Child neglect?

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I agree with this law, only I'd change it to 10 years old and for under a certain amount of time. I, personally, do not think that any 8 year old needs to be left alone.
That's you.

My 8yo was ok by himself for under an hr when I ran to the store.
:shrug:

sockgirl77

That's you.

My 8yo was ok by himself for under an hr when I ran to the store.
:shrug:

I am sure that mine would be too, but I would not leave him by himself. There's no reason why he cannot go to the store with me.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Yup, gotta love concerned citizens- I had half of St Mary's Sheriff’s Dept. responding to my house Friday evening for teens with guns. The kids were over for a birthday party and playing Airsoft on my property with all safety gear on and orange tipped guns. After the initial "put the guns down" command scaring them and the "all clear" given it was pretty comical. The 14yr old is now a legend at school for the police crashing his party.

Well chit..

Now they are going to make airsoft guns illegal.. and anything that looks like a gun..

Actually surprised you weren't arrested for reckless endangerment or some such crap.

Which one of your neighbors is the window licker??

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
There's no reason why he cannot go to the store with me.

Sure there is. At some point we're supposed to teach our children independence and that's how it used to start: leaving them alone for brief periods of time, if that goes well leave them for longer periods, give them responsibilities, then by the time they graduate high school they're ready to go off to college or get a job and their own apartment.

I think people get wrapped around the axle about kids and forget that they're actually supposed to be training them to be adults.

I think I posted this before, but it's worth posting again - my brilliant Proposal Essay:

Attachments

• Proposal Essay.pdf
    124.4 KB · Views: 181

sockgirl77

Sure there is. At some point we're supposed to teach our children independence and that's how it used to start: leaving them alone for brief periods of time, if that goes well leave them for longer periods, give them responsibilities, then by the time they graduate high school they're ready to go off to college or get a job and their own apartment.

I think people get wrapped around the axle about kids and forget that they're actually supposed to be training them to be adults.

I think I posted this before, but it's worth posting again - my brilliant Proposal Essay:

I was not left alone at 8 years old. I agree, kids should learn independence. I do not agree with that lesson being taught at 8 years old though.

KDENISE977

I know. It's really pointless. If people want to leave their kids alone then that's their pain to carry should something happen to them. :shrug:

Pain,just trying to prove a point that back in the 50's it was okay and everything is the same now lazy azz stupidity. End of rant :buddies:

MMDad

Lem Putt
I was not left alone at 8 years old. I agree, kids should learn independence. I do not agree with that lesson being taught at 8 years old though.

The 8 YO isn't the issue, the 2 YO is. The 2 YO should not be left alone. Leaving the 2 YO in the care of someone who is not capable of caring for them is no different than leaving them alone.

Is anyone saying it should be okay to leave a 2 YO alone in a car while shopping? Not two minutes to pay for gas, but long enough for someone to notice, call cops, the cops show up, and still no parent?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I was not left alone at 8 years old.

That's because you're 15 or so years younger than me and a product of a different generation. Not only was I left alone at age 8, but most of my friends were as well, and nobody thought a thing of it. We were a lot more mature then because we were encouraged to be.

When my mom was a kid, she babysat her siblings at age 8. My uncle worked on the grandparents' farm at that age, driving the tractor and other tasks. When I was 3 I was tasked with feeding chickens unsupervised and expected to do it properly. Back then you could tell a 3 year old to take the pan, scatter the feed quickly, don't let the chickens get you, and they would do it.

At the rate we're going, my grandson's kids will be living in plastic bubbles, rolling around like hamsters.

sockgirl77

That's because you're 15 or so years younger than me and a product of a different generation. Not only was I left alone at age 8, but most of my friends were as well, and nobody thought a thing of it. We were a lot more mature then because we were encouraged to be.

When my mom was a kid, she babysat her siblings at age 8. My uncle worked on the grandparents' farm at that age, driving the tractor and other tasks. When I was 3 I was tasked with feeding chickens unsupervised and expected to do it properly. Back then you could tell a 3 year old to take the pan, scatter the feed quickly, don't let the chickens get you, and they would do it.

At the rate we're going, my grandson's kids will be living in plastic bubbles, rolling around like hamsters.

My mother was raised on a farm and the kids were never supervised. There were also only 3 cars in the local market parking lot. They stayed at home without adult supervision because nobody was stupid enough to come onto their property. Not only did the damn peacocks chase you off of the land, but the dogs did as well. You cannot compare the crime rate from that era to that of ours. This point has been made over and over again in this thread. I still cannot figure out why it is so hard to understand that.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
By 8 I was already a latchkey kid (morning and evening), made my lunch everyday, had chores around the house that I was not paid for, made my fathers lunch everyday, prepped dinner for my mom when she got home and all while doing well in school and in my extra curriculars.

I am not special in any way :shrug: But my parents were working hard to give me a good life and I was expected to contribute to the household and obey them. I went away to college at 17, worked my way through it, had my own place my senior year and have covered my own bills 100% since then. They werent mean, they werent neglectful and I have everything to show for them doing that. I own my own home, have a degree and a job, I care for my two year old with zero help from anyone. Compare that to people my age who are still living with their parents and find their freshly laundered clothes waiting on the bed for them when they get home from their 8th year in community college classes.

if you take your kid into the store with you, it of course doesn't mean they are doomed to live at home forever. thats not the point. The point is we CONSTANTLY underestimate children and their abilities..treat them like infants until they are the magic age of 18 then whine and moan when they don't act like adults. A 9 year old is perfectly capable of keeping an eye on a two year old for a little bit and calling for or getting help if something went wrong. For gods sakes there are stories everyday of 3 and 4 year olds calling 911 when somethign was wrong with their parent. Parents take risks everyday when they make decisions for their children..formula feeding has risks..one of which is deadly food allergies..which happens to have a MUCH higher incidence than stranger abduction..leaving a kid in the car for a bit when you shop is so low on the risk pole.

Midnightrider

The 8 YO isn't the issue, the 2 YO is. The 2 YO should not be left alone. Leaving the 2 YO in the care of someone who is not capable of caring for them is no different than leaving them alone.

Is anyone saying it should be okay to leave a 2 YO alone in a car while shopping? Not two minutes to pay for gas, but long enough for someone to notice, call cops, the cops show up, and still no parent?

no one left a 2yo alone in a car while they went shopping, and considering the kids were both fine, the 9yo was apparently able to care for the 2yo just fine (under those circumstances).

sockgirl77

By 8 I was already a latchkey kid (morning and evening), made my lunch everyday, had chores around the house that I was not paid for, made my fathers lunch everyday, prepped dinner for my mom when she got home and all while doing well in school and in my extra curriculars.

I am not special in any way :shrug: But my parents were working hard to give me a good life and I was expected to contribute to the household and obey them. I went away to college at 17, worked my way through it, had my own place my senior year and have covered my own bills 100% since then. They werent mean, they werent neglectful and I have everything to show for them doing that. I own my own home, have a degree and a job, I care for my two year old with zero help from anyone. Compare that to people my age who are still living with their parents and find their freshly laundered clothes waiting on the bed for them when they get home from their 8th year in community college classes.

if you take your kid into the store with you, it of course doesn't mean they are doomed to live at home forever. thats not the point. The point is we CONSTANTLY underestimate children and their abilities..treat them like infants until they are the magic age of 18 then whine and moan when they don't act like adults. A 9 year old is perfectly capable of keeping an eye on a two year old for a little bit and calling for or getting help if something went wrong. For gods sakes there are stories everyday of 3 and 4 year olds calling 911 when somethign was wrong with their parent. Parents take risks everyday when they make decisions for their children..formula feeding has risks..one of which is deadly food allergies..which happens to have a MUCH higher incidence than stranger abduction..leaving a kid in the car for a bit when you shop is so low on the risk pole.

I'm not underestimating my children or their abilities, I'm choosing to not underestimate criminals and their abilities. :yay:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I am sure that mine would be too, but I would not leave him by himself. There's no reason why he cannot go to the store with me.

Then your age argument is kind of a moot point, because what you would do and what I would do are different.

MMDad

Lem Putt
no one left a 2yo alone in a car while they went shopping, and considering the kids were both fine, the 9yo was apparently able to care for the 2yo just fine (under those circumstances).

So if a drunk driver doesn't kill anyone on the way home, it shouldn't be a crime?

If the child is left alone without someone who can care for it, then it is no different than being left alone. A 9 YO is not capable, so this 2 YO was not attended.

Are you 100% sure that if the cops hadn't been called and shown up that nothing would have happened?