15 Year Old Shot at Solomons Landing

Dye Tied

Garden Variety Gnome
I haven't had much sleep and it felt good to make up words. Don't make me fire a warning shot :whistle:

The kids in our neighborhood are little terrorists and I can totally relate to this gentleman's frustration. Feel for him that he went off the edge a little, but something needs to be done about these kids.

I know people that are friendly to neighbor kids, say hello, enlist their help and try to treat kids like young adults. The chances of those neighbors being terrorized are reduced compared to the folks that just yell, cuss at the kids and threaten.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
he had already peppersprayed the kid for 'profanity', it certainly doens't seem that shooting was an appropriate response. Besides, as a gun owner, i am all for holding people responsible for their actions WITH GUNS. As pete indicated, this old guy just paved the way for some state senator to go after shotguns and other hunting weapons.
I say the kids should be held accountable for their crimes, and the old man should be held accountable for his.

Are we now supposed to be afraid to use a gun to protect ourselves and our property because that gives incentive to the gun grabbers? If that's the case, why have the gun in the first place? Just give it over now because you're not going to use it anyway.

thatguy

Are we now supposed to be afraid to use a gun to protect ourselves and our property because that gives incentive to the gun grabbers? If that's the case, why have the gun in the first place? Just give it over now because you're not going to use it anyway.

if that is what he was doing i would be 100% behind him, he wasn't, he shot at a kid who was fleeing his property. There is a big difference.

and yes, people who act recklessly with their guns are fodder for gun grabbibng politicians, i know its hard to beleive. :bigwhoop:

Pete

Repete
Unfortunately most people wait until it's too late to recognize a physical threat. This guy didn't make that mistake.

I applaud him for not giving in to the way these little bastards terrorize everyone around them. Of course, now the media is trying to Bernie Goetz him, which should come as no surprise.

If the kids intent was to physically harm the old guy I doubt he would have let him call a time out, leave, return to his house, fetch his Mossberg, and return to shoot him.

I am not saying the kids were not a-holes, didn't deserve a beat down. I am saying hauling out a shotgun and blazing away in a residential neighborhood was wrong and as it will play out did not serve his purpose. He will now sit in jail, the kid after suing the HOA will get a windfall.

betty99

I know people that are friendly to neighbor kids, say hello, enlist their help and try to treat kids like young adults. The chances of those neighbors being terrorized are reduced compared to the folks that just yell, cuss at the kids and threaten.

True, but there are some kids who don't respond to that positive reinforcement.

Dye Tied

Garden Variety Gnome
:yeahthat: I remember way back when when a couple of menacing young punks who terrorized Chaptico ended up found in a turtle swamp. Amazingly the vandalism and theft crime rate dropped considerable when those two took a nose dive into the mud....:coffee:

But they forgot one, Baja! :jet:

thatguy

Fleeing kids have a nasty habit of coming back later, unless you strongly encourage them not to.

then he should have shot them when they came back and were actually a threat, not when they were fleeing. Again, if he did that, i would be 100% behind him.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
So, this is a gated community, probably with exhorbitant HOA fees, and there is no more security here than if they lived on Great Mills Rd.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
He will now sit in jail, the kid after suing the HOA will get a windfall.

Lotsa injustice in this nasty ol' world, and the laws are firmly stacked in favor of the criminal. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't take a stand anyway.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
It is so about the kid now being the victim and hyperventilating parents. Hit the kid with a paintball gun, BFD, I'm sure him and his devil friends do that to each other for fun all the time.

The problem is, in this day and age, a-hole kids do not respect others and their property. Why is this? Because they don't have to. Because we, as a society, do not make anyone accountable for their actions. There is no fear in kids about repercussions because there are none. Not from their parents and not from the judicial system. I stand behind what this old man did all the way. Enough is enough.

One of their friends getting nailed by a shotgun wasn't enough even.

Fox news shows them out the very next day continuing doing what they do.. even showed them "grinding" on a bench at a private business in Lusby.

You'd think after one of them got shot the parents would tell them to slow down or stop.. but they're out the very next day continuing to trespass, harass, and destroying private property.

Pete

Repete
Lotsa injustice in this nasty ol' world, and the laws are firmly stacked in favor of the criminal. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't take a stand anyway.

Well I am not about to sit my freedom loving ass in prison doing a 3-5 stint for dusting up some worhtless punk with a shotgun to make a point, especially when there are dozens of other alternatives to solve the problem that don't involve hauling out a cannon.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
One of their friends getting nailed by a shotgun wasn't enough even.

Fox news shows them out the very next day continuing doing what they do.. even showed them "grinding" on a bench at a private business in Lusby.

You'd think after one of them got shot the parents would tell them to slow down or stop.. but they're out the very next day continuing to trespass, harass, and destroying private property.

And there you have it. :shrug:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
So, this is a gated community, probably with exhorbitant HOA fees, and there is no more security here than if they lived on Great Mills Rd.

It has a gate, but it's not a fenced in compound. You can't drive on at will, but you can walk on, and in and around at will.

From what I've read they've had problems with these kids for a long time, and nothing was ever done, so now they are trying to provide the evidence themselves so the cops WILL do something.

Catch them on camera, or video surveillance.. or the cops won't do anything about it, until a homeowner is forced to take things in his own hands, and then it's him that ends up in jail.

I bet the kids are bragging it up at school today, how they got the old guy arrested and they're still out skating and biking like nothing happened.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Well I am not about to sit my freedom loving ass in prison doing a 3-5 stint for dusting up some worhtless punk with a shotgun to make a point, especially when there are dozens of other alternatives to solve the problem that don't involve hauling out a cannon.

And this is how we've gotten to this point in our society.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

The question would be, what alternatives, and which alternatives did he already exhaust with no outcome?

I'm sure he's tried everything he could think of, to include police involvement, just to find the kids on his property a day or two later.

Vince

I agree 100%. If it were my kid that was shot in the leg, I'd drag gimpy over to that old man's house to apologize. That man should not be in jail, those kids should be.

The whole "kids will be kids" bs is ridiculous, and all of you getting the vapors over this old man having enough, are part of the problem. Kids these days know they can get away with anything because their parents are a bunch of hyperventilating pushovers.
Our generation was taught to respect our elders. Kids today are taught that they can do anything they want to do. Their dumbazz parents tell them that. It doesn't surprise me a bit that they were back at it the very next day.

Taeobi

It has a gate, but it's not a fenced in compound. You can't drive on at will, but you can walk on, and in and around at will.

From what I've read they've had problems with these kids for a long time, and nothing was ever done, so now they are trying to provide the evidence themselves so the cops WILL do something.

Catch them on camera, or video surveillance.. or the cops won't do anything about it, until a homeowner is forced to take things in his own hands, and then it's him that ends up in jail.

I bet the kids are bragging it up at school today, how they got the old guy arrested and they're still out skating and biking like nothing happened.

Oh they are!! Little hoods, and all their ignorant friends, think they are even cooler now, than they thought they were before!! It's a damn shame!!

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
That old bastard was not in fear for his life and should be put away for a few years.