Child abuse with movies...

Christy

b*tch rocket
Has anyone ever considered that having one's head shoved so far up your child's behind, might just be detrimental to their growth? :confused:

Take for instance my parents. They had one simple rule. "Don't embarrass the family". That was it, and it was simple to understand (can't say I always followed it) BUT, it pretty much covered any stupid thing I could do to get myself in trouble. Miraculously, I did not require their monitoring of every nitnoid aspect of my life. I can't remember EVER having "family night" or my mom screening my tv viewing. I was always up way later than they were, so it was never really monitored. :shrug: I managed to survive my childhood and grow up to be a reasonably successful adult. :diva: (My mamma just told me last week how proud she is of me.) :biggrin:

On the converse, you have my cousins (and there are many). All of who had doting parents, all of who were "friends" with their kids. All of whom read all the parenting books, and listened to all the advice on how to be good to their children :blahblah:. Guess what, NONE have grown up to be successful. ALL are still corded to their mother's and can't survive without parental assistance for EVERY aspect of their lives. Half are on drugs, the other half are just plain lazy.

So you see, all this nicey nice coddling of our kids, may sound like the right thing, but I'll stick with how my mom and dad raised me. Seems to have worked. :yay:

Geek

Somdmommy said:
I loved it, like I said I had a huge poster of Freddy above my bed when I was a child. It was very rare that I had a nightmare.

I wont make my son watch it, but if he wants to I will let him.

Aren't you a big smoker too? Do you light up one for him?

Somdmommy

:Jeepin' in NC:
MMDad said:
Based on how you turned out, do you really want to know the answer?
Please give me a break, you dont know me. All you know is how I talk on here, and that does not mean a thing.

I would want my child to watch scary movies with me, before going somewhere else and doing it.

Geek said:
That is great. Nothing you have posted suggests you would have shown your son Elm Street when he was 7.
Nope. My 13 year old still isn't allowed to watch those kind of movies. As for violent video games... he rarely choses to sit in front of the T.V. to play games, however, he does on occasion. A couple years back he came home from a friends house all excited over playing "Grand Theft Auto III". He said it was a blast and he was putting that on his birthday/Christmas list. I explained to him that I do not condone games that chose to use maiming and killing as entertainment so he can scratch that game off his list. By handling it this way, I gave him the freedom to "expand his horizons" because I must accept his exposure to such movies and games and respect that his world is bigger than what I can control. However, I also established a boundary that represents what I deem acceptable/not acceptable and he respects that. Here it is over two years later and he never pushed the issue and doesn't own any "mature" rated games. :shrug:

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Geek said:
Little boy is on his way with broom... :huggy:
Are you guys really the ones responsible for that? If so, thanks. You think the property owner would get a clue, but no. We have noticed the gravel not being there. Are you doing that daily or what?? TYVM if you are.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Somdmommy said:
Please give me a break, you dont know me. All you know is how I talk on here, and that does not mean a thing.

I would want my child to watch scary movies with me, before going somewhere else and doing it.
I'll assume you aren't lying to us, even though you probably are. Based on your own posts, you are extremely promiscuous. I don't have a problem with that until you start to get holier than thou.

Don't brag about your swinging, then brag about how moral you are. The two just don't jive.

Somdmommy

Geek said:
No, I dont. What kind of question is that?

My parents smoke, my grandfather died of cancer. I made the choice to smoke on my own. I never took cigarettes from my parents, and I didnt steal money from them to get them.

I made mistakes in my teen years, all which I have learned from.

Scary movies and all that had nothing to do with the way I turned out.

Geek

Christy said:
Has anyone ever considered that having one's head shoved so far up your child's behind, might just be detrimental to their growth? :confused:

Take for instance my parents. They had one simple rule. "Don't embarrass the family". That was it, and it was simple to understand (can't say I always followed it) BUT, it pretty much covered any stupid thing I could do to get myself in trouble. Miraculously, I did not require their monitoring of every nitnoid aspect of my life. I can't remember EVER having "family night" or my mom screening my tv viewing. I was always up way later than they were, so it was never really monitored. :shrug: I managed to survive my childhood and grow up to be a reasonably successful adult. :diva: (My mamma just told me last week how proud she is of me.) :biggrin:

On the converse, you have my cousins (and there are many). All of who had doting parents, all of who were "friends" with their kids. All of whom read all the parenting books, and listened to all the advice on how to be good to their children :blahblah:. Guess what, NONE have grown up to be successful. ALL are still corded to their mother's and can't survive without parental assistance for EVERY aspect of their lives. Half are on drugs, the other half are just plain lazy.

So you see, all this nicey nice coddling of our kids, may sound like the right thing, but I'll stick with how my mom and dad raised me. Seems to have worked. :yay:

I think you need to have a bigger data pool.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Geek said:
I just went down and blew smoke in my 2 year old's face before I parked him in front of Debbie Does Dallas.

:cool: :banana:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Somdmommy said:
No, I dont. What kind of question is that?
Okay, I can't take this anymore.

YOU, miss, need to be less defensive and have a little more fun. You just don't seem to be enjoying these threads the way I feel you should.

Somdmommy

MMDad said:
I'll assume you aren't lying to us, even though you probably are. Based on your own posts, you are extremely promiscuous. I don't have a problem with that until you start to get holier than thou.

Don't brag about your swinging, then brag about how moral you are. The two just don't jive.

Now, I made one comment about the swinging, and that was in reply to someones question about if I think my husband is cheating on me because of his working hours.

That is not bragging, thats answering a question. Its not on my profile, its not on my siggys.

:howdy:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
kwillia said:
Allllllllll.... you are raising the Future Jeepers of America
Yeah buddy :yay: He just asked me if he could have a beer but I thought that was too much. I gave him a shot of Wild Turkey instead. He's been having trouble sleeping lately.

Geek

vraiblonde said:
I just went down and blew smoke in my 2 year old's face before I parked him in front of Debbie Does Dallas.

:cool: :banana:

I know vrai, you taught me that smoke and vitamins are one in the same in many previous threads. :huggy:

Somdmommy

vraiblonde said:
Okay, I can't take this anymore.

YOU, miss, need to be less defensive and have a little more fun. You just don't seem to be enjoying these threads the way I feel you should.
I do enjoy them I just wanted to know what kind of question was that? No I dont light up one for my son!! :howdy:

MMDad

Lem Putt
Somdmommy said:
Now, I made one comment about the swinging, and that was in reply to someones question about if I think my husband is cheating on me because of his working hours.

That is not bragging, thats answering a question. Its not on my profile, its not on my siggys.

:howdy:
You talked about it much more than once as a different MPD. Please be honest. If you are caught in too many lies..... :whistle:

Christy

b*tch rocket
Geek said:
I think you need to have a bigger data pool.

I have a very large data pool, I see what's coming out of college today, unfortunately, we all have to work with them. :ohwell: :

I wonder how I'd have fit in to your classroom as a kid? I should scan in and post a Halloween story I wrote in 3rd grade. Was sent home with the note "Christy has excellent writing skills, but it was a bit graphic". I talked of cutting off heads, pulling out intestines, the whole lot. At that time, I don't think I'd ever been exposed to any real horror movies. It all came out of my very vivid imagination. You'd have more than likely called social services and tried to have my parents arrested. :jameo:

Incidentally, that went down under the rule of "Don't embarrass the family" so my parents weren't pleased. :ohwell:

I wish people would just leave kids alone and let them be kids, let them make mistakes and be stupid. I'm not going to kirk out if my kid catches a scary movie on the tv.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Geek said:
I know vrai, you taught me that smoke and vitamins are one in the same in many previous threads.
Don't say I never gave you nothin'. :yay:

Did you know that Nacho Cheese Doritos and french onion dip are a complete and balanced meal? It's true! My kids have eaten nothing but and are healthy as hogs.

Well, okay, I give them a fruit rollup every now and again with their nightly shot of Turkey.

Somdmommy

MMDad said:
You talked about it much more than once as a different MPD. Please be honest. If you are caught in too many lies..... :whistle:

Hmmm, And where might I find those?

I only remember that once, but hard to say really. Still I know for sure that I was not bragging, its not really something I would brag about!

You could be thinking of Dowhats post, he brings it up sometimes? :coffee: