Bad economy

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Go back and read my post. It's pretty clear what I said.

I said it costs me about the same to cook at home as it does to eat out. You said "Not us. We shop smart, buy stuff on sale, and don't buy name brand items".

K

kris31280

:nono:....you have been reported........:lol:

:buddies:
Why? He didn't say "bunch of (insert race/gender/sexual orientation) thieves" :shrug:

Unless it was that he was implying Waldorfians are thieves, and therefore THAT warrants a reporting of the post...

:lmao:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
We've cut back on going out - our "entertainment" fund is being siphoned off for other expenses.

I took a pay cut last year to work closer to home. I'm thankful I did. My car that cost $25 to fill up now costs me over $50 to fill up. So instead of $75 a week in gas it would be $150. I can't imagine still driving to DC.

I'm also cutting coupons. This is not something I ever did before. I watch for sales and combine my shopping trips so I don't have to be running up and down the road. It was nothing to me before to run out real quick to get something. I've stopped shopping over the internet because of delivery costs making it even more expensive.

I have started a veggie garden as well to assist in offsetting the cost of groceries. And of course I've been buying what I can in bulk.

The bills are being paid and nobody is starving. However, I truly think twice about buying anything and going anywhere. I also am a worrier. My biggest fear is that one or both of us loses our job. Right now that is a very scary thought. Before, we could have "made do", but now...:shrug:

jetmonkey

We've cut back on going out - our "entertainment" fund is being siphoned off for other expenses.

I took a pay cut last year to work closer to home. I'm thankful I did. My car that cost $25 to fill up now costs me over $50 to fill up. So instead of $75 a week in gas it would be $150. I can't imagine still driving to DC.

I'm also cutting coupons. This is not something I ever did before. I watch for sales and combine my shopping trips so I don't have to be running up and down the road. It was nothing to me before to run out real quick to get something. I've stopped shopping over the internet because of delivery costs making it even more expensive.

I have started a veggie garden as well to assist in offsetting the cost of groceries. And of course I've been buying what I can in bulk.

The bills are being paid and nobody is starving. However, I truly think twice about buying anything and going anywhere. I also am a worrier. My biggest fear is that one or both of us loses our job. Right now that is a very scary thought. Before, we could have "made do", but now...:shrug:
You made the dog get a job?

I'm thinking that's not the same diesel I'm talking about. You're paying the same as the gas stations, and if it's TRULY off road diesel it should be about 50%. That price looks like you are still paying all the taxes, the same as if you went to a station and bought it.

If heating oil is more than 1/2 of what diesel is at the station, I'd say we're being gouged.

$2.94 last I filled up.

Cowgirl

I'm thinking that's not the same diesel I'm talking about. You're paying the same as the gas stations, and if it's TRULY off road diesel it should be about 50%. That price looks like you are still paying all the taxes, the same as if you went to a station and bought it.

If heating oil is more than 1/2 of what diesel is at the station, I'd say we're being gouged.

Crap, I just missed this post.

There is a local station that sells off-road diesel out of the pumps. I just asked my coworker what the price was, so maybe he told me the regular diesel price. Either way, I know when we filled our tank this year, it was a little cheaper than heating oil, but not MUCH cheaper.

ETA: Nope...it's $4.39. I just called the station. That's the same price (from the pump) as getting it delivered.

Last edited:

AndyMarquisLIVE

Eating out less often? I'm not. I've noticed that it costs me just as much to cook in as it does to eat out. :ohwell:

:yeahthat:

I've noticed that, too. But a lot of the chain restaurants and fast-food places are starting to lower their prices because they know that people will cut back on eating out and stuff. With food prices rising, they really are about the same.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Well...

...how do you like your gouge?

42,000 gallons is about $3.86 right now. If I pay a tanker, 7,000 gallons, I'm looking at about $4.10 or so.

Bloomberg.com: Energy Prices

Christy

b*tch rocket
The economy is killing me. Just today I had to use a coupon at Lonestar. :yikes: I felt like everyone was staring at me and judging me. It was really awful. :bawl:

Cowgirl

:shrug:

Not for me. :shrug:

I buy generic stuff, make sure I buy it on sale, and it still costs about the same to go out. :shrug:

:shrug: Not for us. But we're a family. Still, when I was single I didnt' even eat out that much. When you factor in tip and all that, it was more expensive. Besides, I'd rather know what's going in my food. :shrug:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I buy generic stuff

See, this is where we probably differ. I don't buy generic because I don't buy "that stuff". I mostly shop the outside isle of the store...meat, dairy, produce, because that's what I eat. I rarely eat cereal, bread, "boxed" stuff, pasta, or anything like that. To use a coupon would pretty much mean buying something I wouldn't typically purchase.

AndyMarquisLIVE

See, this is where we probably differ. I don't buy generic because I don't buy "that stuff". I mostly shop the outside isle of the store...meat, dairy, produce, because that's what I eat. I rarely eat cereal, bread, "boxed" stuff, pasta, or anything like that. To use a coupon would pretty much mean buying something I wouldn't typically purchase.

I buy all my meats and deli stuff at Nick's of Clinton. :yay: