4 Boy Scout Leaders Die In Electrical Accident

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
rack'm said:
So, are you finally seeing where my sarcastic post makes sense?? :confused:
:howdy: I did ... I did!

I don't see how it's any different to comment on the lack of common sense these folks failed to apply, and laughing about Darwin Award winners. :shrug:

In your head
crabcake said:
I thought the 'forum rule of thumb' was if it wasn't someone's parent, child, sibling or spouse, the story was 'fair game' to comment on. :shrug:

As if that rule of thumb ever stopped you. :popcorn:

rack'm

Jaded
crabcake said:

I don't see how it's any different to comment on the lack of common sense these folks failed to apply, and laughing about Darwin Award winners. :shrug:

It never fails around here......people spout off before they think past their noses. :duh:

itsbob said:
Enlarge the picture on the LEFT.. it has a telephone pole in the foreground.. and if you look closely you'll see the center pole of the BIG white tent sittin on wires in the background..
Ah, now I believe I see what you are talking about. I doubt it is the actual offending pole. Based simply on the belief that one of the first things that would have been done after power was cut off would be to remove the pole from contact with the wires. What I do believe it is, is a broken electric wire that has fallen onto the aforementioned tent, and is awaiting repair. Either way, dumb move by the leaders to be setting up a tent under the wires.

crabcake said:

I take offense at him making a joke out of their deaths. No more, no less.

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
nomoney said:
YOu are soooo mean to say that about those poor dead volunteers :bawl: That is not funny, not funny at all :mad:
You are mean and I agree with Peanut that you are mean.

rack'm

Jaded
huntr1 said:
I take offense at him making a joke out of their deaths. No more, no less.

I was making fun of their ignorance, not their deaths. :duh::duh:

It's a lose cause, you just CAN'T make people think. :sad:

willie

willie said:
If that is the case, they do need to address the training. What else happened?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rack'm

Do I have to use the smilie constantly to show you dinguses my intent?? UFB!

This is a group of people working with kids showing them how to do right and do what's best and yet they have accidents constantly........it seems that a LOT more supervision is needed.

If that is the case, they do need to address the training. What else happened?

What other accidents have they had?

rack'm

Jaded
willie said:
What other accidents have they had?

Jamboree spokeswoman Renee Fairrer said the accident came a day after Boy Scouts volunteer Albert Puff, of Stella, N.C., was taken to a local hospital where he died of an apparent heart attack.

In 1997, a 16-year-old Boy Scout was killed at a Jamboree when an Army Humvee he was not supposed to be driving flipped over.

I know the dudes heart attack wasn't an accident, but it's in the article.

rack'm said:
Jamboree spokeswoman Renee Fairrer said the accident came a day after Boy Scouts volunteer Albert Puff, of Stella, N.C., was taken to a local hospital where he died of an apparent heart attack.

In 1997, a 16-year-old Boy Scout was killed at a Jamboree when an Army Humvee he was not supposed to be driving flipped over.

As for the accidents, the Jamboree is every 4 years, and draws upwards of 40,000 Scouts every time. 2 major ( as in resulted in death) accidents (humvee and tent pole) in 8 years (3 Jamborees) is NOT bad. The Scouts made a major change in policy after the Scouts went joyriding in the Humvee (not to mention the Army busting heads over it). No doubt there will be further changes in BSA policy after yesterday's accident.

edited to correct attendee #'s.

Last edited:

willie

rack'm said:

Considering the size of the Jamboree, that is one helluva good safety record. In fact, it is too good.

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
willie said:
Considering the size of the Jamboree, that is one helluva good safety record. In fact, it is too good.
Too good? How is that possible? :confused:

They closed the Jamboree today to spend the day reviewing safety procedures.

They are only taling about "major" accidents in the article. There are hundreds (I am assuming) of "accidents" every Jamboree that are not in the count (i.e. heat exhaustion, cut fingers, twisted ankles tec.). But still, the Jamboree does have an impressive safety record.