Banning Pitbulls

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Rose Red,

I think she was talking to me and what I did was copy and paste her remarks into the post.  So who is really ignorant?

Ciara,

Look amoeba brain, I own one of those dogs that people have preconceptions about, said so in these posts, and I am also against the ban.  The fact that you are too stupid to figure out who posted what says a lot about your mentality or the lack there of.  The fact that you didn't realize that it was your words I posted shows that even more.  You said you didn't want opinions and I provided you with facts and now you don't want that either.  What's your point then, you just want to rant and talk about how people can't spell.  Well back up little missy as your posts are some with the most grammatical errors I have ever seen.  If you want to make a contest about that I am sure you will spiral down in flames real quick.  Not all of us are as dumb as your writing appears to show you to be.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Thanks Ken, but I did spell it wrong , shame on me.  :wink:  To bad we don't have a spell check option.  (or have I missed it???)

Ciara - if you really want to get technical, please check your second post and your spelling of the word too, it is also spelled incorrect.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I think Ciara is referring to me, since I was the one who called pitbulls skulking cowards.  And I stand by that description, regardless of whether she likes it or not.

First of all, this isn't the spell-checker chat room.  Second of all, I don't think I need to own a pitbull to have an opinion, especially since I've had friends with pitbulls and can actually read the statistics that Ciara says we should ignore.  If Ciara thinks she knows more about national dog bite statistics than the Centers for Disease Control, that's fine.  But I think that proves who's the ignorant one.

Ken King

PREMO Member
Rose Red,

I could care less about how someone spells as I can usually figure out what they are talking about.  It isn't important until they make an issue of it like this person did (substitute any one of several words for person).  They jump in, talk crap, point out other's errors, and don't understand that facts are facts.  What a glimpse at their true character.

P.S.  -  For spell checking you can always cut and paste to a word processing program check it out and then place it in the posting box.   I do that a lot with some of my longer posts.

(Edited by Ken King at 4:16 pm on Feb. 4, 2002)

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I completely agree with you Ken, she just shows up spewing hate and discontent and when she was called on it she points out others spelling errors, therefore, changing the subject... whatever.  

I too could care less if someone is a bad speller as long as I can understand what they are trying to say and see their point.

I wonder if we will get and explaination to our questions...

I have done the cut and paste thing before too, thanks for the suggestion!

Cowgirl

Caira, if you would slow down and take your butt off your shoulders, you would see that you yourself misspelled the word ignorant.  You have no right to jump on others for spelling errors if you make them also.  You can't attack people for what they say in here. :nono:  All of these postings resemble others' opinions.  We all have the right to voice our opinions without getting attacked by someone else.  One might even say you are acting like a pitbull!  :eek:   I work in one of those big pet warehouse stores, and the other day, while I was working the register, I noticed 2 incidents.  A lady was standing near the pet tag machine, making a tag for her puppy.  The puppy was adorable.  It was a 12 week old (approx.) pit bull puppy.  A man walked by with his yellow lab (full grown) and the puppy growled, barked, and lunged at the dog.  So, what does the lady do?  She turns around and kicks the puppy.  Well, here's the perfect example of an aggressive dog and an awful owner.  So, about an hour later, a man walks through my line with a huge dog.  The dog is a Cane Corso (aka Italian Mastiff). I like to refer to them as hell in a dog's body.  These are very large dogs.  The breed standard for males sets a weight minimum at 100 lbs. and females at 80lbs.  So, this man walks his dog up to the counter.  While I am ringing up his sale, a little girl walks by and the dog lunges at her.  This is a very large dog, and his owner (a big guy) can hardly hold the leash.  The dog gets inches from the little girl.  The girl's mom looks at the guy like he's nuts, and the guy does not say a word!  No "I'm sorry" or anything!  Minutes later a dog walks by and the Cane Corso lunges at the dog!  The man does not even blink...like it's normal for a dog to lunge at every little thing.:scowl:   Another perfect example of a bad dog and bad owner.  It is because of people like the examples that make others want to ban those types of breeds.  

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Good examples Cowgirl.  People shouldn't take their dogs into the store like that if they can't control them, it could have been a disaster.

Now if my dog ever got loose in one of those warehouse pet stores he'd think he's in heaven, head straight for the squeeky ball section and then dive into the pig's ear bin, and I'd never get him to leave. :)

alex

Cowgirl you are so right about owners. We own a bloodhound who is normally the most docile of animals.  However, we know that if he is around males dogs his size or in large crowds he can get somewhat agressive.  So we don't let him near large dogs at all and if we need to be near large crowds we keep in on a very short lead and watch him the whole time to prevent any outbursts.

As for where you work I agree with Sharon, if he ever got loose in there I would never be able to get him out.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Good thing I didn't see that woman kick her puppy - I might have kicked <i>her</i>!  I hate it when people are mean to animals.

Scottie

Just visited this site today, and was reading all the replies stated about these "dog" issues!  Man...what a mess?  I can see that people have valid points, issues, and strong feelings about it!  I was reading some of the posts regarding this Ciara person, and I think people are being a little too tough on him/her.  Gratned, some things that they might have said have upset people, but as you all say everyone is entitled to their own opinions.  The "spell-check" was not necessary, but at least give them a chance. They obviously have a strong passion for animals, but they are going about their justifications at a bad angle.  And this is just my opinion!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Scottie, as you can plainly see, we are passionate about animals in here!  Also, we get irritated when someone starts cranking about misspellings and typos - has nothing to do with the topic at hand and is mere nitpicking.  Ciara is certainly entitled to her opinion but if her "opinion" is that we're ignorant, she can't be surprised when we get offended and jump back at her.

(Edited by vraiblonde at 10:59 am on Feb. 5, 2002)

Ken King

PREMO Member
Scottie,

It's fine that people express opinions, after all that is what we all are doing.  But, when you come in firing away at people and then ridicule them because of a spelling error and you yourself have erred expect the heat.  That is what Ciara did and if that is how they want to communicate they can expect more of the same.  I am tired of being nice to idiots.

Scottie

Ken King & vrailblonde---

Oh don't get me wrong I totally agree w/you...:yay:  Ciara did "start off" on the wrong foot, and I believe anger got the best of him/her!   And the spelling errors/typos was extremely childish :baby: So hopefully they will try and redeem themselves.

In any event, I am kind of  puzzled as to how I really feel about this topic?  There are some many different aspects that you can approach it from.  But I do feel strongly in stating that you must be a responsible person when it comes to any kind of animal whether it be a dog or not, and you must take the proper precautions w/any type of breed especially if you are already aware of the fact that society labels that breed as an attacker or being aggressive.  But on the other hand, I still look at the other side (putting myself in the shoes of the owner).  If you have an extremely responsible owner, who's animal is registered, kept in a fenced in yard, always restrained by a leash when off of your property, has no "record" of being a vicious dog w/any authorities, what are proper actions taken from situations below?  If someone were tresspassing (breaking & entering), attempting to harm a family, or even if it unfortunately ended up being a small child tormenting the animal through a gate or fence or throwing rocks & sticks, in return this caused  the dog to become distraut and react, how do you deal w/any of those issues?  It's a very difficult topic!!! :confused:
Guess that's why the voting is so close :)

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I think that's the problem most of us are having with this issue.  "Ban" might be too harsh.  Plus there are responsible pet owners out there who could have a mountain lion without incident.

Which brings me to another facet of this quesiton:  Who gets to decide what is a dangerous animal and what is the criteria?  For instance, you can't keep a cougar in your home as a pet, no matter how tame you think it is.  Why not?  Do cougars kill/injure more humans each year than dogs?  Why can you have a pitbull but not a Grizzly bear?  Do Grizzlies cause more human harm than dogs?

And do we have a right to ban someone from keeping a tiger as a pet?  What if they keep it fenced in?

Something to think about...

Ciara

WOW...thanks Scottie!  I appreciate what you said earlier :notworthy: Yeah Yeah I may have opened my big mouth a bit much :eek: , but no one is perfect!  And I guess the major reason I acted so "irritated"  to begin w/was out of defense for my own animal!  Which I am sure you can somewhat understand where I am coming from since you tried placing your feet in the shoes of an owner and expressed lots of valid points :)
But again I was warned by SxyPrincess to "hold on to my panties!"  And after I began to see how angry people became, I took into consideration a very valid point that was made by her....when she said she "didn't feel the need to justify the actions of her animals to suit other people!"  And so I got started off on the wrong foot, my bad :bawl:, but thanks again for your support!

Scottie

Lunchtime  :dance:  Oh, you're welcome Ciara, but do know that is the last time I will stick up for you, you're on your own, so be nice to people and not so hateful :nono:  Oh I most definitely agree w/you....what a great point!  Why aren't people allowed to own a pet Tiger/Cougar?  We don't ever hear about those animals in the news attacking and killing humans (since you can't own them as pets it would be hard too), and the attacks could very well be similar as that of a dogs.  I do think a ban is a little harsh...totally agree w/you, and I don't even have a dog  :)  I haven't the slightest clue as to who would determine the criteria either?  But it also raises question in my mind as well?  Kind of new to area, has this issue on dogs been a very large one in MD for a longtime?  Has something recently happened for someone to post such a survey?  Just curious  :confused:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Vrai -

I agree that "ban" is to strong of a term and who does have the right to decide what breed of dog meets a particular "banning" criteria.  All dogs have teeth, therefore, they all have the potential to bite.  

But so does my cat.  Should she be banned because she is part Siamese and has teeth, nope.  I hope that most would agree....  ;-)

You mention tigers, I read in the news last week of a woman somewhere in Flordia helping paint a large cage-like enclosure that I tiger was kept in.  She was mauled by the tiger and in the hospital with severe with skull fractures.  The story mentioned that the owner had all the proper permits to keep wild animals.  

Should tigers be banned?  I don't think so, but... I do believe that whomever chooses to keep one should live way out in the middle of nowhere.  I love tigers, but I certainly would not want one living in my neighborhood.

I think a ban on any animal is a bit harsh, it opens a huge can of worms.....

Scottie,

I'm not sure about Charles Co. but in Prince Georges's Co. pitbulls, american staffordshire terriers and staffordshire bull terriers have been banned since 1997.  The only way you can keep your dog is if it was born and registered before 1997.

Kara~

Scottie

Tigers?  Yes they are beautiful animals, and I'm sure they can be trained to obtain an acceptale disposition as in a zoo, or a circus (which they have attacked there as well), but I just don't think that they are a type of animal that is meant to be a pet!  Their way of nature and life is not to be caged up in someone's back yard in Florida, then again who says that a cat or dogs way of life is suppose to be that way either?  :confused:  Owning animals of that nature brings up a whole new topic for discussion!  But I have to agree w/RoseRed, I don't think I would feel 100% comfortable w/a tiger living in my neighborhood :ohwell:

Well I don't live in Charles Co., I live in St.Mary's Co., and I have only been here for a couple of months, but as far as I know there is no ban on any type of dog here?  I know there are leash and registration laws.  What were the reasons for banning those dogs in Prince George's Co.? I have never really heard of terriers being in the news?  But if a law were to be passed on Pitbulls (opens huge can of worms Vria) what about the Dobes, German Shephards, and Rottweilers?  They too have been "known" for their unfriendliness  :boo:  

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
That is my point about any banning being a big can 'o worms.  I too have a German Shepard and she has never done anything remotely dangerous and she has the best disposition.  I would hate to be told that I could never have one again, just because someone chooses to ban that breed.  

Another case of, one bad apple spoils the whole barrel.....