PREMO Member
St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office
Steven A. Hall, Sheriff
23150 Leonard Hall Drive, Leonardtown, MD 20650
NEWS RELEASE
UPDATE: St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office Releases Investigative Findings
LEONARDTOWN, MD
(July 22, 2024) – To highlight the deadly consequences of speeding,
the St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office is releasing the investigative findings of the fatal collision
involving a motorcycle and a Hyundai Santa Fe that occurred on April 7, 2024, in Hollywood,
MD. The motorcycle operator, Tiernan Anthony Stephenson, was pronounced dead at the scene,
and a nine-year-old passenger in the Hyundai succumbed to injuries on April 12, 2024.
The investigation, conducted by the Sheriff’s Office Reconstruction Unit, has determined the
motorcycle operator’s excessive speed caused the collision. Footage from the helmet camera
worn by Stephenson showed the motorcycle traveling 164 miles per hour immediately before
impact.
Following the release of the investigative findings, Sheriff Steve Hall said, “The impact of this
crash has left permanent scars on the families involved; it is devastating. Witnesses and first
responders are profoundly shaken by what they saw on April 7. It has been said many times
before, but our message begs repeating: driving the speed limit and maintaining focus on the
road must be intentional and habitual. The social contract between all drivers is one of the most
important we make; it is rooted in the truth that every life—yours, your passengers, and those of
others on the road—matters to someone.”
The St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office is committed to ensuring the safety of all road users and
urges drivers to adopt and maintain safe driving habits to prevent future tragedies.
---
UPDATE: Second Victim Dies Following Motorcycle-SUV Crash
LEONARDTOWN, MD
(
April 19, 2024
) –The juvenile victim involved in the April 7, 2024,
vehicle collision at Three Notch Road and Tom Hodges Drive in Hollywood, MD, succumbed to
injuries and died at Children National Medical Center in Washington D.C. on Friday, April 19,
The collision remains under investigation.
---
Original News Release
LEONARDTOWN, MD
(
April 7, 2024
)—At approximately 10:19 a.m., Sunday, April 7, 2024,
St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office Deputies were dispatched to the scene of an automobile
collision involving a motorcycle and an SUV at Three Notch Road and Tom Hodges Drive in
Hollywood

glhs837

Power with Control
The investigation, conducted by the Sheriff’s Office Reconstruction Unit, has determined the
motorcycle operator’s excessive speed caused the collision. Footage from the helmet camera
worn by Stephenson showed the motorcycle traveling 164 miles per hour immediately before
impact.
So I redid the math, and from the point when it was possible to see the bike, she had six seconds before he hit the door. Bikes a small target at 1/4 mile subtract reaction time and the odds of any other outcome are pretty slim.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
So I redid the math, and from the point when it was possible to see the bike, she had six seconds before he hit the door. Bikes a small target at 1/4 mile subtract reaction time and the odds of any other outcome are pretty slim.
And people still don't learn. Another bike just headed NB 235 at a screaming pace.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
And people still don't learn. Another bike just headed NB 235 at a screaming pace.
We had one go up my street last night at about 100MPH followed by six Calvert Deputies going just a little bit slower.

Why do these guys seem to be picking dead end streets to try run from the cops recently?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
So will all the folks that sided with the rider and blamed the driver for pulling out in front finally admit this was caused by the idiot on the motorcycle and the lady in the car had no chance to avoid the collision? Or will we get more enabling?
Doubt it.

OccamsRazor

either way i'm of the opinion that i don't want fine officers on the side of the road doing BS traffic stops.. I'd rather they be looking for dangerous people and patrolling creating a presence in the community keeping it safer. One of the great travesties is when an officers job is to do traffic on the side of the highway and gets hit, all because the state wants the revenue. People dont sign up to be officers to be road pirates for the govt.
There are A LOT of people who would like to just do 1/3 or 1/2 of the job they signed up to do and still get a full paycheck. What makes LEOs so deserving of the right to only do half of the job? 100% sure that EVERY construction worker wants to just do demo and build but NOT have to unpack and put away all the tools on the job. Its part of the job they signed up for just like everyone else. DO IT!!

DaSDGuy

Another -

Let's see -

(1) 15 year old rider - no license, not legal
(2) dirt bike on the street - not legal
(3) 8:59 PM, so its dark, bike has no headlight - not legal
(4) no license plate, not legal

1721755244287.png

:sarcasm:
Must be the cars fault

3CATSAILOR

Another -

Let's see -

(1) 15 year old rider - no license, not legal
(2) dirt bike on the street - not legal
(3) 8:59 PM, so its dark, bike has no headlight - not legal
(4) no license plate, not legal

View attachment 178383

:sarcasm:
Must be the cars fault
No tags on a Crotch Rocket - It seems to be common. I see it quite a bit.

3CATSAILOR

You do know that's a dirt bike and not a crotch rocket correct
Crotch Rocket. Some don't bother with tags or insurance. If the police make an attempt, they simply out run them. Or, they run in to something trying to get away. However, some have a tag on a vertical angle. Another I have seen has the tag so far under the seat but above the rear tire, it it isn't fully visible.

DaSDGuy

Crotch Rocket. Some don't bother with tags or insurance. If the police make an attempt, they simply out run them. Or, they run in to something trying to get away. However, some have a tag on a vertical angle. Another I have seen has the tag so far under the seat but above the rear tire, it it isn't fully visible.
Dirt Bike. No tags because they are not required for off road use. And off road tires suck at traction on asphalt. All around stupid going fast on pavement riding a dirt bike. Parents who let their kids do that might as well let them play Russian Roulette with a Glock.

glhs837

Power with Control
No, and you should trust the folks here who have over a century of riding experience.

This is a crotch rocket. Capable of 0-60 speeds that most cars cannot dream of. Note the bodywork covering almost everything, since aero matters above 150mph. Note the lack of suspension travel. Since it never leaves the pavement, it doesnt need that much. Note how far away from the seat the handlebars are. Forces you into riding in a crouched position, better for aero.

Crotch Rocket.jpg

This is a dirst bike. Not much body work since it cant get above 80 most likely, and its would just get damaged on rocks and branches anyway. See large amount of suspension travel.... no need to discuss that, its obvious. See how close the bars are to the seat. Dirt bike riders operate standing up almost as much as they do sitting down, depending on terrain.

Dirt Bike.jpg

3CATSAILOR

No, and you should trust the folks here who have over a century of riding experience.

This is a crotch rocket. Capable of 0-60 speeds that most cars cannot dream of. Note the bodywork covering almost everything, since aero matters above 150mph. Note the lack of suspension travel. Since it never leaves the pavement, it doesnt need that much. Note how far away from the seat the handlebars are. Forces you into riding in a crouched position, better for aero.

View attachment 178688

This is a dirst bike. Not much body work since it cant get above 80 most likely, and its would just get damaged on rocks and branches anyway. See large amount of suspension travel.... no need to discuss that, its obvious. See how close the bars are to the seat. Dirt bike riders operate standing up almost as much as they do sitting down, depending on terrain.

View attachment 178689
Yeah, I sure agree with that.

3CATSAILOR

When police do reconstruction of accidents a lot of math is used in order to accurately reconstruct what happened.

Last edited: