$85 BILLION to Ukraine and Israel

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Not sure - it doesn't have to be only one, obviously.

Apparently it does because we "can't afford" the border wall, nor can we "afford" to revamp our infrastructure - we "can't afford" a lot things but by god we *can* afford to send (how many BILLIONS is it now?) to Ukraine. We can also "afford" to house and feed the millions of illegal aliens coming into our country.

So it's clearly one or the other. Which one do you choose?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Zuni... that's an old rocket.
It has been (was..I thought we stopped producing those many years ago. The production program was being wound down when I was still a rocket engineer in the mid 80s) around about as long as the 2.75" rocket. I worked on both at one time. Of course I'm old too, so...

Clem72

How does that help the average American?
It's SLIGHTLY better because that money is more likely to stay in the US economy vs handing out cash to a foreign power and the people employed by those companies (mostly Americans) are the ones providing the services or building the widgets.

StmarysCity79

So explain to me why it's so much more important to give this money to a foreign country than do things for our own country and our own citizens.

If it was your money - and it is - how much of your personal income are you willing to give to Ukraine? Say a kid comes around with a can and asks you to donate to Ukraine - how much will you give him?

Better yet, say there are two donation bins at the grocery store - one for Ukraine and one for homeless vets - and you can only give to one. Which one will you donate to? Because that's what it comes down to. We can't have nice things in this country or take care of our own because we're sending an enormous chunk of our tax dollars to foreign countries.

This is real money. It's OUR money. WE are donating OUR money. You may like being an endless piggy bank for some shithole country, but I don't.

You are making a false dichotomy. We can afford both and we have made agreements with these countries that we will defend them if the need arises.

Didn't you complain about build back better also which was to fund projects here at home?

Why would you want Putin to run roughshod over Europe and why do you think if he is allowed to take Ukraine he would stop there?

StmarysCity79

Apparently it does because we "can't afford" the border wall, nor can we "afford" to revamp our infrastructure - we "can't afford" a lot things but by god we *can* afford to send (how many BILLIONS is it now?) to Ukraine. We can also "afford" to house and feed the millions of illegal aliens coming into our country.

So it's clearly one or the other. Which one do you choose?

How does that help the average American?
Who do you think works for and builds thee weapons and contributes to our economy?

StmarysCity79

How many different programs do there need to be? The many different programs make it impossible to manage. There are already many many programs that exist. If an American child is hungry today it is the fault of their parents. No amount of government money will fix this short of one that removes these children from their parents.

This is a single federally funded program that these governors have decided their state and their children don't need.

One school meal a day is all some kids get. I agree its the parents fault but that doesn't mean the kids should starve in the meantime.

SamSpade

We can also "afford" to house and feed the millions of illegal aliens coming into our country.

You'll get no argument from me on THAT. There's nothing regarding what we are doing for illegal aliens that I agree with, and every country on Earth would swiftly kick you out if you violated THEIR nation. The one difference is how fast they'd kick your ass. Seriously, is there any other nation where if you entered illegally - they'd put you up in the Waldorf Astoria, with free food and medical?

I also don't buy the argument that we "can't afford" this or that program - or that it is some kind of zero sum game, where something must be cut in order to fund something else. In a rational world - that would make sense, but Congress doesn't react that way.

And I've certainly seen, over many years, one side demonize the other saying, they want to push Granny off a cliff when nothing of the sort happens. Whenever I hear a claim made that is on its face, absurd and more vicious than a Snidely Whiplash, I know I'm being fed a pack of lies.

I do however believe claims that Dems are encouraging illegals to come here to try and get an edge in elections - the much sneered at "replacement theory" widely lampooned on the left as being sheer conspiratorial nonsense but has been corroborated by ACTUAL STATEMENTS on the left.

PeoplesElbow

This is a single federally funded program that these governors have decided their state and their children don't need.

One school meal a day is all some kids get. I agree its the parents fault but that doesn't mean the kids should starve in the meantime.
Thing is we can't solve everything at that level. There will still be kids go hungry because their parents would simply keep them from getting this summer meal. The problem needs fixed, not the symptom. I'd be happy if this money was spent on publicly flogging the parents, putting them in stocks and throwing rotten tomatoes at them etc.

StmarysCity79

You'll get no argument from me on THAT. There's nothing regarding what we are doing for illegal aliens that I agree with, and every country on Earth would swiftly kick you out if you violated THEIR nation. The one difference is how fast they'd kick your ass. Seriously, is there any other nation where if you entered illegally - they'd put you up in the Waldorf Astoria, with free food and medical?

I also don't buy the argument that we "can't afford" this or that program - or that it is some kind of zero sum game, where something must be cut in order to fund something else. In a rational world - that would make sense, but Congress doesn't react that way.

And I've certainly seen, over many years, one side demonize the other saying, they want to push Granny off a cliff when nothing of the sort happens. Whenever I hear a claim made that is on its face, absurd and more vicious than a Snidely Whiplash, I know I'm being fed a pack of lies.

I do however believe claims that Dems are encouraging illegals to come here to try and get an edge in elections - the much sneered at "replacement theory" widely lampooned on the left as being sheer conspiratorial nonsense but has been corroborated by ACTUAL STATEMENTS on the left.

Do you think immigrants have the right to vote?

StmarysCity79

Thing is we can't solve everything at that level. There will still be kids go hungry because their parents would simply keep them from getting this summer meal. The problem needs fixed, not the symptom. I'd be happy if this money was spent on publicly flogging the parents, putting them in stocks and throwing rotten tomatoes at them etc.

As would i but in the meantime there are kids that will be attending school and not getting fed while the government money has already been allocated to provide them meals.

This is only happening in these republican states as a puntitive and cruel measure that is not punishing anyone but the innocent hungry kids.

Clem72

Do you think immigrants have the right to vote?
Immigrants? Sure do, as long as they have their green card. Or do you mean illegals?

Illegals can and do vote in state and local elections. In fact only 7 states have made it illegal for non-residents to vote.

StmarysCity79

Immigrants? Sure do, as long as they have their green card. Or do you mean illegals?

Illegals can and do vote in state and local elections. In fact only 7 states have made it illegal for non-residents to vote.

No one is illegal and everyone has a status.

Asylum seeker, immigrant, green card holder.

But do they vote in presidential elections and would that be enough to sway an election?

The great replacement theory is a bunch of racist nonsense

PeoplesElbow

As would i but in the meantime there are kids that will be attending school and not getting fed while the government money has already been allocated to provide them meals.

This is only happening in these republican states as a puntitive and cruel measure that is not punishing anyone but the innocent hungry kids.
Federal money often comes with conditions, it is how the federal government strong arms state governments into doing things.