Accident in front of Loveville MVA

C

cyphertext69

Does anyone know the specifics or watched it on the news? I was told that it was on the local news channel 5 but I didn't get very specific information....anyone want to chime in on this?

C

cyphertext69

Nevermind I got it:

On 01-06-06 at 0739 hours a car carrying 4 youth ranging in age from 14 to 17 years old crossed the center line, while traveling south bound on State Route 5 in Loveville, Maryland and struck the driver's side of a 2002 Ford E450 St. Mary's County Public Transportation bus.

The car was a 1999 Ford Crown Victoria and was driven by a 17 yr. old male from Mechanicsville, Maryland. Both he and the 14 year old, male, front seat passenger were flown to Prince Georges Trauma Center and are listed in stable condition.

The rear driver's side female passenger, Tiakeshia R Thompson age 15 of Mechanicsville, Maryland was pronounced dead at the scene. The other rear seat passenger was treated at St. Mary's Hospital with minor injuries.

The driver and two adult passengers in the Public Transportation bus were treated for minor injuries at St. Mary's Hospital. There were no contributing circumstances on the part of the bus. As a result of the investigation there were no other contributing factors that caused the car to cross over the center line.

amishstalker

Enjoying the ride!!!!
i have a daughter at chopticon, and they were all pretty upset today. Seems those kids were all pretty popular, and great athletes. So very sad

forever jewel

Green Eyed Lady
I have a little sister in 9th grade at chopticon. The girl who died evidently sat right in front of her in biology. She told me the majority of the school was devastated, which is quite understandable. Yet, its such a shame that it takes a death of a teen to get the point across to young drivers that driving with friends in the vehicle is a horrible idea!

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
This reminds me of two girls I went to HS with.....they were killed in a car accident a year after they both graduated. One was almost decapited (closed casket for her) and the other was thrown from the car. It was hard seeing her in a casket. I was unable to go to the closed casket one due to leaving for boot camp.

MMDad

Lem Putt
forever jewel said:
I have a little sister in 9th grade at chopticon. The girl who died evidently sat right in front of her in biology. She told me the majority of the school was devastated, which is quite understandable. Yet, its such a shame that it takes a death of a teen to get the point across to young drivers that driving with friends in the vehicle is a horrible idea!
They have the point today, but they won't in a month. That's why parents need to take action.

Any idea if the victims are related?

S

Shutterbug

I thought there was a law out that you couldn't have more than one teenager in a car when another teenager was driving or something like that?

V

Vixen

Shutterbug said:
I thought there was a law out that you couldn't have more than one teenager in a car when another teenager was driving or something like that?

It never passed, although I am totally for that law. :yay:

I am one to totally agree that having passengers in a vehicle is a distraction at any age but especially distracting to a new driver.

StarCat

Shutterbug said:
There should be a law like that. I am all for the law that they have to be out of HS to get their license.

Pete

Repete
What has changed since we were kids? We had the occasional accident, even one kid died on a 3 wheeler before they outlawed them but nothing like this. It seems like every 3-4 months some kid is killingthemselves on the road. Cars aren't any faster? roads are not narrower? Maybe it is the increased traffic but it is not THAT much more.

Maybe it is just lack of tallent. I grew up in rural Georgia. Was driving tractors at 9, combines at 10, pickups and my dad's old VW at 12. When I tured 14 I was hauling grain in 5 ton trucks on regular highways. The cops all knew we were under age but as long as we were working and not out spinning around causing trouble they just waved. By the time I was 15 I had nearly 6 years behind a wheel.

The simple fact is as long as we have roads and cars people are going to over extend their tallent and the performance of their vehicles and they are going to die. It is just hard when it is so many kids.

rack'm

Jaded
We lost quite a few kids in Chopticon when I was there to drinking and driving, but unless I'm missing something, these kids weren't drinking.

I truly worry about my kids as they grow ever closer to driving age. :ohwell:

Pete

Repete
Shutterbug said:
They took drivers ed out of the schools.
I dunno about that one. :confused: I don't think a human being needs a class to tell them to not pass when a vehicle is approaching from the other direction.

Pete

Repete
rack'm said:
We lost quite a few kids in Chopticon when I was there to drinking and driving, but unless I'm missing something, these kids weren't drinking.

I truly worry about my kids as they grow ever closer to driving age. :ohwell:
Me too and I have a long way to go. Once thing is certain, my kids life will not be put directly in the hands of another teenager. No riding aorund with pals. Conversely, I am not going to allow my kid to ride around a carload of kids either. The next to last thing I want to do is to stand across from some dead kids parents and :shrug: why my kid crashed the car and took their kid away from them.

onebdzee

off the shelf
Shutterbug said:

There is a law now....Went into effect Oct 1, 2005:)confused:I think)....The new law says that you can't have anyone in the car that is under the age of 18 unless they are your immediate relative....

it pertains to the kids that had a learners permit or the ones getting them....or the kids that get their liscense after that date....have 2 of them to just get their learners and it is all over the MVA and the "training book"....

If they get caught....they loose their liscense

MMDad

Lem Putt
Pete said:
What has changed since we were kids? We had the occasional accident, even one kid died on a 3 wheeler before they outlawed them but nothing like this. It seems like every 3-4 months some kid is killingthemselves on the road. Cars aren't any faster? roads are not narrower? Maybe it is the increased traffic but it is not THAT much more.

Maybe it is just lack of tallent. I grew up in rural Georgia. Was driving tractors at 9, combines at 10, pickups and my dad's old VW at 12. When I tured 14 I was hauling grain in 5 ton trucks on regular highways. The cops all knew we were under age but as long as we were working and not out spinning around causing trouble they just waved. By the time I was 15 I had nearly 6 years behind a wheel.

The simple fact is as long as we have roads and cars people are going to over extend their tallent and the performance of their vehicles and they are going to die. It is just hard when it is so many kids.

The only difference is the amount of coverage it gets. The rate is actually down, so much so that we are more shocked when it happens. Thirty years ago, we wouldn't have heard about this until the SMIB Gazette, local radio, or the rumor mill got around to it. Now it's instantaneous.

By the way, I apologize for using big words with you. I didn't know you were from rural Georgia. Any time you need explanations (splainin) just ask and I'll try to help. Even if it's just arithmetic (figgerin), just ask.

rack'm

Jaded
Pete said:
Me too and I have a long way to go. Once thing is certain, my kids life will not be put directly in the hands of another teenager. No riding aorund with pals. Conversely, I am not going to allow my kid to ride around a carload of kids either. The next to last thing I want to do is to stand across from some dead kids parents and :shrug: why my kid crashed the car and took their kid away from them.

Agreed........I was lucky as a kid, came close to crashing a couple times but somehow pulled it out......maybe it is all that tractor driving as a kid. :lmao:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Pete said:
What has changed since we were kids? ...... By the time I was 15 I had nearly 6 years behind a wheel..
There you go.
Most kids today get the "required by law crap driving school instruction" that teaches the rules instead of the physics driving a car.

Pete

Repete
MMDad said:
The only difference is the amount of coverage it gets. The rate is actually down, so much so that we are more shocked when it happens. Thirty years ago, we wouldn't have heard about this until the SMIB Gazette, local radio, or the rumor mill got around to it. Now it's instantaneous.

By the way, I apologize for using big words with you. I didn't know you were from rural Georgia. Any time you need explanations (splainin) just ask and I'll try to help. Even if it's just arithmetic (figgerin), just ask.
I am purty good at cypherin, I got a A in calkulus in colledge. My only problim is I caint speel :yay: