterrence. If you know that three random days a month there will be officers, that's deterrence.

Once every three or four years? That's not deterrence, thats just insulting.
And that is what happens now, about once or twice a week plus a decoy cruiser randomly parked. Hasn't made an impact.