Are Catholic Beliefs and Practices Biblical?

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
Maybe a false teacher but even that's incorrect. Why?

1) I don't claim to be a prophet.
2) What I've said has already happened. It's happening daily.
You are a sort of backwards prophet; you pick events that have already occurred and attribute them to your God to make a point. Such as your statement that AIDS was initiated as a punishment to gay people. Obviously! Nobody can prove that wrong, so it must be right, thereby vindicating you and your god. :clap:

libby

Do you take the Bible truth over every other book or teaching?

And how many times do you have to be told that it's not either/or, it's and/both.
The Bible over every book, yes. The teachings that we hold are supported in Scripture, either implicitly, just like your acceptance of the Trinity, or explicitly, like the True Presence of Christ in the Eucharist.
Proper interpretation, and interpretation is a result of the sum total of Scriptures, reason and what we know about God through the Scriptures. I would also add that nature, the order of things in this world and love itself, as we experience it here, shed light on the One, True God and His plan for us.

Let's think about the passages in John 6. I'll start a thread if I can get a few minutes today. Let's use that thread to go over the relevant Scripture that you think provides the context for the symbolism, and I'll provide the Scripture that supports the True Presence.

UNA

Wirelessly posted

ItalianScallion said:
Who's being difficult? I never said that you couldn't understand ANY of it. I said ANYONE can read it and get a lot out of it. (Did you miss that)?

Then I said: since you've chosen not to believe in this God, you wouldn't be able to see many of the other truths in it. IOW: There will be many things that you won't understand because they are hidden from your understanding. There are books out there that YOU could read and learn a lot about how to read the Bible but that would only help you a bit.

I give up IOW no matter what I say about the Bible; if it agrees with your interpretation then it must be a part even non-believers are allowed to understand...if it doesn't then it must be a part only TRUE believers (by your definition only of course) can understand it.

:rolleyes: You're very self serving both with your interpretation of the Bible and of your own contradictions, IMO.

Last edited:

UNA

Wirelessly posted

hvp05 said:
Maybe a false teacher but even that's incorrect. Why?

1) I don't claim to be a prophet.
2) What I've said has already happened. It's happening daily.
You are a sort of backwards prophet; you pick events that have already occurred and attribute them to your God to make a point. Such as your statement that AIDS was initiated as a punishment to gay people. Obviously! Nobody can prove that wrong, so it must be right, thereby vindicating you and your god. :clap:

Isn't that how all 'prophecies' work? :lol:

hvp05

Isn't that how all 'prophecies' work?
Sometimes. I don't know if IS has ever predicted anything, but he certainly has tried to justify himself by looking back and attributing events to his god.

UNA

Wirelessly posted

hvp05 said:
Isn't that how all 'prophecies' work?
Sometimes. I don't know if IS has ever predicted anything, but he certainly has tried to justify himself by looking back and attributing events to his god.

I know that's how the Bible Code works and most other 'prophecies'. It's a lot of "see? That happened and (insert unexplainable force here) did it/said it would happen!" :lol:

But yes, I don't think IS has made any prophecies of his own...well...other than that liberals will be the fall of mankind :killingme

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
So what? It's kinda like reporting the news...
And how many times do you have to be told that it's not either/or, it's and/both.
The Bible over every book, yes. The teachings that we hold are supported in Scripture, either implicitly, just like your acceptance of the Trinity, or explicitly, like the True Presence of Christ in the Eucharist.
Proper interpretation, and interpretation is a result of the sum total of Scriptures, reason and what we know about God through the Scriptures. I would also add that nature, the order of things in this world and love itself, as we experience it here, shed light on the One, True God and His plan for us.
I know where you're coming from Libby. I want to know Mongo's view. I'm not going to pick on him because he's (possibly) a Catholic, I just want to know what I'm dealing with. I ask it of a lot of people. Besides, he and I seem to agree 99% on political and moral issues...
I give up IOW no matter what I say about the Bible; if it agrees with your interpretation then it must be a part even non-believers are allowed to understand...if it doesn't then it must be a part only TRUE believers (by your definition only of course) can understand it. :rolleyes: You're very self serving both with your interpretation of the Bible and of your own contradictions, IMO.
You just won't accept what is being said, that's all. What I'm speaking of are not things that you can't understand, so what's the problem?
(QUOTE=UNA)
I know that's how the Bible Code works and most other 'prophecies'. It's a lot of "see? That happened and (insert unexplainable force here) did it/said it would happen!" :lol: But yes, I don't think IS has made any prophecies of his own...well...other than that liberals will be the fall of mankind :killingme
Hey! You 2 stop talkng about me! I might actually be reading these posts! :tantrum :lmao:

hvp05

So what? It's kinda like reporting the news...
If the news was trying to convert people to a particular belief system via insults and fear.

You'll keep squirming and denying that is what you're doing, so there is no point in further into it. :howdy:

UNA

Wirelessly posted

hvp05 said:
I don't deal well with contradiction...
Aww. You are totally free to speak your mind... as long as you mind your place as a woman and stay quiet when told.

Oh yeah, that's right. I better hurry up and quit my job and get barefoot and pregnant :lol:

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
If the news was trying to convert people to a particular belief system via insults and fear. You'll keep squirming and denying that is what you're doing, so there is no point in further into it. :howdy:
If the news had the truth that I have, I wouldn't argue with them...:dye:
I don't either but, since there wasn't one, you don't have to...

hvp05

If the news had the truth that I have, I wouldn't argue with them...
The truth you have. At least when MSDNC reports something that seems sketchy I can turn over to Fox or some other source to help dial in on the facts. In your case, however, you are the only source of what you claim.

"So, IS, do you think you're being honest?"
"Uhhhh... yup."
"Okay everybody, that cinches it; we need to convert right away!"

UNA

Wirelessly posted

ItalianScallion said:
If the news was trying to convert people to a particular belief system via insults and fear. You'll keep squirming and denying that is what you're doing, so there is no point in further into it. :howdy:
I don't either but, since there wasn't one, you don't have to...

OMG, you're right! I was soo wrong! :sarcasm:

UNA

Wirelessly posted

hvp05 said:
If the news had the truth that I have, I wouldn't argue with them...
The truth you have. At least when MSDNC reports something that seems sketchy I can turn over to Fox or some other source to help dial in on the facts. In your case, however, you are the only source of what you claim.

"So, IS, do you think you're being honest?"
"Uhhhh... yup."
"Okay everybody, that cinches it; we need to convert right away!"

:yeahthat:

McGinn77

Can we please all start using the correct words?

truth   
[trooth]
–noun, plural truths  

1. the true or actual state of a matter
2. conformity with fact or reality
3. a verified or indisputable fact, proposition, principle

o·pin·ion   
[uh-pin-yuhn]
–noun
1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.
3. the formal expression of a professional judgment

:boxing:

libby

Can we please all start using the correct words?

truth   
[trooth]
–noun, plural truths  

1. the true or actual state of a matter
2. conformity with fact or reality
3. a verified or indisputable fact, proposition, principle

o·pin·ion   
[uh-pin-yuhn]
–noun
1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.
3. the formal expression of a professional judgment

:boxing:

Well, Truth is what we're discussing. And there really is only one Truth, whether that is the Catholic position, the OSAS position, evolution or something else is what we're all hammering out.

Starman3000m

Well, Truth is what we're discussing. And there really is only one Truth, whether that is the Catholic position, the OSAS position, evolution or something else is what we're all hammering out.

At last we agree!!! There Is Only One Truth (John 14:6) :howdy:

Therefore, theological TRUTH is an EXPLICIT - Either/Or situation and cannot be an "And/Also/Could Be/Presumption/Implicit Assumption"

There Is Only One Truth!

McGinn77

Then by definition it is opinion. If I say "Maryland" begins with an "M", that is the truth, you can't legitimately say "Actually I think I begins with a Z". But if you say "My god is the true god". I can legitimately say " No he's not because there is no god." You can't prove otherwise, and I can't 100% prove to you there is not god, so neither can be defined as truth, fact or anything in that vein...