Youth football is great

Walt_Kowalski

Youth football like it use to be ....yeah it was good but todays youth football .....it's a joke.Why?Becuase of the parents and the coachs...and good lorf the high school coachs arounf here are idiots!From the youngest player to high schoolers they are miss guided and miss coached....by the parents and the coaches. Kids are wearing reciver gloves.....no one is taught fundamentals any more...9-10 year olds feel left out or are told they can't play if they haven't been on a contact team yet.....9 and 10 ?????I've seen plenty of youth coaches in Charles county from the Bears to the Bull Dogs and not one has a good coach maybe a parent but not a good coach, youth football unless it's Pop Warner ....at least in So. Maryland is a joke.:coffee:

YEH THET BRING BACK THE COCHES THET WERE HERE JUST A TWO YEARS AGO WHEN ST MARYS HAD POP WARNER IF YOU WANT TO SAVE FOOTBALL THEN GET RID OF ALL IDIOT PARENTS AND COCHES AND HIGH SCHOOL COACHES WITHOUT SOME BIG CHANGS FAST ARE THREE HIGH SCHOOLS WILL STATY AT THE BOTOM OF SMAC AND NEVER GET A SHOT AT STATE LEVEL PAYOFS.

Walt_Kowalski

Have to ask: What does "wearing reciver gloves" have to do with being "taught fundamentals"? Since when is using bare hands a fundamental? You use the advancements in technology that are available: gloves for cold, slippery hands, rib guards for protection, visors to prevent facemasks and poking in the eyes, etc....

You can't paint a board brush of no good coaches....there are a quite a few!

SINCE YOU DONT KNOW IT JUST PROVES HIS POINT EXSACTLY IDIOT PARENTS

Giantone

Have to ask: What does "wearing reciver gloves" have to do with being "taught fundamentals"? Since when is using bare hands a fundamental? You use the advancements in technology that are available: gloves for cold, slippery hands, rib guards for protection, visors to prevent facemasks and poking in the eyes, etc....

You can't paint a board brush of no good coaches....there are a quite a few!
So in your eyes the kids might not know a thing but they will look pretty damn good,is that it?yes believe it or not a child learning the feel of the ball and developing "soft hands" is a fundimental.I will paint with what I see and I see some well meaning parents but there are doing more harm then good,just read this thread and my point is proven.
I had a child at Westlake afew years back (a girl) but while watching her practice I also was keeping an eye on the Westlake football team and coach Zack...the team had a punter but he wasn't very good and I was shocked to find out there was no specials team coaching avaiable to him and they had no fieldgoal kicker after asking around and even offering to help for free...."CoachZack" didn't want any help and said and I quote "doesn't need kickers".He has had some succsess but the team is always undiscipline and has terrible fundimentals.......they all try to play like Dion or the Redskins.Yes I know how to kick did it from "POP Warner" to College and that earned me a tryout with the Steelers in the 70's...but then again I was coached to enjoy and have fun ....not life or death at age 10.

Giantone

I guess that's why the Mechanicsville Braves won a state championship in their division last year?.

So what,so you're telling me that all the divisons in the state are equal all have the same coaching requirments and everything .....no problem with "players from outside the area playing "...al it means is that one team had a kid who was physically more mature then another ......not a better football player.....thats all it can mean at the 85lb level

Giantone

I know, reading those posts I'm like "Oh the humanity!" because its like watching the Hindenburg crash.

Yeah, kind feel the same way after watching "peewee football" and seeing a 10 year old get yelled at in front of the world and made to feel like crap becuase he "missed a block".

Zguy28

So in your eyes the kids might not know a thing but they will look pretty damn good,is that it?yes believe it or not a child learning the feel of the ball and developing "soft hands" is a fundimental.I will paint with what I see and I see some well meaning parents but there are doing more harm then good,just read this thread and my point is proven.
That's just plain not true. Catching the ball is the same with gloves as without. When the pass is high (stomach area and above) the hands are open, thumbs together, and forming a diamond. When it's low the hands are open with pinky fingers touching and thumbs out.

This video shows exactly how I taught my kids to catch. I've witnessed coach Lisanti from Chopticon teach this too.

Catch A Football | LIVESTRONG.COM

If that's not fundamental, I don't know what is. Gloves or no gloves has nothing to do with it. Saying otherwise is just like the folks who refuse to use email or TV remotes because they are scared of technology.

I had a child at Westlake afew years back (a girl) but while watching her practice I also was keeping an eye on the Westlake football team and coach Zack...the team had a punter but he wasn't very good and I was shocked to find out there was no specials team coaching avaiable to him and they had no fieldgoal kicker after asking around and even offering to help for free...."CoachZack" didn't want any help and said and I quote "doesn't need kickers".He has had some succsess but the team is always undiscipline and has terrible fundimentals.......they all try to play like Dion or the Redskins.Yes I know how to kick did it from "POP Warner" to College and that earned me a tryout with the Steelers in the 70's...but then again I was coached to enjoy and have fun ....not life or death at age 10.
That's his prerogative. It's his team. You may disagree, which is fine, but obviously somebody likes him being the coach there. You've also got to remember that there is abig difference between youth, HS, college, and the NFL. They are not the same in ability or rules and to compare them is foolish. Just look at Florida's offense versus an NFL offense. Florida's is more like a youth Single Wing/Spread offense. Each level has schemes that are designed to maximize the environment and talent pool to win. With youth it should be more about having fun than winning. You'll get no argument from me there. Aggressive motivation can be done in a positive manner, although a lot of times it is not.

While I did enjoy the 85lb game I saw last weekend, there were some parents (and the chain crew!) who are definitely over the line and need to cool it. If I was the ref, I would have tossed the down marker guy from the field. So you have a point there.

yeti

Is this Ray Finkle?? Soccer style kicker, graduated from Collier High June 1976, Stetson University honors graduate class of 1980, holds 2 NCAA Division One records, one for most points in a season, one for distance, former nickname "The Mule", the first and only pro-athlete to come out of Collier County, and one hell of a model American.

Last edited:

Zguy28

Is this Ray Finkle?? Soccer style kicker, graduated from Collier High June 1976, Stetson University honors graduate class of 1980, holds 2 NCAA Division One records, one for most points in a season, one for distance, former nickname "The Mule", the first and only pro-athlete to come out of Collier County, and one hell of a model American.
What the... That's it! Einhorn is Finkle! Finkle is Einhorn! Einhorn is a man!

Oh, my GOD! Einhorn is a man! "You're gun is digging into my hip!"

:barf:

hollywood33

reading is fundamental!

A 10 year old "DOES NOT DESERVE TO BE HUMILIATED IN FRONT OF HIS FAMILY AND FREINDS FOR A MISSED BLOCK"!!!!!!!:bonk:

Dude, please spell check every one of your posts and then talk to me about "reading is fundamental".

WRITING IS FUNDAMENTAL!!! Appreciate that I spelled fundamental for you...remember this:

...."CoachZack" didn't want any help and said and I quote "doesn't need kickers".He has had some succsess but the team is always undiscipline and has terrible fundimentals.......

Giantone

Dude, please spell check every one of your posts and then talk to me about "reading is fundamental".

WRITING IS FUNDAMENTAL!!! Appreciate that I spelled fundamental for you...remember this:

...."CoachZack" didn't want any help and said and I quote "doesn't need kickers".He has had some succsess but the team is always undiscipline and has terrible fundimentals.......

Ok ,so when you lose an agrument you change subjects....Dude.It's quite obvious that from your postings you're just to young or are plain ignorant to understand children should not be abused or humiliated in any setting ,no child should play contact football before 11 years od age ...the bodies aren't ready for it.
Again you show your ignorance in the "coach Zak" posting ....why not teach one of your 60 kids on the team to kick ..it might open something up for a player ...or even the team....but I see that goes way over your head.

ETB

The coach's don't yell at the players and they do teach them to kick... but that's called soccer. this is a football thread!

goinggoing_gone

Says Who?

...no child should play contact football before 11 years od age ...the bodies aren't ready for it...

Are you a doctor? Expert coach? Children's psychologist? Or just an all around know-it-all?

I agree that some kids aren't ready for football until they're 11...or 13...or older...or perhaps never. But how did you come up with this magic age 11?

My boys' doctor agreed they were fine to play tackle at age 6. If you disagree, I'd like to know on what medical facts?

I think it's more likely that it takes some very, very special coaches to figure out ways to make football make sense to the younger boys AND determine the position(s) these younger boys can play where they will actually make a positive impact for their team and feel proud of their play.

Many coaches for this age group have experience coaching older kids and don't know how to simplify the game plan and still have a successful team.

I hope most won't listen to the arbitrary age 11, because if you put your 11 year old in tackle (which would be either the 85lb or 95lb division depending on weight) he will mostly likely quit after the first year...because he will be a first year player taking hits from boys that have been hitting for as many as 6 or 7 years...and that hurts! It's not just learning to hit, it's also learning to take a hit. I'd rather start out with a 65lb six year old than a 110lb twelve year old myself.