Child abuse with movies...

Geek said:
I have control issues no doubt. Most come from what I consider to be the most important job of my life, being a parent.
See... that's the most important job in my life as well. I am bound and determined to bring up respectable, responsible, compassionate children who can function in an f'd up, conviluted society. In order to do this... I must ensure they are not to sheltered to how the real world works. I watch shows such as dateline nbc with my 13 year old when they cover things such as "police entrapment", "peer pressure", "child preditors", etc. and we discuss these things. This means he is also allowed to watch some movies that may have some adult themes and violence because he needs to understand that though he is a good natured, "lawful good" person... not all people are like that. I want him to know there are bad and evil people in this world.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Geek said:
I have control issues no doubt. Most come from what I consider to be the most important job of my life, being a parent. Next up is wife and third, teacher. I worked in a home for abused emotionally disturbed kids. I also had to deal with the parents. Parents that had pimped out their kids to support their drug habits. The courts work really hard to keep biological parents with their kids no matter what. I am not sheltered. I believe kids should not watch adult movies. They can see all the adult movies when they get older. Go out and play with them instead. Have a game night. Talk to each other. Don't watch people killing people. Find another way to bond.

Well aren't you special. :ohwell: :jameo:

Pandora

kwillia said:
See... that's the most important job in my life as well. I am bound and determined to bring up respectable, responsible, compassionate children who can function in an f'd up, conviluted society. In order to do this... I must ensure they are not to sheltered to how the real world works. I watch shows such as dateline nbc with my 13 year old when they cover things such as "police entrapment", "peer pressure", "child preditors", etc. and we discuss these things. This means he is also allowed to watch some movies that may have some adult themes and violence because he needs to understand that though he is a good natured, "lawful good" person... not all people are like that. I want him to know there are bad and evil people in this world.

:clap:

Somdmommy

:Jeepin' in NC:
Kids need to learn life skills. They need us to teach them.

That means spending time with them, teaching them to eat right and go outside. It also means letting them watch things like dateline (kwillia :yay: ) So they can see how the world works.

Younger kids should watch scary movies, so they know that monsters are not real, and they should not be scared!

Pandora said:
I am also teaching him things such as "guilt by association", "life is not fair, even if you follow all the rules, but that doesn't give you a right to break the rules", "sometimes people who are authority figures are not good people, you must respect them, but you can't always trust them", "if you chose to put yourself in a bad situation and something bad happens to you, you have to take fault for your bad choice", "some people look and sound all big and bad and are all talk and no action, some people look and sound all big and bad and will actually whoop your azz if they feel like it"... you know... stuff like that...:shrug:

Geek

Somdmommy said:
Younger kids should watch scary movies, so they know that monsters are not real, and they should not be scared!

That is just wrong. You can not honestly believe that.

Somdmommy

kwillia said:
I am also teaching him things such as "guilt by association", "life is not fair, even if you follow all the rules, but that doesn't give you a right to break the rules", "sometimes people who are authority figures are not good people, you must respect them, but you can't always trust them", "if you chose to put yourself in a bad situation and something bad happens to you, you have to take fault for your bad choice", "some people look and sound all big and bad and are all talk and no action, some people look and sound all big and bad and will actually whoop your azz if they feel like it"... you know... stuff like that...:shrug:
:cheers:
:yay:

Last edited:

Pandora

kwillia said:

Very good! :yay:

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Geek said:
Showing kids scary movies does not help them grow up. Give them a job to do, make them be respectful. Do not lie for them. Let them feel the consequences of their actions. Encourage them to save money. Lead by example. Plopping kids in front of a violent movie and video game does not make them an adult any earlier. It just scares them or scars them.
And I say, make them sweep the street so it is not dangerous for us bikers. TYVM :huggy:

Geek

kwillia said:

That is great. Nothing you have posted suggests you would have shown your son Elm Street when he was 7.

Somdmommy

Geek said:
That is great. Nothing you have posted suggests you would have shown your son Elm Street when he was 7.
My parents let me watch it at 5 maybe!! Cant remember how old I was!

So does that make them bad parents? Did they abuse me?

Geek

Somdmommy said:

It made you more likely to show this type of movie to your child...It seem like a cycle to me.

Pandora

Geek said:

Like I said Geek, raise your children your way and I'll raise mine my way. :lmao:

I live with the child and I'm well aware of what he can and cannot handle. He outgrew Bambi when he was 2-3.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Somdmommy said:

Based on how you turned out, do you really want to know the answer?

Somdmommy

Geek said:
It made you more likely to show this type of movie to your child...It seem like a cycle to me.
I loved it, like I said I had a huge poster of Freddy above my bed when I was a child. It was very rare that I had a nightmare.

I wont make my son watch it, but if he wants to I will let him.