Atkins Thread

Toxick

Splat
Originally posted by BuddyLee
I do not have a fat problem and probably never will.

Yeah, I remember when I used to say that.

I've been working out at the gym since I was about 16 years old. In my early 20's I spent the vast majority of my time trying to pack on the mass. I was a lean mean buff machine. I had cannonball-like deltoids, and about 7% body fat. I thought I would never have a problem keeping fat off. I was in good health, and I could shovel food down my yap 24-7 and my waist never went above 34.

And then I turned 30.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Originally posted by ememdee19
Are you implying that everyone on the Atkins diet has a "fat problem?" If that's the case, you're sorely mistaken. You obviously missed the part in the BLAtkins book where it clearly states that many choose this lifestyle for other medical reasons as well.

And speaking of facts, BL, where did you get yours from? If I remember correctly, you stated early on in the thread that these were your "personal information and preferences." Hence the argument that you should not be debating if that indeed is true.

While you may not have a "fat problem", you'll have others that'll contend w/ your health. :cheers:

If I remember correctly, you stated early on in the thread that these were your "personal information and preferences." Hence the argument that you should not be debating if that indeed is true.

Quote where I said anything of the such.

Are you implying that everyone on the Atkins diet has a "fat problem?" If that's the case, you're sorely mistaken. You obviously missed the part in the BLAtkins book where it clearly states that many choose this lifestyle for other medical reasons as well.

Never said anything about fatties being on the diet only.:bubble:

And speaking of facts, BL, where did you get yours from?
Obviosly, you and everyone else did not actually read the articles I presented.

While you may not have a "fat problem", you'll have others that'll contend w/ your health. :cheers:

Yes I will have health problems as everyone eventually does. However, I will find a diet that suits me more well than the unhealthy Atkins diet.

Last edited:

BuddyLee

Football addict
Originally posted by czygvtwkr
BL brings much professional discussion into this forum, after all he is a biochemist, ooops I ment a cardiologist, oops thats wrong too a nutritionalist, oh wait he bags groceries.

I need some advice about lasic eye surgery maybe I should go talk to my mailman........

What's funny is that you are neither of these things and you subject yourself to this unruly diet.

It matter not what I do. I could shovel sh*t and the facts would still be the same. Just because I am not a professional does not mean the facts are going to change for your benefit.

Use up your personal cheap shots. This merely shows you have no where else to meander and like most people you cannot admit that you are wrong.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Originally posted by PFgal
Your diet is unhealthy. Atkins is not.

Yes my diet is unhealthy. This is something I can admit. Can you prove without a doubt that the Atkins diet is healthy?

C

czygvtwkr

What's funny is that you are neither of these things and you subject yourself to this unruly diet.

It matter not what I do. I could shovel sh*t and the facts would still be the same. Just because I am not a professional does not mean the facts are going to change for your benefit.

Use up your personal cheap shots. This merely shows you have no where else to meander and like most people you cannot admit that you are wrong.

I never claimed to be, although I did have a biochemistry class in college.

Where did you get the "fact" that it is so unhealthy? There are just as many studies out there that say it isnt unhealthy as there are that say it is.

Two years ago I thought it was complete nonsense, carbs have nothing to do with weight loss. But I bought the book, read it and it made complete sense to me (I had quite a bit of chemistry in college I spent my first two years as a chemistry major). I also read some of the arguements against the Atkins diet and found the naysayers never laid down any evidence that eating a low carb diet is unhealthy, Dr Atkins however did scientificly sound studies and backed up what he had to say.

Low carb diets have been around since the 60's, if they were unhealthy you would think that there would be some long term data by now.

Calling you a grocery bagger had nothing to do with insulting you. It had to do with the fact that you are only following what someone else has to say without understanding what you are saying. In all of the things you have posted about Atkins being unhealthy I see no evidence, just other peoples opinions.

Unlike you I choose not to blindly follow someone elses word without seeing some scientific evidence.

willie

How much exercise do you all do? The Atkins book stresses the need for exercise but I get the impression a lot of people ignore that requirement.

ememdee19

Southern Beyotch
It's not. Again my personal information and preferences are not a factor in this debate over the ATKINS diet. I don't have the problem.:bubble:

There's your quote, BL.

ememdee19

Southern Beyotch
Quote where I said anything of the such.

Done. Quoted.

Never said anything about fatties being on the diet only.:bubble:

The statement was presented in the form of a question. However, most of your comments have implied that only fat people do Atkins. Maybe that's why you responded w/ your 'I've never had a fat problem' comment. :shrug:

Obviosly, you and everyone else did not actually read the articles I presented.

You're right, I haven't read the articles. I'll do that now. And while I'm doing that, maybe you should sit down with the book.

Yes I will have health problems as everyone eventually does. However, I will find a diet that suits me more well than the unhealthy Atkins diet.

Hi Pot, I'm Kettle. What's your point, BL? We're not debating health problems associated with age, etc., we're debating the fact that Atkins is actually healthy despite your "personal opinions" and lack of research.

ememdee19

Southern Beyotch

Garbage.

Did you happen to overlook this?...
Extreme "faddy" diets that cut out entire food groups were unbalanced, untested and could pose serious health problems, she warned.
They're wrong. Atkins doesn't cut out entire food groups, it minimizes them. The first phase reduces carbs, but each subsequent phase allows you to add carbs back into your diet.

On another note, Atkins doesn't seem "faddy" to me at all. It's been around for years and everywhere you go is catered to the low-carb lifestyle.

And how about this?...
"The reality of dieting is that you have to modify the behaviour that you have learned from being a baby, and that's extremely difficult," Dr Ogden said.

Ding, ding, ding! That's the whole point. It's a lifestyle change. Of course anybody will regain weight if they start adding unhealthy food back into their diet. Therefore, you may want to heed Toxick's warning. :cheers:

*BTW - that's low carb beer*

C

czygvtwkr

Ok this person obviously hasn't read the book either.

And she noted that the diet “is also low in fruits and vegetables and whole grains”-- foods with proven health benefits.

Here is what I have eaten today, and it is rather typical

Breakfast
1 large slice of red tomato
4 slices of cucumber
1/2 cup blueberries

Midmorning snack
2 celery stalks

Lunch
6 oz lean ham
1/2 cup steamed green beans
Salad containing Iceburg lettuce, red tomato, cucumber, red onion, and shreaded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup sugar free Orange Jello

After work snack
4 strawberries

And what I am going to eat for dinner an a couple hours
1 boneless/ skinless chicken breast marinated in tabasco Chipotle marinade
2 slices red tomato
1/2 cup raw brocolli
1/2 of a medium cucumber

Please tell me what is unhealthy about this diet? It sure seems to me like I eat plenty of vegatibles and it follows Atkins recomendations to the letter

C

czygvtwkr

'nuff said. :bubble:

My mood was never better than when I was on the diet last summer. As I increased carbs, even when I wasn't gaining back weight my mood and energy went south. I get back on the band wagon and my mood and energy goes up.

Oh yea it makes my gas go away too.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Ok this person obviously hasn't read the book either.

And she noted that the diet “is also low in fruits and vegetables and whole grains”-- foods with proven health benefits.

Here is what I have eaten today, and it is rather typical

Breakfast
1 large slice of red tomato
4 slices of cucumber
1/2 cup blueberries

Midmorning snack
2 celery stalks

Lunch
6 oz lean ham
1/2 cup steamed green beans
Salad containing Iceburg lettuce, red tomato, cucumber, red onion, and shreaded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup sugar free Orange Jello

After work snack
4 strawberries

And what I am going to eat for dinner an a couple hours
1 boneless/ skinless chicken breast marinated in tabasco Chipotle marinade
2 slices red tomato
1/2 cup raw brocolli
1/2 of a medium cucumber

Please tell me what is unhealthy about this diet? It sure seems to me like I eat plenty of vegatibles and it follows Atkins recomendations to the letter

Sounds yummy to me. :yum:

Tabasco Chipotle rocks! :banana: I wish I could buy it by the gallon.

C

czygvtwkr

Originally posted by Sharon

Yes it does, I have used it 4 times since I discovered it a week ago and need to buy more already.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Sharon
:yeahthat: We discovered it at Bear Creek a few months ago and it's great! :yum: They're having a tough time keeping it in stock, though. Very, very popular. :yay:

BTW - the deviled eggs I made had some in it.

BuddyLee

Football addict
There's your quote, BL.

And speaking of facts, BL, where did you get yours from? If I remember correctly, you stated early on in the thread that these were your "personal information and preferences." Hence the argument that you should not be debating if that indeed is true.

The facts I presented were not personal preferences. Check back and read a few of them before harping over nothing.:wink:

BuddyLee

Football addict

Where did you get the "fact" that it is so unhealthy? There are just as many studies out there that say it isnt unhealthy as there are that say it is.

Two years ago I thought it was complete nonsense, carbs have nothing to do with weight loss. But I bought the book, read it and it made complete sense to me (I had quite a bit of chemistry in college I spent my first two years as a chemistry major). I also read some of the arguements against the Atkins diet and found the naysayers never laid down any evidence that eating a low carb diet is unhealthy, Dr Atkins however did scientificly sound studies and backed up what he had to say.

Low carb diets have been around since the 60's, if they were unhealthy you would think that there would be some long term data by now.

Calling you a grocery bagger had nothing to do with insulting you. It had to do with the fact that you are only following what someone else has to say without understanding what you are saying. In all of the things you have posted about Atkins being unhealthy I see no evidence, just other peoples opinions.

Unlike you I choose not to blindly follow someone elses word without seeing some scientific evidence.

Neither did I but for some reason you seem to believe that.

Indeed there are just as many sites that claim it to be healthy than unhealthy, that just goes to show you that you cannot trust this diet.

Believe what you want and I'll do the same for my sake. I rather not be brainwashed by a popular book. The diet works significantly in the short term but has adverse effects in the long run.

You would think they should have some long term data especially in the book but where is it?

Calling me a grocery bagger was a cheap shot and you know it is. Just because I work in a grocery store does not mean I am bagging groceries not that there is anything wrong with those that do, whatever pays the bills I say.

I am following a number of credible sources whereas you are following a mere book and all the other bandwagoners.

I've done my research otherwise I would have left this debate a long time ago. Let's just hope you've done your research which I'm sure you have. I think we can agree to disagree on this subject.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Garbage.

Did you happen to overlook this?...

They're wrong. Atkins doesn't cut out entire food groups, it minimizes them. The first phase reduces carbs, but each subsequent phase allows you to add carbs back into your diet.

On another note, Atkins doesn't seem "faddy" to me at all. It's been around for years and everywhere you go is catered to the low-carb lifestyle.

And how about this?...

Ding, ding, ding! That's the whole point. It's a lifestyle change. Of course anybody will regain weight if they start adding unhealthy food back into their diet. Therefore, you may want to heed Toxick's warning. :cheers:

*BTW - that's low carb beer*

As I have said before believe what you want and I will do the same for my benefit. If you don't like the inkling of research that I have presented, do your own. You may be shocked with what you find if you do the research.:bubble: