How stupid!!!

mommyoftwo

would u put your child on a motercycle without a helmet......um no so this is wrong tooand stupid. th eparents should be charged with child endangerment...look what happen to superman.!

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
would u put your child on a motercycle without a helmet......um no so this is wrong tooand stupid. th eparents should be charged with child endangerment...look what happen to superman.!

Oh...and I thought I could stay out of this discussion!

The above argument isn't really a valid one ... there are helmet laws in this state which would make putting your child on a motorcycle illegal...however it is not illegal to ride a horse without a helmet. And they already covered the superman ordeal...BTW, superman was wearing a helmet.:popcorn:

appaholic

I thought I could stay out of this too but.... I make my kids wear a helmet to ride horse/ bike but as a child I never did, and I don't feel my parents were bad or neglectful. And as an older mom I realize I have become more protective concerning all sorts of issues, but there is No Way to protect your child from every possible danger without making them fearful. JMO but much better to give your children confidence and skills to make judgements (works with horses too). And then to realize that our mistakes sometimes teach us the most.

mommyoftwo

i was making a point. its still dangerous either way. superman had a helmet on and he got hurt!since the whole motorcycle thing is not valid would yo uput your child on a bike or skates with out a helmet and let them ride around??

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
i was making a point. its still dangerous either way. superman had a helmet on and he got hurt!since the whole motorcycle thing is not valid would yo uput your child on a bike or skates with out a helmet and let them ride around??

I was only responding to your post to point out that of all the arguments you could make on this subject, the argument you choose really wasn't relevant to this situation. As for a personal preference...I agree with Appaholic:yay:

Spicober

I totally grew up on a Tobacco farm where as kids we used spears and knives and all that before I was even 5 years old, we also rode our horses (as kids) as fast as possible in the middle of the woods for hours with no adults around WITH OUT our helmets. As well as our 4-wheelers and dirt bikes.

That was 30 years ago and I would never let my kids do that now! Yep I survived, by the grace of god. However, dont we know a little better now?
I also was born when they put babies in the backs of cars in those little "bed things". I wouldnt imagine putting my kids in one of those because I know better now, just like I would never let my kids ride their horse without a helmet. They are not sissies, they are doing ALL of the same things as I did. THey have helped with Tobacco, rode 4-wheelers, and of course rode their horses but they do those things with all the safety knowledge that I have now.
Although Helmets cant prevent everything, most of you remember my daughter getting kicked in the face last year, nope she didnt have a helment on and nope she wasnt on the horse. But we cant wear face masks and full gear wherever we go but we learned a valuable lesson when that happened. Horses are animals, they have minds of their own, and even the most "kid friendly horse" will surprise you sometimes.
JMO:buddies:

Four*Leaf*Farm

RIP Quinn
I totally grew up on a Tobacco farm where as kids we used spears and knives and all that before I was even 5 years old, we also rode our horses (as kids) as fast as possible in the middle of the woods for hours with no adults around WITH OUT our helmets. As well as our 4-wheelers and dirt bikes.

That was 30 years ago and I would never let my kids do that now! Yep I survived, by the grace of god. However, dont we know a little better now?
I also was born when they put babies in the backs of cars in those little "bed things". I wouldnt imagine putting my kids in one of those because I know better now, just like I would never let my kids ride their horse without a helmet. They are not sissies, they are doing ALL of the same things as I did. THey have helped with Tobacco, rode 4-wheelers, and of course rode their horses but they do those things with all the safety knowledge that I have now.
Although Helmets cant prevent everything, most of you remember my daughter getting kicked in the face last year, nope she didnt have a helment on and nope she wasnt on the horse. But we cant wear face masks and full gear wherever we go but we learned a valuable lesson when that happened. Horses are animals, they have minds of their own, and even the most "kid friendly horse" will surprise you sometimes.
JMO:buddies:

We used to do the same thing.. ride for hours down Cumberstone road.. (all farm fields and few houses ) without helmets, and only halters and leadshanks.. And lets not talk about the old rickety farm equipment for cutting, bailing, etc. rusty old unsafe sh!t we use to work around..
One winter we'd fly on the snowmobile (when we used to get snow) flip it, and live to tell about it. And ice scating on the pond (when ponds used to freeze) with no protection.
My brother had a little 80.. we would fly on that thing.. no helmet..
Like you said, we know better now....And I would never let my children on a horse without a hat.

Beelzebaby666

Has confinement issues..
I would say, ask someone who has taken a bad fall from a horse..

Mr. Reeves? Oh wait, we can't ask him.

Ohwell:

How about Remax? She was lucky.:yay:

Kids should wear helmets on horses and ATV's. Parents are grown enough to be stupid if they want to.:yay:

crpc

flame suit on.

So we will regulate that children must wear a helmet while on a bike in the state of MD?(and MANY other states as well) AND not while on a large beast with it's own brain? We all know that there are horse eatting monsters out there that many of the best horses still see and spook at.

Bike helmets aren't rated for equestrian use because the height of a horse is greater than a bike and also because the horse can travel faster than the average biker can travel atso obviously if we feel that a bike which is lower to the ground and travels slower than the horse. Then why don't we feel that KIDS need helmets on a horse?

note:this law is for 16 and under. The arguement of "it is my choice for me and my kids"--lacks intelligence.:duh: