Atkins Thread

willie

Originally posted by czygvtwkr
Read and understand the book before moving on. [/B]
READ THE BOOK!
It is an easy read and when you finish you will understand that the Atkins detractors either don't understand the written word or they just did not read the book before forming an opinion.

mainman

Set Trippin
Originally posted by meme
Has the Atkins diet actually worked for anyone on here? If so, how well did/does it work?
I have lost about 80 pounds on it.. I have not been following it for the last several months, but as of today.. I am back on it...

suzeQ

Occasional User
Originally posted by meme
Has the Atkins diet actually worked for anyone on here? If so, how well did/does it work? I was SERIOUSLY thinking about going on it after my little one comes.

Any suggestions or pointers starting the Atkins diet?

Thanks for any input!!!

Meme,

I started Atkins one week (and five pounds) ago, after hitting a plateau with another diet I had been on for several months. You can get all the information you need, including a good carb. counter, at atkins.com. It's an awesome, free site (unlike WW, which you have to pay to join to enjoy some features).

I love Atkins because it's eating-out-friendly. I can also have alcohol, although my favorite wine is going to collect dust for a while (high carbs). You might want to look at the carb counter now, to get some ideas. I was surprsied to find how many carbs in fruit and even some veggies (like carrots!).

Good luck.

SuzeQ

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Hi guys,
I started Atkins on June 14th and so far have lost 16 pounds. Now I do admit to cheating once or twice but it is working. I do not plan to do it for life, however I do plan to limit my carbs for life. Once I reach my goal weight I will re-introduce carbs slowly but for now I maintain only 20 carbs a day.

I am at a stopping point on the weight though. I can't seem to lose anymore and I am eating less than 5 carbs for the past week. I guess I just need to keep trying.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Originally posted by jeneisen
I am at a stopping point on the weight though. I can't seem to lose anymore and I am eating less than 5 carbs for the past week. I guess I just need to keep trying.

How about inches, are you tracking those? You could be losing inches even though you're stalled in the 'pounds' department.

Hot N Bothered

Hi guys,
I started Atkins on June 14th and so far have lost 16 pounds. Now I do admit to cheating once or twice but it is working. I do not plan to do it for life, however I do plan to limit my carbs for life. Once I reach my goal weight I will re-introduce carbs slowly but for now I maintain only 20 carbs a day.

Wow, only 5 carbs, I find that hard to believe. Maybe you are eating more than you think. I believe there's an article on the atkins site talking about how carbs may be sneaking into your diet without you realizing it. Maybe that's the real problem. Or maybe you need more fiber and are "retaining" more then you should (constipated?) Maybe instead of less carbs, maybe different ones would be better, like leafy greens that are higher in fiber. :shrug:

Hot N Bothered

Originally posted by PFgal
It's actually quite easy to eat only 5 carbs per day if you eat the right things.
I'm not saying it's impossible. There are just a lot of things I think people forget to count. Cheese, for example, contains carbs and a teaspoon of Splenda has .9 carbs, I think it is, but because it is less than one, they don't have to report it on the label.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Originally posted by Hot N Bothered
I'm not saying it's impossible. There are just a lot of things I think people forget to count. Cheese, for example, contains carbs and a teaspoon of Splenda has .9 carbs, I think it is, but because it is less than one, they don't have to report it on the label.

I got one for ya...how come making iced tea with 5 Splenda packets is about 5 carbs, but a soda made with Splenda says 0 carbs on the label. Wouldn't there be more than 1 packet of Splenda in a soda to sweeten it?? :confused:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
I got one for ya...how come making iced tea with 5 Splenda packets is about 5 carbs, but a soda made with Splenda says 0 carbs on the label. Wouldn't there be more than 1 packet of Splenda in a soda to sweeten it?? :confused:

Soft drink manufacturers use liquid Splenda, which has no carbs. The stuff in packets and bulk contains maltodextrin.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Originally posted by Sharon
Soft drink manufacturers use liquid Splenda, which has no carbs. The stuff in packets and bulk contains maltodextrin.

AAAAAAHhhhhhh...I see! Makes perfect sense! Thanks! :smoochy:

C

czygvtwkr

MMMMMMM

I just had some awesome pork. I bought a rack of ribs at Giant this weekend and a bottle of Tabasco Chipotle and put on it and put it in the oven for 45 minutes at 375. The ribs came out great, slightly crunchy on the outside tender inside and oh just the perfect combination of taste and heat. Went great with a butterhead lettuce salad and some roasted squash.

The Tabasco Chipltle has less than 1 carb per serving.

jeneisen

Indy Bound
How about inches, are you tracking those? You could be losing inches even though you're stalled in the 'pounds' department.

Yes I have lost about 3 inches all around. When I weighed in at curves they measure your total inches and I was at 10 inches from the previous month. I am definately losing but not as fast as I was.

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Originally posted by Hot N Bothered

Well you know you might be right but I have only been eating meat only. No cheese, salad, sweetners, etc. For dinner and lunch only a steak or chicken, or seafood. Its getting really old though. I can't imagine where the carbs are coming from but anything is possible.

I blew it last night and feel like crap for it too. But today is a new day and I will start all over. Now I have to get back into ketosis. I would like to lose another 20 by October 1, but we will see!!

ememdee19

Southern Beyotch
Well you know you might be right but I have only been eating meat only. No cheese, salad, sweetners, etc. For dinner and lunch only a steak or chicken, or seafood. Its getting really old though. I can't imagine where the carbs are coming from but anything is possible.

I blew it last night and feel like crap for it too. But today is a new day and I will start all over. Now I have to get back into ketosis. I would like to lose another 20 by October 1, but we will see!!

Jen,

Have you actually read the book? You may already know this, but Atkins clearly states that you should incorporate 3 cups of veggies per day into your diet. Not just any veggie either.

That may be where your problem lies, as your body has reached a plateau and it's obviously not healthy to just eat meat. Just a thought.

Also, are you taking vitamins?