Youth football is great

Giantone

Are you a doctor? Expert coach? Children's psychologist? Or just an all around know-it-all?

I hope most won't listen to the arbitrary age 11, because if you put your 11 year old in tackle (which would be either the 85lb or 95lb division depending on weight) he will mostly likely quit after the first year...because he will be a first year player taking hits from boys that have been hitting for as many as 6 or 7 years...and that hurts! It's not just learning to hit, it's also learning to take a hit. I'd rather start out with a 65lb six year old than a 110lb twelve year old myself.

I'm sure you would rather have a 65 pounder hit you.So how do you know the children would quit,what facts do you base this on ?I for one believe your Doctor is an idiot....what do I base my info on talking to many Doctors not just a family practitioner.....playing (and coaching) football to an extremely high level.
So your saying at the age of 11 is to old and that other kids have been playing full contact for 5 or 7 years....so they start at 4years of age???
Parents find a real doctor ...one that will tell you that a childs skull is not fully formed and head trauma is 10% more possible at an early age same with a childs bone development.

goinggoing_gone

So your saying at the age of 11 is to old and that other kids have been playing full contact for 5 or 7 years....so they start at 4years of age???

I referenced a 12 year old...and Pigskin started at 5 years of age...I went with 12-5 and got 7.

Parents find a real doctor ...one that will tell you that a childs skull is not fully formed and head trauma is 10% more possible at an early age same with a childs bone development.

I agree...if you take an 11 year old and a 6 year old and drop them both on their head onto a sidewalk, the 6 year old's skull is more likely to be damaged.

BUT, if you take these same kids...and put them in the same type of football helmets...and then have a first year, 6 year old player tackle the 6 year old and a fifth year, 11 year old player tackle the 11 year old...the 11 year old is in more danger of suffering a head injury.

The injuries don't occur at the Pee Wee level because the speed of the game is dramatically slower.

And as far as how do I know the first year 11 year old will most likely quit...I have absolutely no stats on that...just basing it on having seen a lot of kids @ the 95lb and JV weight groups quit when this was their intended first year of tackle football.

Giantone

I referenced a 12 year old...and Pigskin started at 5 years of age...I went with 12-5 and got 7.

I agree...if you take an 11 year old and a 6 year old and drop them both on their head onto a sidewalk, the 6 year old's skull is more likely to be damaged.

BUT, if you take these same kids...and put them in the same type of football helmets...and then have a first year, 6 year old player tackle the 6 year old and a fifth year, 11 year old player tackle the 11 year old...the 11 year old is in more danger of suffering a head injury.

The injuries don't occur at the Pee Wee level because the speed of the game is dramatically slower.

And as far as how do I know the first year 11 year old will most likely quit...I have absolutely no stats on that...just basing it on having seen a lot of kids @ the 95lb and JV weight groups quit when this was their intended first year of tackle football.

At no point do you ever mention a 12 year old. I see you never let facts stand in the way of a good story,I'm telling parents to talk to different Doctors ....you are telling them to throw their kids in front of a bus.

Last edited:

Zguy28

Has anyone heard anything about the Raiders kid who was seriously injured against the 85lb Braves White 2 weeks ago? Is he ok?

My son played for Pigskin for 3 years, and if I had to come up with one word to describe it, it would be "clusterf**k".

He then played with the Calvert league last year, one word "organized".

Now he is playing in the SMCRPYFL, and the one word I would use to describe it is "waybetterthanpigskinnotperfectbutontherightroad"

I think youth football now has a real chance to succeed in our county. Which will just help our high school teams improve.

Giantone

It wasn't his coach from last year who I know personally. He doesn't coach like that. Some kids are just mean or stupid.

....someone did,a kid just doesn't do something like that on his own............it not a coach then a parent.

Zguy28

....someone did,a kid just doesn't do something like that on his own............it not a coach then a parent.
Spoken like someone who either doesn't have kids or hasn't had a young'n in a long time.

I obviously disagree with an absolute statement like that. Sometimes that is true, other times it is not.

Some kids I've coached have been a real problem to reign in their behavior (I even traded one last year), and the parents were at their wits end with discipline. Others, it was because of lack of parental discipline or too harsh of discipline.

Again, some kids are just mean or just don't think and make a bonehead block, or are frustrated or angry at losing and lash out. It happens.

Walt_Kowalski

Wrong on all counts.

SO WHET IS YOUR POINT HERE IF YOU DONT LIKE KIDS PLEYING FOOTBALL THAN DONT LET THEM PLAY A PARENT IS MORE THEN CAPIBLE OF MONIOTORING HOW THERE KIDS COACHES INTERACT WITH THEM IF A PARENT FEELD THERE CHILD IS BEING INTIMIDTED THEY CAN ADRESS IT IF A PARENT FEELS IT UNSAFE THEY CAN SIMPLY REMOVE THEM FROM THE TEAM AN FIND A NEW SPORT ALL LEAGUES AND COACHES ARE VOLUNTERES THET DO THE BEST THEY CAN YOU SEEM HAVE SOME ADJENA EVER SINCE YOU FOUND OUT THET NO ONE WENTS A HAS BEEN TO COACH SPECAL TEAMS

goinggoing_gone

At no point do you ever mention a 12 year old. I see you never let facts stand in the way of a good story,I'm telling parents to talk to different Doctors ....you are telling them to throw their kids in front of a bus.

No nit-wit, I referenced the 85lb and 95lb division. 95lb division goes as high as 12 year olds. Can you get off point any more? The point was there's experienced kids up in those weight classes and those experienced kids will damage a first year player significantly more often than a first year pee wee kid.

You didn't tell parents to talk to different doctors. You told us all that no child should play tackle football until they're at least 11. And that my doctor is an idiot.

I'm quite certain I didn't say to throw them in front of a bus...but if you want to go with that analogy...do you consider the 6 year old the bus? I think I'd call the 6 year old a tricycle and the 11 year old the bus.

goinggoing_gone

SO WHET IS YOUR POINT HERE IF YOU DONT LIKE KIDS PLEYING FOOTBALL THAN DONT LET THEM PLAY A PARENT IS MORE THEN CAPIBLE OF MONIOTORING HOW THERE KIDS COACHES INTERACT WITH THEM IF A PARENT FEELD THERE CHILD IS BEING INTIMIDTED THEY CAN ADRESS IT IF A PARENT FEELS IT UNSAFE THEY CAN SIMPLY REMOVE THEM FROM THE TEAM AN FIND A NEW SPORT ALL LEAGUES AND COACHES ARE VOLUNTERES THET DO THE BEST THEY CAN YOU SEEM HAVE SOME ADJENA EVER SINCE YOU FOUND OUT THET NO ONE WENTS A HAS BEEN TO COACH SPECAL TEAMS

This was actually a good post if you could read it. I've translated...

So what is your point here? If you don't like kids playing football, don't let YOUR kids play! A parent is more than capable of monitoring how their kids' coaches interact with their children. If a parent feels their child is being intimidated, they can address it. If a parent feels it is unsafe, they can simply remove them from the team/league and find a new sport.

All leagues and coaches are volunteers and most of them do the best they can. You seem to have some agenda here--perhaps ever since you found out that no one wants a has-been Special Teams coach?!?