Atkins Thread

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Yes I have read the book, and I usually do eat veggies but I have had a hard time getting into ketosis when I eat those things. What I have been doing is eating only meat until I reach ketosis then I incorporate salads, and brocolli, green beans, or califlouer, etc. I am taking a multi vitamin but do admit to skipping it from time to time. I think I just need to hang in there and give it more time. Its only been about 45 days since I started and I have lost 16 pounds so obviously its working but I have not lost any more weight in the past week or two. I am sure cheating last night didn't help either. :stupid:

I still feel hungry all the time though, now I just learn to be hungry. I never get full no matter how much meat I eat. I am a big fan of weight watchers but you don't receive the same results in the short period of time. The reason I am doing Atkins is b/c I am in a wedding in Oct and really want to slim down. Plus I had put on 10 pounds since my wedding in August and needed to lose that. I am starting to get a little discouraged b/c I miss variety and things like that but I am trying to hang in there!!

ememdee19

Southern Beyotch
Originally posted by jeneisen
Yes I have read the book, and I usually do eat veggies but I have had a hard time getting into ketosis when I eat those things. What I have been doing is eating only meat until I reach ketosis then I incorporate salads, and brocolli, green beans, or califlouer, etc. I am taking a multi vitamin but do admit to skipping it from time to time. I think I just need to hang in there and give it more time. Its only been about 45 days since I started and I have lost 16 pounds so obviously its working but I have not lost any more weight in the past week or two. I am sure cheating last night didn't help either. :stupid:

I still feel hungry all the time though, now I just learn to be hungry. I never get full no matter how much meat I eat. I am a big fan of weight watchers but you don't receive the same results in the short period of time. The reason I am doing Atkins is b/c I am in a wedding in Oct and really want to slim down. Plus I had put on 10 pounds since my wedding in August and needed to lose that. I am starting to get a little discouraged b/c I miss variety and things like that but I am trying to hang in there!!

Very strange that you're always hungry. When I follow Atkins properly, I never feel hungry.

How long does it take your body to reach ketosis? And, are you gauging the process w/ keto strips? Maybe you're drinking something w/ hidden carbs??? Dunno, really. :shrug:

As far as variety goes, there are tons of recipes on the net.

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Originally posted by ememdee19
Very strange that you're always hungry. When I follow Atkins properly, I never feel hungry.

How long does it take your body to reach ketosis? And, are you gauging the process w/ keto strips? Maybe you're drinking something w/ hidden carbs??? Dunno, really. :shrug:

As far as variety goes, there are tons of recipes on the net.

It usually takes me like 3-4 days to get into ketosis (using strips) when I eat 20 carbs a day like the book says. If I limit my carbs below that I can be in it like in 2 days. I think the reason I am always hungry is that I am not a big meat eater, so I struggle with that. I am living off of chicken breast, steak, and buffalo wings mostly. I just think my body isn't used to this diet yet and its just taking longer. I cheated last night so I had 2 pieces of bacon for breakfast, flavored water and wings for lunch with ranch. I am guessing thats no more than 8 carbs there. I am hoping to be in ketosis again by Thrusday but we will see!

BuddyLee

Football addict
Don't be a hypocrite, BL!:bonk:

How am I being a hypocrite? Do you fancy more quotes?

"Avoid fruits and nuts. You are what you eat." Garfield

"The toughest part about being on a diet is shutting up about it." Gerald Nachman

"It's ok to be fat. So you're fat. Just be fat and shut up about it." Roseanne Barr

"Come in, or we'll both starve."Sign in restaurant window

Hot N Bothered

It usually takes me like 3-4 days to get into ketosis (using strips) when I eat 20 carbs a day like the book says. If I limit my carbs below that I can be in it like in 2 days. I think the reason I am always hungry is that I am not a big meat eater, so I struggle with that. I am living off of chicken breast, steak, and buffalo wings mostly. I just think my body isn't used to this diet yet and its just taking longer. I cheated last night so I had 2 pieces of bacon for breakfast, flavored water and wings for lunch with ranch. I am guessing thats no more than 8 carbs there. I am hoping to be in ketosis again by Thrusday but we will see!
Wings w/ bbq sauce? there's your carbs. That sauce has tons.

You are probably hungry because you are eating NO veggies. Your body is going to punish you with hunger for denying it basic nutrients. If it keeps you hungry, you'll eventually give in. If you keep eating so far out of balance, your body will shut your metabolism down, making it harder and harder to lose. I suggest you go back to the book. Your weight loss will naturally slow down after the first couple of weeks. Read the chaper on plateaus and what to do about them.

Originally posted by mainman
Is it possible to make a peach or apple cobbler "atkins style" ? :confused:
Do a search on "Splenda recipes".... but I don't know how many carbs you plan on cutting for a dish that is built on carb filled fruits...:confused:

mainman

Set Trippin
Originally posted by kwillia
built on carb filled fruits...:confused:
I know, I was hoping someone would just say, "make the damn cobbler the way it is supposed to be made", thus to alleviate any guilt I may feel...:lol:

Originally posted by mainman
I know, I was hoping someone would just say, "make the damn cobbler the way it is supposed to be made", thus to alleviate any guilt I may feel...:lol:
Seriously, I'm thinking I saw a recipe on the back of the Big azzed Splenda bag... and I know that McKay's carries the canned fruit that is sweetened with Splenda... I used the Splenda sweetened apples to make apple crisp at Christmas and it was delish...:yum:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Hot N Bothered

Not secessarily. Tyson makes frozen BBQ hot wings that have one carb per serving. If you are using bottled sauce, then yes it adds more carbs because it probably contains high fructose corn syrup.

Jen's "cheating" is what's hurting her. If you cheat once a week you aren't doing Atkins. If you can't stop cheating, start counting those calories and weighing portion sizes. Keep a food diary. You'd be surprised how fast calories add up when you think you're doing Atkins but cheat here and there.

mainman

Set Trippin
Originally posted by kwillia
Seriously, I'm thinking I saw a recipe on the back of the Big azzed Splenda bag... and I know that McKay's carries the canned fruit that is sweetened with Splenda... I used the Splenda sweetened apples to make apple crisp at Christmas and it was delish...:yum:
Maybe I'll check into that, I wanted to use fresh peaches as they are in season.

Crap, I also want to fry some green tomatoes up... (not a good time to try to cut the carbs out) :ohwell:

ememdee19

Southern Beyotch
Originally posted by BuddyLee
How am I being a hypocrite? Do you fancy more quotes?

"Avoid fruits and nuts. You are what you eat." Garfield

"The toughest part about being on a diet is shutting up about it." Gerald Nachman

"It's ok to be fat. So you're fat. Just be fat and shut up about it." Roseanne Barr

"Come in, or we'll both starve."Sign in restaurant window

Here's what you wrote:

Most times no breakfast.

For lunch a steak and cheese sub, sandwich, or pizza mostly.

For dinner a large variety. Mostly italian dishes I suppose.

Few snacks here and there and a stop to the fast food joint every other day.

Then:
"Exercise daily. Eat wisely. Die anyway." Unknown

And then you posted the very first quote in this thread.

You are what you eat? That leads me to believe that you are one big fat clogged artery waiting to happen. You honestly cannot argue this point, as you have not done any research.

:loveyoulongtime::biggrin:

BuddyLee

Football addict
Here's what you wrote:

Then:

And then you posted the very first quote in this thread.

You are what you eat? That leads me to believe that you are one big fat clogged artery waiting to happen. You honestly cannot argue this point, as you have not done any research.

:loveyoulongtime::biggrin:

The quotes had little if any reference to my argument. They were just comical quotes that I enjoyed posting. My diet does not have anything to do with the unhealthy Atkins diet. Therefore the argument that I should not be in this subject is irrelevant. The facts still remain that people on the Atkins diet in the long run will suffer medically. I do not have a fat problem and probably never will.

ememdee19

Southern Beyotch
Originally posted by BuddyLee
The quotes had little if any reference to my argument. They were just comical quotes that I enjoyed posting. My diet does not have anything to do with the unhealthy Atkins diet. Therefore the argument that I should not be in this subject is irrelevant. The facts still remain that people on the Atkins diet in the long run will suffer medically. I do not have a fat problem and probably never will.

Are you implying that everyone on the Atkins diet has a "fat problem?" If that's the case, you're sorely mistaken. You obviously missed the part in the BLAtkins book where it clearly states that many choose this lifestyle for other medical reasons as well.

And speaking of facts, BL, where did you get yours from? If I remember correctly, you stated early on in the thread that these were your "personal information and preferences." Hence the argument that you should not be debating if that indeed is true.

While you may not have a "fat problem", you'll have others that'll contend w/ your health. :cheers:

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Originally posted by Hot N Bothered

You are probably hungry because you are eating NO veggies. Your body is going to punish you with hunger for denying it basic nutrients. If it keeps you hungry, you'll eventually give in. If you keep eating so far out of balance, your body will shut your metabolism down, making it harder and harder to lose. I suggest you go back to the book. Your weight loss will naturally slow down after the first couple of weeks. Read the chaper on plateaus and what to do about them.

Well I never eat the wings with the BBQ sauce, only the plain wings and I get the sauce on the side. I have found some frozen ones with 1 carb for 2 wings so its not so bad. I do think the cheating is hurting me though. So no more cheating from now on!!!

C

czygvtwkr

Are you implying that everyone on the Atkins diet has a "fat problem?" If that's the case, you're sorely mistaken. You obviously missed the part in the BLAtkins book where it clearly states that many choose this lifestyle for other medical reasons as well.

And speaking of facts, BL, where did you get yours from? If I remember correctly, you stated early on in the thread that these were your "personal information and preferences." Hence the argument that you should not be debating if that indeed is true.

While you may not have a "fat problem", you'll have others that'll contend w/ your health. :cheers:

BL brings much professional discussion into this forum, after all he is a biochemist, ooops I ment a cardiologist, oops thats wrong too a nutritionalist, oh wait he bags groceries.

I need some advice about lasic eye surgery maybe I should go talk to my mailman........

ememdee19

Southern Beyotch
Well I never eat the wings with the BBQ sauce, only the plain wings and I get the sauce on the side. I have found some frozen ones with 1 carb for 2 wings so its not so bad. I do think the cheating is hurting me though. So no more cheating from now on!!!

They have a recipe for some really good wings on the Atkins website. You should try it! :yum:

Another idea....Have you tried the Atkins shakes, etc.? Slim Fast makes them now, but I don't like those as much as I like the Atkins brand. You may wanna try that.