Bad economy

Xaquin44

Since it's not really close, whatever I saved on the cost of the meat, I'd make up for in gas. :shrug: If I'm in the area I'll grab something from them, but I won't go out of my way.

nah .... nicks is 20 miles away from me. I save gas costs in meat alone.

C

CalvertNewbie

I buy all my meats and deli stuff at Nick's of Clinton. :yay:

:yeahthat: But I go the the one in Prince Frederick. The only thing about them I don't like is that they don't have a lot of produce there because it's a small store.

Does anyone know if it is cheaper to buy produce at Giant/Safeway or to stop at one of the many farm stands I see on the side of the road? I eat a ton of veggies and that's what really raises our grocery bill. I haven't checked out any of the farm stands yet because I thought they may be more expensive.

foodcritic

Personally, I'm not feeling it. But the scuttlebutt is that the economy is so poor that people are desperate, and high gas prices are causing people to lose their homes.

So tell us your tale of woe. How has the economic downturn caused you to suffer?

:popcorn:

Seriously, all of you who insist that times are terrible and poverty is rampant because of Bush's policies, please share with us just how exactly you have been affected.

A year ago I left the commute of DC to work local. A lot less money but no commute and take home car. On one income with the price of food my wife has to do something to make ends meat. She stays at home with 4 kids. I have to work every minute of OT I can.

But really, If we had to listen to Hillary or Obama blame our condition on the EVIL forces of Bush or big business we would all be depressed and our country divided. HHMMMMM maybe that's their plan.

I don't blame our financial challenges on anyone but market forces. We survive on one income. We dont take vacations and we don't get out much. Still have a pool membership.

Have you driven by Brewster's Ice Cream lately.....Always packed.. It's OK but very expensive. I wish them success in this tight market, but I can't afford to go there. More like "what's on sale at McKays"

:nomoney:

SamSpade

Does anyone know if it is cheaper to buy produce at Giant/Safeway or to stop at one of the many farm stands I see on the side of the road? I eat a ton of veggies and that's what really raises our grocery bill. I haven't checked out any of the farm stands yet because I thought they may be more expensive.

I've almost never noticed a significant difference, and depending on the time of year, I'll see a sticker on the side of the produce indicating that, while it may be sold at a roadside stand, it still got shipped in from across the country. Whatever they seem to save on overhead, they typically pocket in added price.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Ok...

I don't blame our financial challenges on anyone but market forces. We survive on one income. We dont take vacations and we don't get out much. Still have a pool membership.

...but 'market' forces are profoundly influenced by government policy. Look at immigration control. Reduce the workforce by 10,000,000 or so and what happens?

One school of thought argues that the work doesn't get done. The other school of thought is that the work gets done just fine but at higher wages as supply and demand applies here. It's non sense to argue the work simply wouldn't exist. Labor is a big component of cost, especially in labor jobs like construction and so forth BUT a bad job done cheap is not a good job. A good job done more expensively is still a job well done.

Point being government is responsible for immigration policy. Too wage pressure on wages is not good for anyone.

SamSpade

:shrug:

Not for me. :shrug:

I buy generic stuff, make sure I buy it on sale, and it still costs about the same to go out. :shrug:

I just find that utterly impossible to believe. The very cheapest dinner at a restaurant I can think of runs at about 6 to 7 bucks. I've been making my lunches for the past two weeks on that amount. A *steak* on sale can be had for as little as 5 to 6 dollars a pound. You can't even come close to that price at a steak house.

For the price of about three or four Big Macs, I can buy enough ground beef to have a small cookout.

And I've used coupons and sales to get food FOR FREE. Never had that kind of luck at a restaurant.

I've done the math, and easily, when factored out, I can eat a good full meal at home for less than 3 bucks a person. Lunches and breakfast, even less. Can't even come close to that, eating out.

SamSpade

One school of thought argues that the work doesn't get done.

I've been reading about Arizona's guest worker program. Apparently, that's at the root of their problem - farmers neglect to produce crops on land if they don't think they can get enough workers in a timely manner. There's farmland that isn't getting used, because the labor supply isn't reliable enough to take the gamble.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
:yeahthat:

I've noticed that, too. But a lot of the chain restaurants and fast-food places are starting to lower their prices because they know that people will cut back on eating out and stuff. With food prices rising, they really are about the same.
Where are they lowering prices? I noticed some chain restaurant was advertising "smart portions" or something like that...1/3 the food for half the price. Last time I was in a fast food restaurant, they raised the prices as I was standing there. :doh:

sockgirl77

My parents bought a hog and half of a bull this past winter. The gave me a portion of the meat as a Christmas present. It was the most useful gift I got, other than the gas card they got me too. That's probably another reason I can survive.

Pete

Repete
My parents bought a hog and half of a bull this past winter. The gave me a portion of the meat as a Christmas present. It was the most useful gift I got, other than the gas card they got me too. That's probably another reason I can survive.

So it would be safe to say "You are high on the hog and full of bull."?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I guess...

I've been reading about Arizona's guest worker program. Apparently, that's at the root of their problem - farmers neglect to produce crops on land if they don't think they can get enough workers in a timely manner. There's farmland that isn't getting used, because the labor supply isn't reliable enough to take the gamble.

...farm fields in Arizona going fallow explains why the entire DC region, and many other metro areas, have become culturally transformed the last decade, huh?

If we were just talking about the traditional field hand, migrant worker part of the economy, well, we wouldn't be talking about it, would we?

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
Personally, I'm not feeling it. But the scuttlebutt is that the economy is so poor that people are desperate, and high gas prices are causing people to lose their homes.

I'm not feeling it either, haven't changed a thing. We just gripe about gas prices now but it's not something that would affect our standard of living or activities. Might consider a dinky commuter vehicle sometime in the future for hubby if the gas prices stay as high as they are now but no big rush.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
We haven't been affected at all, but I suspect that's because Dustin's been at sea. :lol: Since he's not commuting ~100 miles every day, all that money goes straight to savings. We have one less mouth to feed, so our grocery bill is considerably lower. We've always lived a very comfortable lifestyle within our means and I suspect if he were still at home we'd make the necessary changes to continue that lifestyle.

That being said, we'd been considering choosing orders somewhere else if only because his commute takes a toll on all of us. The rising cost of gas has almost sealed the deal.