11 yr old hurt boarding school bus : Bus driver just drove off

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
itsbob said:
BAD BAD BAD KARMA!!

VRAI, who should I report this to!??

11 yr old hurt boarding... 01-26-2007 12:49 AM I'll give BadGirl a free Premo if she'll smother you in your sleep tonight

:lmao:
:lol:

Hey, I signed it!

AndyMarquisLIVE

Penn said:
Andy, with all due respect:

Might this incident not have happened if the girl's mom was there to see her off at the bus stop?

OK, I was 12 and walked to the bus stop

Hell, when I was 12 I had to walk a mile and a half to school each day :shrug:

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
AndyMarquisLIVE said:
OK, I was 12 and walked to the bus stop

Hell, when I was 12 I had to walk a mile and a half to school each day :shrug:

So, you're saying that if your parents knew you had an ailing leg or hip, maybe injured from a football game or other, they'd still send you out to walk a mile and a half to school?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Penn said:
So, you're saying that if your parents knew you had an ailing leg or hip, maybe injured from a football game or other, they'd still send you out to walk a mile and a half to school?
I'd have had to have been pretty damn hurt. It was just me and Mom and she had to work.

There are some kids whose Mommies tote and fetch and do everything for them. Then there are kids who are taught to suck it up and take care of their business. Guess which one grows up to be the more resilient adult?

But that doesn't seem like the case here. This kid's Mom is obviously a lazy whiner, and the kid is a whinebag, too. But the bus driver was still wrong to just drive off and leave a kid with a dislocated hip laying at the bus stop. It may not have been his *legal* responsibility, but it was still his moral and ethical responsibility.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
AND even if you help the kid and their parent sues you, it doesn't matter. You can have a clear conscience knowing you still did the right thing. Just because someone else is an ###hole doesn't mean you have to be.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
I said this much back in post #74......

".......heck, couldn't the bus driver taken the time to ask the girl her name, and "can I get you some help?", then called the dispatcher, or the school nurse - anyone - to notify the parent?"

For some reason, the driver didn't feel the need, or want to leave the drivers seat and physically go help her.

What the story does not tell us - has this happened in the past to this driver?

Did the driver get called out for leaving his/her seat to attend to somebody?

PsyOps

Pixelated
vraiblonde said:
AND even if you help the kid and their parent sues you, it doesn't matter. You can have a clear conscience knowing you still did the right thing. Just because someone else is an ###hole doesn't mean you have to be.
So those of us that believe the parent is responsible are ###holes? I hope I'm not reading that wrong.

Fact of the matter is, it does matter... While you're being sued, you lose your job, so you are not getting paid, you have to hire a lawyer (have you even had to hire a lawyer vrai? It's not cheap), then go through the humiliation of the court system (ever been there vrai?). Then if you lose, lord knows how much they will take from you. All because the parent couldn't get their child to the bus stop. And you think that will clear your conscience?

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
Penn said:
".......heck, couldn't the bus driver taken the time to ask the girl her name, and "can I get you some help?", then called the dispatcher, or the school nurse - anyone - to notify the parent?"

For some reason, the driver didn't feel the need, or want to leave the drivers seat and physically go help her.

What the story does not tell us - has this happened in the past to this driver?

Did the driver get called out for leaving his/her seat to attend to somebody?

I am sorry that you've all been pulled deeper into this charade by Andy and his "I've work for many schools" issues. We don't know that the Nashville school buses have radios like Andy claims the Chuck County buses do. (Given that he's the source of this data and based on his habitual posting inaccuracies, we should take this with a block of salt)

The bus driver might have told the school that the girl didn't get on the bus, we'll never know. That's because some neighbor gave the girl a ride home.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
PsyOps said:
Fact of the matter is, it does matter... While you're being sued, you lose your job, so you are not getting paid, you have to hire a lawyer (have you even had to hire a lawyer vrai? It's not cheap), then go through the humiliation of the court system (ever been there vrai?). Then if you lose, lord knows how much they will take from you. All because the parent couldn't get their child to the bus stop. And you think that will clear your conscience?
Could you be *just* a little more cynical? I mean, if you really really tried?

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Alright all of ya's!!

Has this story and it's thread digressed into the :shortbus: thread? :lmao:

We all have a pretty good idea what WE would have done - if each one of us who has posted here - were in that situation.

Fact is we weren't. I personally would not have left that 11 year old girl there, clinging to a mailbox pole(whatever)in tears, in pain, to fend for herself.

But again, we were not there.

Most of the time, we mean the best for each other, we go out of our way to help out, But sometimes, due to unknowable circumstances, it just doesn't work out that way. Sometimes we got blinders on.

Maybe what we should take from all of this is the memory of it, and try to apply what we have learned to a similar situation, should it happen to us.

PsyOps

Pixelated
vraiblonde said:
Could you be *just* a little more cynical? I mean, if you really really tried?
The only thing I am "cynical" about is my lack of trust for the kooks that exist out there; the kooks that want to harm our children. I am also cynical about the parents that don't seem to take this very seriously... not until something goes wrong with their kid.

I actually like to think that i am being painfully realistic. Most folks don't want to hear this sort of truth. They want to believe they are doing the right thing and especially don't want to believe that, as a result, this sort of thing would happen to them or their own kids.

Bottom line, most of us are in denial that this is an increasingly dangerous world for our kids.

AndyMarquisLIVE

Penn said:
I'd have to be in excruciating pain for that.

My parents are usually gone by 6:30am because they have to be at work before the butcrack of dawn.

So, they could take my injured ass to school and be out of the job for months or they could go to work? That's life in America.

Typical conservatives. Would rather blame the parents than hold any employee of a larger company at fault.

AndyMarquisLIVE

vraiblonde said:
I'd have had to have been pretty damn hurt. It was just me and Mom and she had to work.

There are some kids whose Mommies tote and fetch and do everything for them. Then there are kids who are taught to suck it up and take care of their business. Guess which one grows up to be the more resilient adult?

But that doesn't seem like the case here. This kid's Mom is obviously a lazy whiner, and the kid is a whinebag, too. But the bus driver was still wrong to just drive off and leave a kid with a dislocated hip laying at the bus stop. It may not have been his *legal* responsibility, but it was still his moral and ethical responsibility.
Vrai, wrong country to talk about moral and ethical responsibility. :lmao:

I'll be up front: I've seen high school football players beat up on defenseless kids and face NO punishment because they're more popular. This is what kids are being brought up into. Unfortanently, this is the society we live in now.

You've got these celebirties like Britney Spears and Paris Hilton that break the law and face no legal punishment for because of their celebirty status.

PsyOps

Pixelated
vraiblonde said:

This isn't about teaching your kids to be "retards" (as you earlier put it) or teaching them to "take care of their business". This is about parents being responsible for thier own kids. And no one is saying the mother is a lazy whiner. What I'm saying is it's not the bus driver's responsibility to get that kid on the bus.

And you said it was the bus driver's "moral and ethical responsibility"? What about the moral and ethical responsibility of the parents? And another question... What should the bus driver have done?

AndyMarquisLIVE

PsyOps said:
This isn't about teaching your kids to be "retards" (as you earlier put it) or teaching them to "take care of their business". This is about parents being responsible for thier own kids. And no one is saying the mother is a lazy whiner. What I'm saying is it's not the bus driver's responsibility to get that kid on the bus.

And you said it was the bus driver's "moral and ethical responsibility"? What about the moral and ethical responsibility of the parents? And another question... What should the bus driver have done?
We've already discussed what the bus driver should do... It's clear though. You would let a kid who is in obvious pain sit there and fend for themselves.

PsyOps

Pixelated
AndyMarquisLIVE said:
We've already discussed what the bus driver should do... It's clear though. You would let a kid who is in obvious pain sit there and fend for themselves.
You aren't paying attention. If you read back to a previous post I wrote I said that if I saw a child hurt in the mall or at the bus stop I would do what I could help them, then my next question would be "where is your mom or dad?"

If the parent was there you wouldn't have to worry about whether I left the kid there, in pain, to fend for herself.

AndyMarquisLIVE

PsyOps said:
You aren't paying attention. If you read back to a previous post I wrote I said that if I saw a child hurt in the mall or at the bus stop I would do what I could help them, then my next question would be "where is your mom or dad?"

If the parent was there you wouldn't have to worry about whether I left the kid there, in pain, to fend for herself.
Some parents don't have that option. Sorry, mate. That argument just doesn't hold water with me.

PsyOps

Pixelated
AndyMarquisLIVE said:
Some parents don't have that option. Sorry, mate. That argument just doesn't hold water with me.
They don't have the option to watch their own kids; to ensure their safety? You're kidding right?

nomoney

AndyMarquisLIVE said:

There's always an option, it's whether you are willing to make the sacrifices to give you that option or not.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
PsyOps said:
They don't have the option to watch their own kids; to ensure their safety?
Yes, dear - welcome to America and please enjoy your stay.

Because parents have to work and actually support their families, their children have to do such life-threatening things as getting themselves on the bus in the morning.

People ##### about welfare, then they ##### about parents who can't supervise their children 24/7 because they are gainfully employed. So what...? Do you think that nobody should ever have children unless they are independently wealthy and will never have to leave their children unattended for even a second?

I do not think it's unreasonable for an 11 year old to get themselves on the bus without Mommy holding their hand. The very thought of that is ridiculous and a reminder of just how much of a bubble-society we've become.