Are smokers icky?

What do you think of smokers?

• I don't care. It's their life (short but theirs)

Votes: 28 27.2%
  • I smoke.

Votes: 23 22.3%
  • They are nasty, icky, gross

Votes: 44 42.7%
  • I like to hang around smokers for the free second hand smoke.

Votes: 8 7.8%

• Total voters

Highlander

ONE NATION UNDER GOD
I smoke because I like to smoke. Much like I drink beer because I like to drink beer. If I was as repulsed by smoking as you are, I wouldn't smoke. It's that simple.

NeverSmokeAgain

But WHY do we put ourselves into a state of DENIAL? The answer is simple. We fear that if we try to quit, we will fail. So rather than fail at an attempt at quitting smoking, we adopt an attitude of DENIAL. For many people, DENIAL is the only way to deal with the shame of not wanting to face another attempt at trying to quit smoking and then failing.

However, at some point in your life, after you've had about a MILLION cigarettes, you finally become realistic about the dangers of smoking and decide to do something about your smoking habit.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
NeverSmokeAgain

But WHY do we put ourselves into a state of DENIAL? The answer is simple. We fear that if we try to quit, we will fail. So rather than fail at an attempt at quitting smoking, we adopt an attitude of DENIAL. For many people, DENIAL is the only way to deal with the shame of not wanting to face another attempt at trying to quit smoking and then failing.

However, at some point in your life, after you've had about a MILLION cigarettes, you finally become realistic about the dangers of smoking and decide to do something about your smoking habit.

:lol:

Well, you would know better than I would what I think. :cheers:

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
NeverSmokeAgain

:lol:

Well, you would know better than I would what I think. :cheers:
:high5: Precisely my thought, my dear!

However, I'm a little curious (train wreck mentality) as to where I stand in this denial-fear of failure-shame-acceptance-realization of health risks-and establishing goalsof quitting- cycle. :popcorn:

Ah, what now will I be told to value and feel about myself? :drama:

LadyWolf

I am a smoker. I hate it. I hate the smell. I so badly want to quit. I have gotten myself down to 3 cigs per day. It affects me in so many ways.
I never smoke around my kids. I do smoke in my car when they are not in it. The last time I pulled their carseats out I noticed the smell on them. That saddened me. That is my new goal, to not smoke in my car ever. I have managed to not smoke at home because I moved to an apartment without a balcony and will not leave my kids alone inside to go smoke.
I cannot keep my dirty laundry in my bedroom because it makes my room smell.
It hinders me from dating as well. Most non-smoking men will not date a smoker. For instance...awhile ago I met a man that I adored. We dated for a bit and I constantly tried to quit. I even would go as far as not smoking on the days that I would see him. But, I had to light up the minute that I left his house. And here I am now, I still adore the guy but he will not date me because I smoke. That's a damn shame because we got along so well.
So, I'll start off this week attempting to quit again. Probably for the 100th time in hopes that this attempt will work and I pray that my biatchiness does not offend those around me. :ohwell:

Hang in there!!!!! At least you recognize it and are making some effort to attempt to quit. Some people just don't give a damn and make excuses. Bottom line is...they don't want to quit. It's that simple. I had quit several times but went back. Don't worry about the biatchiness, that too does go away in time.

LadyWolf

NeverSmokeAgain

I agree. Also.....smokers get annoyed at other people's successes in quitting because "what if they can't quit". I liked cigarettes and I miss them sometimes, but I noticed that by quitting, my chest doesn't hurt, my sinuses don't hurt, I smell better, my room smells good, and I have some extra money in my pocket!!!

Highlander

ONE NATION UNDER GOD
I agree. Also.....smokers get annoyed at other people's successes in quitting because "what if they can't quit". I liked cigarettes and I miss them sometimes, but I noticed that by quitting, my chest doesn't hurt, my sinuses don't hurt, I smell better, my room smells good, and I have some extra money in my pocket!!!

I used to smoke myself so I know what you mean. You feel so much better after you quit. It's been almost 19 years for me since I put a cig in my mouth. I feel for those who really wanna quit but are having a hard time. I don't understand how anyone (Vrai and Vic) can say they smoke just because they like it and don't wanna quit. How can someone not wanna quit? That's like a person addicted to huffing paint. Hey, why should they quit. They do it because they want to. That's why I brought up the denial thing earlier in the post.

If there was a pill you could take that would cause you to quit immediately, why wouldn't someone take it? It just doesn't make sense.

Christy

b*tch rocket
I can avoid you all easily. Please feel free to avoid me.

:shrug:

It won't happen. I swear I think rabid anti-smokers purposely go sniffing about just to have something else to complain about. Since they can no longer piss and moan about you harming their health while they're out at a bar (which is so frackin ironic, but seems to always be lost on them), they now must fill the void with pissing and moaning about having to smell the residuals. I bet you a dollar that some douche is already out there performing a study on the cancer causing effects of hugging a smoker. :duh:

I think what pissed me off the most was when I had a 400 lb beast of a human being lecture me on the dangers to my health from smoking. :banghead: Some people are just unfreakinbelievable.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Anyone who defends their right to smoke as a personal choice is just saying they CAN'T quit.

It is still a personal choice. I quit for well over a year, then started again. I'll quit again when I feel like it. At this point, I really have no desire to quit smoking, and when I do quit smoking, I certainly won't be on here belittling other's who do still smoke. What's the point? I mean really?

Christy

b*tch rocket
Just last night my 11 y/o daughter and I talked about another 11 y/o girl in her school kids didn't like to sit with on the bus....why?
Because she smelled like she SMOKED. Wonder why?

Add that to the list of about a million and one other reasons why 11 year old girls ostracize and are mean to each other. :jameo:

W

Wenchy

Add that to the list of about a million and one other reasons why 11 year old girls ostracize and are mean to each other. :jameo:

So true.

Start another thread about how mean we were to each other when we were 11 and on through high school.

You have a way with words and I don't.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Besides that I just like to smoke, another reason I'm not interested in quitting is because a lot of my friends smoke, and I'd hate to turn into some crazy smoke Nazi who's always whining. Granted, my non-smoking friends aren't pains in the azz about it, but just my luck I'd be the one who'd be all Felix Unger wheezing and making a nuisance of myself.

:ohwell:

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
Looking at the poll status at this point, it appears that it's 43-33 in favor of folks that smoke or don't care v. folks that think it's icky. :shrug:

CrashTest

It is still a personal choice. I quit for well over a year, then started again. I'll quit again when I feel like it. At this point, I really have no desire to quit smoking, and when I do quit smoking, I certainly won't be on here belittling other's who do still smoke. What's the point? I mean really?

Not belittling. Just pointing out that smokers stink and many probably don't realize to what degree. I didn't when I smoked.

Smokers stink and don't know it kinda the way French people don't know they have body odor.
:gossip:

SamSpade

Smokers stink and don't know it kinda the way French people don't know they have body odor.
:gossip:

And some are worse than others.

My best friend once tried to set me up with his sister in law. My number one reason for not following up was, I just couldn't stand to be near her, for the smell. Something about the smoke on her smelled like a smoky, foul diaper.

I used to work with a guy who smoked and reeked. I could tell he was coming down the hall from the odor. Mind you, I'm not particularly known for my acute sense of smell, but I was relieved when he retired.

I currently work with a woman who smokes horrificly, and the same thing is true - she's four pods away, and I can tell she's there most morning. In fact, I can usually tell where she's walked that morning. Actually, she's just arrived...

Now I have friends and family who smoke, and I never talk to them about it - it's their life, although it sounds awful to hear my big sister hack, wheeze and cough out little bits of blood in the morning. Mostly, I don't have much of a "beef" with smokers. It's their life, and if they want to, they can do what they like.

But they're in denial if they think they don't smell or the smell only bothers those who have hyper-sensitive olfactories. Some are worse than others, but it's like being around someone who drowns themselves in cologne, or who has atrocious foul breath or God help them, extremely flatulent but insist it "doesn't smell". It does. I don't say, hey, ease up on the cologne, try mouthwash or take a bath - it's not my business and it doesn't work.

However, if you ASK, I'm gonna say, hell yeah.

Vince

X smoker, but some of my closest friends smoke. I've never minded it. :shrug: To each his own and I have been known to have a cigarette when I've had a few :cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers: