Cigarette addiction...

Addicted or not?

• Yes, addicted smoke junky, am powerless to stop!

Votes: 6 12.2%
  • Rather addictive; those who honestly want to stop have a tough time

Votes: 28 57.1%
  • Calling it an addiction helps me get attention

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • We say it's addictive because people say it is, true or not

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm addicted to smoking like I'm addicted to Ben and Jerry's

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's just a habit which can be tough to break

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • It is not an addiction, I just don't wanna quit

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • It is not an addiction

Votes: 4 8.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
one of the sure signs of addiction, passing up interpersonal relationships, or in this case relations, for your drug of choice.....

I have never known anyone who, if they were sexually stimulated, would rather smoke than have sex. The very thought of that is absurd.

Dork

Highlander's MPD
...sex; when I was into smoking I couldn't wait for the next one and I'd be happy any time, any place, look forward to it and so on, grouchy when I had to wait and so forth. In that same context I could argue I am addicted to sex. I've found in the last six months that while I still argue that I am addicted to sex and can't help myself, I can, in fact, get by for extended periods of time without it. I think that is the level of pleasure people take in smoking. Hell, long time smokers would rather smoke than have sex.

That's because you are OLD!:lmao:

oldman

Lobster Land
Speaking only for myself it is not an addiction. It's a habit, albeit a bad one, but still a habit. Three years ago I had to quit for 6 months and I did not suffer any pains because of it. Then I bought a pack just to see if I still enjoyed smoking. Bam, I just like smoking and have been doing so hot and heavy since. Would my quality of life improve if I quit, sure in some aspects while in others it would decrease. I'm also one to tell anyone else to never start. Try and find a doctor that won't tell you to quit!

Dork

Highlander's MPD
So you're saying that if your wife were ill, out of town or in some other way unavailable for sex, you would cheat on her because you can't help yourself?

No, I'm not saying that. At least I wouldn't admit that. I guess I could just get an inflatable girlfriend and a few dirty magazine. After all, it works for JPC and Forestool.

tommyjones

He's full of it. He does not know a single person who would rather smoke than have sex, given the proper stimulus.

you have made that distinction twice now.

See i wouldn't choose the oppertunity to smoke over the oppertunity to have sex no matter what, and i smoked for years :whistle:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
See i wouldn't choose the oppertunity to smoke over the oppertunity to have sex no matter what

So if she was some enormous cheesy heifer with pronounced body odor and a tendency toward flatulence, you would still rather have sex with her than smoke a cigarette?

T

Toreadoralpha

Some questions.

If a person has only enough money to buy either food or a pack of cigarettes and chooses cigarettes, would that qualify as an addiction?

If a person, who normally obeys the law, is willing to face severe penalties ($2,000), and still smokes, would that be a sign of addiction? (disabling a smoke detector on an aircraft)

Some possible anwsers.

Addiction is characterized by compulsive drug seeking and use, even in the face of negative consequences. Only about 6 percent of people who try to quit are successful for more than a month.

Research has shown how nicotine acts on the brain to produce a number of effects. Of primary importance to its addictive nature are findings that nicotine activates reward pathways—the brain circuitry that regulates feelings of pleasure. A key brain chemical involved in mediating the desire to consume drugs is the neurotransmitter dopamine, and research has shown that nicotine increases levels of dopamine in the reward circuits. This reaction is similar to that seen with other drugs of abuse, and is thought to underlie the pleasurable sensations experienced by many smokers. Nicotine’s pharmacokinetic properties also enhance its abuse potential. The acute effects of nicotine dissipate in a few minutes, as do the associated feelings of reward, which causes the smoker to continue dosing to maintain the drug’s pleasurable effects and prevent withdrawal.

Nicotine withdrawal symptoms include irritability, craving, cognitive and attentional deficits, sleep disturbances, and increased appetite. These symptoms may begin within a few hours after the last cigarette, quickly driving people back to tobacco use.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Some questions.

If a person has only enough money to buy either food or a pack of cigarettes and chooses cigarettes, would that qualify as an addiction?

If a person, who normally obeys the law, is willing to face severe penalties ($2,000), and still smokes, would that be a sign of addiction? (disabling a smoke detector on an aircraft)

Some possible anwsers.

Addiction is characterized by compulsive drug seeking and use, even in the face of negative consequences. Only about 6 percent of people who try to quit are successful for more than a month.

Research has shown how nicotine acts on the brain to produce a number of effects. Of primary importance to its addictive nature are findings that nicotine activates reward pathways—the brain circuitry that regulates feelings of pleasure. A key brain chemical involved in mediating the desire to consume drugs is the neurotransmitter dopamine, and research has shown that nicotine increases levels of dopamine in the reward circuits. This reaction is similar to that seen with other drugs of abuse, and is thought to underlie the pleasurable sensations experienced by many smokers. Nicotine’s pharmacokinetic properties also enhance its abuse potential. The acute effects of nicotine dissipate in a few minutes, as do the associated feelings of reward, which causes the smoker to continue dosing to maintain the drug’s pleasurable effects and prevent withdrawal.

Nicotine withdrawal symptoms include irritability, craving, cognitive and attentional deficits, sleep disturbances, and increased appetite. These symptoms may begin within a few hours after the last cigarette, quickly driving people back to tobacco use.

Tobacco smokers are cult??