An open apology

PsyOps

Pixelated
They have sacrificed their intellects for comfort. There's nothing wrong with that, It's a very human thing to do. It's like drinking beers.

However this sort of view doesn't stand up to any sort of empirical criticism. Logic and rationality are what the world needs right now, not more religious zealots.

Logic and rationality, in this context, brought us the USSR, Communist China and N. Korea; where practicing such beliefs are banned. What's rational about that? Logic and rationality, in this context, removes personal responsibility and replaces it with government manated thinking.

In both of their true contexts – logic and religious belief – neither are rational. There is no rationality in a God. It goes aganst every physical aspect of our lives. Humans reject the thought of a spirit and a God that created it because it can’t be detected with the senses. Logic fails because it attempts to disclaim that which cannot, in the fathom of believers, be disclaimed and it tries to disclaim that which is not logical from a physical standpoint.

So, what are you left with…………………. Faith. You cannot take away my faith with logic. It’s something you have to come to understand on your own and it is not influenced by any other person. Your logic completely dismisses (let alone underestimates) the power of my God. And that’s where you will always miss the mark.

dazed&fallen

fine artist
Logic and rationality, in this context, brought us the USSR, Communist China and N. Korea; where practicing such beliefs are banned. What's rational about that? Logic and rationality, in this context, removes personal responsibility and replaces it with government manated thinking.

In both of their true contexts – logic and religious belief – neither are rational. There is no rationality in a God. It goes aganst every physical aspect of our lives. Humans reject the thought of a spirit and a God that created it because it can’t be detected with the senses. Logic fails because it attempts to disclaim that which cannot, in the fathom of believers, be disclaimed and it tries to disclaim that which is not logical from a physical standpoint.

So, what are you left with…………………. Faith. You cannot take away my faith with logic. It’s something you have to come to understand on your own and it is not influenced by any other person. Your logic completely dismisses (let alone underestimates) the power of my God. And that’s where you will always miss the mark.

That's where personal responsibility becomes important. Things cannot be mandated by government. There's no free will in that.

"Miss the Mark!!" how clever of you to say that. You're speaking in didactic again. sorry to point that out.

Gwydion

Very well said.

Gwydion

That's where personal responsibility becomes important. Things cannot be mandated by government. There's no free will in that.

"Miss the Mark!!" how clever of you to say that. You're speaking in didactic again. sorry to point that out.

How do you know what to be personally responsible for without the morals of religious text or laws to abide by?

dazed&fallen

fine artist
Nope, you believe in karma. You believe in Cause and Effect. Both of which are irrational things that were written about in archaic texts.

So, explain.

Old Testament Levitical laws were written for practicalities sake. Now that they have ceased to be practical we've done away with many of them.

Buddhism is a different sort of religion than you'd expect. Usually there's not quite as much dogma. it's less canned and more practical.

Last edited:

Gwydion

Old Testment Levitical laws were written for practicalities sake. Now that they have ceased to be practical we've done away with many of them.

Buddhism is a different sort of religion than you'd expect. Usually there's not quite as much dogma. it's less canned and more practical.

Didn't answer the question. Answer it, and we can continue our conversation.

dazed&fallen

fine artist
Didn't answer the question. Answer it, and we can continue our conversation.

I won't argue to the death about the validity of these texts. My rational mind tells me that I have to have some sort of gameplan in this life to keep me out of trouble. The world is changing, morality is changing. I am able to use my mind to make good decisions on these new issues without dogma.

Gwydion

I won't argue to the death about the validity of these texts. My rational mind tells me that I have to have some sort of gameplan in this life to keep me out of trouble. The world is changing, morality is changing. I am able to use my mind to make good decisions on these new issues without dogma.

Your mind is irrational. You simply saying "it is" is nothing more than these christians are doing.

So, clear up that idea and I will continue. How can YOUR idea of rationality be better than, say, psy's version of rationality?

dazed&fallen

fine artist
Your mind is irrational. You simply saying "it is" is nothing more than these christians are doing.

So, clear up that idea and I will continue. How can YOUR idea of rationality be better than, say, psy's version of rationality?

I don't always make the best decisions. I am human like everyone else. My rationality demands evidence, it is not contingent on a leap of faith.

dazed&fallen

fine artist
But you believe is something irrational. So, once again, how is your belief better than anybody else's?

Believe in bold letters. Like that makes it stronger. I believe in things I find evidence for.

Cause and Effect is practically mathematical.

In this world you must demand evidence otherwise people will rob you blind.

Gwydion

Believe in bold letters. Like that makes it stronger. I believe in things I find evidence for.

Cause and Effect is practically mathematical.

In this world you must demand evidence otherwise people will rob you blind.

Cause and effect is not mathematical. Not when it comes down to karma.

So, I am demanding evidence that karma, your belief, is real.

PsyOps

Pixelated

Oh but they can. People have been put in jail for practicing their religion in such countries. Some have had their tongues cut out. Some have been crucified for it. They have been silenced.

There's no didacticism here. I'm simply applying logic to this discussion in order to counter your logic. If you get a moral lesson out of it, then that's a bonus.