Anyone Else Pre-Order the Galaxy S III?

BigSlam123b

Only happy When It Rains
The plan change is set to occur on June 28th. Your new contract will activate on July 9th. I'm wondering if the VZW rep gave you bad info. It wouldn't be the first time for that to happen.

Activation has nothing to do with the pre order. At the time the pre order was placed you had to agree to the terms of a new 2 year contract. So basically your new contract started as soon as you agreed to the terms. Phone activation is irrelevant.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Activation has nothing to do with the pre order. At the time the pre order was placed you had to agree to the terms of a new 2 year contract. So basically your new contract started as soon as you agreed to the terms. Phone activation is irrelevant.

Yep. That's what we found out in some of the links that were posted. Now I have to decided between Razor Maxx or Galaxy S3.

LazySmurfette

Ugh! I am so confused with all this tiered and share talk. I just (this morning) upgraded to the Razr Maxx, my DX decided it was donezo last night. I had to change my plan, it said my new phone was not compatible with my current plan, which was unlimited everything. I have one other phone on my plan which is not a smart phone. We have a family share plan as I used to have a 3rd phone but dropped it last year. It was cheaper to stay with the family plan.

I chose the 2GB bundle, because, as of right now 19 days into my cycle I am at 1.1GB. I am a stay at home mom, and have my laptop but don't always feel like using it. Did I just screw myself out of my unlimited data when I could have actually stayed grandfathered in? I did have to pay the $13 for expedited shipping which was supposed to be free so I called and they said computer glitch and it will be credited to my account.

HELP!!!!

ylexot

Super Genius
I went ahead and pre ordered the S3 for the wife and I. I went to BB first, but they told me that the contact does not start until the phone comes in and I would lose unlimited data. So I went to BJs and ordered there.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I went ahead and pre ordered the S3 for the wife and I. I went to BB first, but they told me that the contact does not start until the phone comes in and I would lose unlimited data. So I went to BJs and ordered there.

What made you decide in favor of the S3 over the Razor Max?

glhs837

Power with Control
Maybe the fact that it has curves? Did a comparison, the two are really close, and for me right now, same cost..

S3 has a 1.9mp forward facing cam, while the Maxx has a 1.3mp.

Both have 16 gig internal, while the Maxx adds a preinstalled additional 16gig microsd card.

S3 has a 2100mAh battery, the Maxx a 3300mHa one. Oddly the S3 has a longer standby (400hrs vs 379), but the Maxx has a huge lead in usage time (1290min vs 900

Maxx offers VZ navigator and Visual Voicemail, if those are a draw for you, make no difference to me.

Maxx offers IP67 protection (dust and water resistant), S3 does not

Here's a good comparison..

Comparing Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX vs. Samsung Galaxy S3 - Eleven Reasons for the Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX - VERSUS IO

ylexot

Super Genius
What made you decide in favor of the S3 over the Razor Max?

Bigger, higher resolution screen, faster processor and more RAM. I think it beats the Maxx in every way except battery life and possibly radio performance. Samsung also tends to have better camera quality than Motorola.

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
My concerns that the S3 doesn't address are battery life and durability. I have abused my original Droid (launch model) , repeated drops on hard surfaces, and it lives in my pocket, no protector since it wont fit the car cradle, and it's still kicking just fine. Two and half years. A few scratches on the edges and the raised portion of the M on the back has worn to bare metal, and of course the screen remains unblemished (why people pay money for aftermarket protection for Gorilla Glass screens eludes me, that stuff is a scientific miracle.)

So, when I do jump, I think the Maxx will be it, unless the HD drops before I upgrade.

awpitt

Main Streeter
My concerns that the S3 doesn't address are battery life and durability. I have abused my original Droid (launch model) , repeated drops on hard surfaces, and it lives in my pocket, no protector since it wont fit the car cradle, and it's still kicking just fine. Two and half years. A few scratches on the edges and the raised portion of the M on the back has worn to bare metal, and of course the screen remains unblemished (why people pay money for aftermarket protection for Gorilla Glass screens eludes me, that stuff is a scientific miracle.)

So, when I do jump, I think the Maxx will be it, unless the HD drops before I upgrade.

I've had the Incredible since May 2010 and have managed to avoid damaging it. Stays in my pocket, no protector case, etc. I guess I've been lucky. As far as battery life on the S3, I'm sure they'll be higher capacity batteries available that can replace the battery that ships with the S3. This is not an option that's available for the Razr Maxx.

awpitt

Main Streeter

Well, I just made the jump for the S3. Pre-ordered it online. My ship date is estimated to be July 10th. Verified that I keep unlimited data.

I hope the folks at Apple don't get their way...

Samsung says its lawyers didn’t design the Galaxy S III. Well, perhaps they should have, because the device has already been challenged by Apple, and it hasn’t even arrived at market in the U.S. yet.
Late Tuesday, Apple filed a motion in U.S. District Court in San Jose, requesting a preliminary ban on the Galaxy S III, which it alleges infringes two of its patents: U.S. Patent No. 8,086,604, “Universal interface for retrieval of information in a computer system,” and No. 5,946,647, “System and method for performing an action on a structure in computer-generated data.” The former applies to Siri — Apple’s speech-recognition personal assistant — and the latter to data tapping.

The company has asked the court to impose an injunction on the Galaxy S III before June 21, its launch date in the U.S.

Apple Tries to Stop Samsung Galaxy S III at the Border - John Paczkowski - Mobile - AllThingsD

ylexot

Super Genius
Apple already lost that battle. :yay:

I've had my Droid X in my pocket unprotected for two years, so I have no concerns about my abuse of phones. The wife will get a case ;-)

I think the SGS3 will outperform the DX for battery life, so that's not much of a concern for me.

The biggest concern for me is still the radio performance. But if it sucks, I have 14 days to trade it for a Maxx (or HD if available).

glhs837

Power with Control
Apple already lost that battle. :yay:

I've had my Droid X in my pocket unprotected for two years, so I have no concerns about my abuse of phones. The wife will get a case ;-)

I think the SGS3 will outperform the DX for battery life, so that's not much of a concern for me.

The biggest concern for me is still the radio performance. But if it sucks, I have 14 days to trade it for a Maxx (or HD if available).

Whats the DX?

ylexot

Super Genius
Whats the DX?

The Droid X...the phone I have now.

Another thing the S3 well have going for it is that it could out sell the iPhone globally or at least come close which means more aftermarket accessories and more developer support.

ylexot

Super Genius
Oh, and one more advantage for the S3 is that the battery is easily replaceable. Now that we won't be getting subsidized phones every two years if we want to keep unlimited data, we may be keeping phones longer and need to replace the battery as the old one becomes weak.

glhs837

Power with Control
As a guy who has replaced LCDs and digitizers on phones, replacing a "non-replaceable" battery doesnt bother me. User serviceable is a variable. :buddies:

somdfunguy

not impressed
I keep thinking about it but the first version has been such a letdown to me that I don't want to deal with Samsung again.

CNN didn;t give it a raving review... only so-so.

Review: Samsung Galaxy S III smartphone aims high, falls short - CNN.com

The one thing that is important to me in a cell phone is.... the cell phone. Not so much the bells and whistles. I don't see many reviews where they talk about or even compare the quality of the sound/voice from both ends of the conversation. I hate talking to someone on a BlackBerry because it sounds so crappy. My own phone (an old LG) sounds great on both ends.

Last edited: