Your thoughts on this guy?

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Your opinions are like..........

Originally posted by SmallTown
So what if Miami is "little cuba".. I think it adds character.. I know the world would would be a better place if we were all cloned as 7th district people, but we aren't. :biggrin:

After all, we ARE a very large country.. Having everyone the same would be VERY boring..

:rolleyes: That is SO easy to say, Smalltown when you're living 1200 miles away.Have you ever been to Miami, I have. Ft. Lauderdale isn't a heck of a lot better. It's no wonder some folks on this site think of your opinions relevant to the first sylable of your name.
One of the things that are getting to me is that when you access any automated machines these days, the first thing you have to do is tell it "Espanol" or "English"; dammit! It's my country, and I have to qualify myself before I can use it??!!
I do not think a second language requirement is really all that bad an idea, but for God's sake, how about we all function primarily in the predominant language first !

:frown: penn

K

Kain99

Your right Penn! First it's ATM machines and next thing ya know you'll be watching the local news in spanish!

You cannot deny how much weight we allow minorities to swing in this country.

SeaRide

Originally posted by yakky doodle
I see what you are saying Searide; I'm not suggesting they abandon their language altogether. If they want to speak it while having dinner, in their homes, or (as they do now) while doing my nails, that's fine. What I'm saying is that it shouldn't be expected for an entire country (MAJORITY) to conform and settle for less-than-suitable service, or have my child suffer in school while the non-English speaking students await their translator or while I have to have someone repeat something 15 times and finally give up in frustration.
I agreed with you. :dude:
For me, it's no fun trying to order one simple value meal at McD full of foreign workers in NoVa. :ohwell:

yakky doodle

Originally posted by Kain99
Your right Penn! First it's ATM machines and next thing ya know you'll be watching the local news in spanish!

You cannot deny how much weight we allow minorities to swing in this country.

:yeahthat:

and :clap: to Penn's post.

I'm surprised DirecTv hasn't offered a feature to choose the language you hear/see movies, news and Bob Villa in yet :duh:

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Originally posted by SeaRide
I agreed with you. :dude:
For me, it's no fun trying to order one simple value meal at McD full of foreign workers in NoVa. :ohwell:
Reminds me of a while back when my mom had a coupon for a FREE COFFEE at McDonalds. After repeating herself numerous times over the mic telling the employee this...guess what happened. Low and behold we pull around and yep, you guessed it, 3 friggin' coffees!!! - none of which, by the way, the lady rang in as free!! :burning:

SmallTown

Football season!
Re: Your opinions are like..........

Originally posted by penncam

One of the things that are getting to me is that when you access any automated machines these days, the first thing you have to do is tell it "Espanol" or "English"; dammit! It's my country, and I have to qualify myself before I can use it??!!
I do not think a second language requirement is really all that bad an idea, but for God's sake, how about we all function primarily in the predominant language first !

:frown: penn

Oh my, now I have heard it all.. Complaining about dual language ATM's???? What was confusing, counting to two, or the word espanol?? If you don't understand the word, I recommend not selecting it!

I still love the ones who complain about the mexicans.. working in a Mexican restaurant! That gets me rolling every time.. Good thing we don't have any really nice french restaurants around here.. Reminds me of the movie major league.. " Yes, it is in French.. " "They have any chili dogs back there?" "Forget it, i'll order.."

SmallTown

Football season!
and it is funny what kind of "culture" things we find offensive.. People complain about having dual language road signs in places like Florida, and I think it is kinda funny seeing the "Share the road" signs here, not with bikes on them, but tractors. It is different than what I am used to seeing, but doesn't make it bad.

yakky doodle

fine smalltown. level the playing field then. no free money; no special government loans to start a business; no welfare; everyone works/pays their own way; no allowances because you can't speak the language (and my tax dollars aren't gonna pay to teach it, either!) let's see how many are as anxious to cross our borders :really:

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
And I'm not alone in my feelings....

:scowl: This country predominantly speaks English; not spanish, arabic or portuguese. English should be taught in our schools and REQUIRED for citizenship. Schools offer foriegn languages (i.e., French, Spanish, Italian) if you are looking for "culture."

There is nothing worse than trying to take care of some sort of business (whether is calling your bank, ordering a burger from McD's, or trying to find a bathroom in the mall) and having a language barrier b/c Julio is too lazy to learn the language of the land (but managed to fill out that green card form just fine :ohwell:)

:cheers: Exactly where I'm coming from, YakkyBuns!!
We have become SO Politically Correct, so steeped in "Multi-culturism", sensitivity- conscious, I think it's beginning to come around behind us and it's biting us in the butt!
Last night on the O'Reilly Factor, he talked about thousands of Illegal Aliens who've entered the country, have commited heinous crimes,(like the five on one rape of a woman
in NYC recently), go to jail, and local law enforcement does not INFORM the INS?!?!
Apparently, there is an executive order signed by the three or four previous, and current , Mayors of NYC, that the cops don't have to inform the INS of an Illegal Alien's crime. Why
Conventional thinking indicates that the Politicians do not want to offend the Minorities, gotta have their VOTES!!
Deport the SOBs in a nanosecond. What are we waiting for? Another 9/11? Yes, close the borders, get the National Guard out there, and secure it.

:mad: penn

Frank

Chairman of the Board
Re: Re: Your opinions are like..........

Oh my, now I have heard it all.. Complaining about dual language ATM's???? What was confusing, counting to two, or the word espanol?? If you don't understand the word, I recommend not selecting it!

I guess it's because, I don't expect nor demand such service or consideration from other nations within their own borders. I don't expect signs in Japan to be written in both English and Japanese, nor would I expect signs in Latin America - or ATM machines - to be done in English.

It just happens that in THIS country - we have persons entering who *expect* this kind of capitulation. And it's ridiculous. Most Asians I have met, arrive in this country eager to learn English, because they are now a part of this nation, and wish to succeed. Why on Earth should we kowtow to other nationalities, who make these demands, and make NO effort to be part of this nation?

I consider it insulting. If some folks come to my house as my guests, I would consider it insulting if they not only made no effort to speak to me in English, but DEMAND I speak *their* language.

Other nations would NEVER do this for us, if we pushed for it and compelled them - why do we?

yakky doodle

Re: And I'm not alone in my feelings....

Originally posted by penncam
Deport the SOBs in a nanosecond. What are we waiting for? Another 9/11? Yes, close the borders, get the National Guard out there, and secure it.

:mad: penn

Penn for President :clap: :biggrin:

Yakky for Vice! :clap:

SmallTown

Football season!
Actually, when you travel to other countries, many DO have things in English as well as their native language.. Except the French, but that is because, well, they are the french.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Your opinions are like..........

I still love the ones who complain about the mexicans.. working in a Mexican restaurant! That gets me rolling every time.. Good thing we don't have any really nice french restaurants around here.. Reminds me of the movie major league.. " Yes, it is in French.. " "They have any chili dogs back there?" "Forget it, i'll order.."
:biggrin: Oh my, you've really blown it! Who said anything about native people working in their own restaurants?? I don't see a darn thing wrong with that. Do you often experience feelings of delusional paranoia? I can suggest a suitable shrink for ya, right out of the Yellow Pages, there' scores of 'em!
My point goes to this: Requirement for aliens who enter this country legally to learn the english language. Period. You want to come here for a better life, more money, whathave you: learn the language!

:smile: penn

K

Kain99

Actually, when you travel to other countries, many DO have things in English as well as their native language.. Except the French, but that is because, well, they are the french.

This is an absolutely incorrect statement! Ever try Japan? Italy? (Rome being the only exception) Russia? Germany? Spain?????? not counting the Navy Base! Other countries do not cater to ignorant Americans who cannot speak the language.

yakky doodle

No Penn, read some of the posts regarding this.. There was a whole thread about it awhile back..

was it the fact that b/c of their ethniticity, they were rude; or was the discussion about rude service? i don't care what color you are or what language -- if you suck in providing customer service, you're an assclown.

now, I'll say this: if a mexican family comes to the united states with dreams of opening an authentic mexican restaurant, yet they don't learn the native language, how do they communicate with their majority customer base and vice versa? if they only want to cater to spanish-speaking folks, that's fine, but I imagine they'll be packing their lives back onto the Donkey for the trek across the border really quick! :bubble:

yakky doodle

Originally posted by Kain99
This is an absolutely incorrect statement! Ever try Japan? Italy? (Rome being the only exception) Russia? Germany? Spain?????? not counting the Navy Base! Other countries do not cater to ignorant Americans who cannot speak the language.

true dat; i can say with certainty that in the Azores (part of Portugal) and in Venice and the parts of Italy I visited, very little was available to assist English-speaking folks (i.e., signs in Venice alleyways.)

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
No Penn, read some of the posts regarding this.. There was a whole thread about it awhile back..
:rolleyes: Smalltown, I do not know which thread you are refering to, however it's not in this one, I just checked 'em all!
Personally, I don't give a whit about what was said before, is it relevant to this subject? If so lets see it, we'll take a look at it.
You know guys and gals, we haven't had a terrorist act here in theis country since 9/11? How much longer can we hope to continue to be this fortunate? Intel people are out there doing their jobs, very well from what I hear, but if we keep letting illegals into the country, how much do we think the odds go up for another attack?

Tater!! You Rascal, you were hoping to get some blood boiling here, weren't you?

:mad: :cheers: :mad: penn

SmallTown

Football season!
was it the fact that b/c of their ethniticity, they were rude; or was the discussion about rude service? i don't care what color you are or what language -- if you suck in providing customer service, you're an assclown.

now, I'll say this: if a mexican family comes to the united states with dreams of opening an authentic mexican restaurant, yet they don't learn the native language, how do they communicate with their majority customer base and vice versa? if they only want to cater to spanish-speaking folks, that's fine, but I imagine they'll be packing their lives back onto the Donkey for the trek across the border really quick! :bubble:

I dunno Yak.. Back home there were 3 mexican restaurants where the only English you heard from anyone was from the patrons.. They have been in business for well over 20 years each without speaking a word in their stores..

The thread wasn't all about rude service . More about their frustration that they didn't get what they wanted because the guy didn't speak english very well.. Sheesh, the person was lucky he spoke any at all!

I have a much worse time when I go to Burger King and have some stupid little kid mumbling to himself it seems..

SeaRide

I am laughing at you guys.

Here's one example I want to share with you.
I 've met couple German folks last July. The German guy can speak little bit of English, little bit of French, little bit of Italian but of course fluently in German. The German lady can speak English VERY fluently, Italian VERY fluenty, French VERY fluently, German VERY fluently, Japanese somewhat fluently, Swedish somewhat fluently and some other languages. She is some kind of international corporate lawyer something. She says she lives "internationally" or globally. She says some people do not excel at being multi-lingual and some do. I said, how do you get to learn those languages fluently in short time? She said its easy to travel around Europe to learn different languages and cultures.
Do you realize the size of the nations in Europe? Anybody in Europe can travel around by cars, trains, and bus. I think the geography factor has something to do with the languages spoken in Europe. A person can live in one nation in Europe and never bother to travel abroad to learn another language.

There are international banks out there in Europe so they can speak your language. Nothing wrong with that.

Now, look at the size of 48-states USA.. There are some people who lives in local area without traveling out much having hard time understading what non-local american people are saying with strange accents ( i.e. from NYC, from the South, from Los Angeles , etc) Some folks at Smith Island, Tangier Island and at Chincoteague Island, VA speak very old English with accents.