Climate Hypocrisy

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Minnesota Democrat lawmakers push ban on gas-powered lawn mowers, chainsaws to curb 'climate pollution'

Two Minnesota Democratic lawmakers are proposing a pair of bills that would significantly impact the state's backyards and neighborhood ice rinks in an effort to combat climate change.

State Reps. Jerry Newton and Heather Edelson, members of the Minnesota Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party, introduced legislation on Monday that would block the sale of common landscaping appliances like lawn mowers and chainsaws as well ice-resurfacing machines such as Zambonis, requiring that only electric battery versions be sold in the state starting Jan. 1, 2025.

The ban on lawn and garden equipment would include any machine that uses "a spark ignition engine rated at or below 19 kilowatts or 25 gross horsepower." Commonly used landscaping tools like lawn mowers, leaf blowers, hedge clippers, chainsaws, lawn edgers, string trimmers and brush cutters would all be prohibited by that definition.

Hijinx

LMAO I can see it now. People going out of State to buy their lawn equipment.

Sorry Honey, I cant take you to lunch today I have to go to Iowa and buy a weed whacker.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The Wall Street Journal reported Wednesday that Unilever is working on ways to “warm up its ice cream freezers in convenience stores without turning its products into puddles.” This quixotic endeavor is, we’re told, “part of a broader effort to pursue green goals and potentially boost sales in the process.” Warmer, softer ice cream that melts faster is going to boost sales? Well, maybe because after the whole thing runs down one’s hand in a gooey, sticky mess, some people will valiantly buy another ice cream and try again, but that’s not likely to be a high percentage of frozen delicacy consumers. Unilever doesn’t appear to have thought this through.

Heedless of the decline in quality that this heralds, Unilever is “testing the performance of its products in freezers that are set to temperatures of roughly 10 degrees Fahrenheit, up from the industry standard of zero.” This is going to make for kids’ broken hearts and sticky hands all over the country because Unilever “owns most of the 3 million chest-like freezers that house its ice-cream tubs and treats in bodegas and corner stores, and the energy used to power them accounts for around 10% of Unilever’s greenhouse gas footprint.”

Heating up the world’s ice cream will solve global warming and calm the apocalyptic fears of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez: “Keeping ice cream at 10 degrees as opposed to zero will reduce energy use and greenhouse gas emissions by roughly 20% to 30% per freezer.” If we all just develop a taste for melted ice cream, maybe this weary world will last beyond 2031.

There is no way to tell if Unilever believes its own nonsense or is just in it for the money—and apparently, there is money these days in melted green ice cream. The WSJ notes that Unilever hopes that its new warm ice cream freezers will “help sales with sustainability-minded consumers and even keep stores’ ice-cream selling season going longer.” Outgoing Unilever honcho Alan “Nope, Not A Dope” Jope explained: “What was happening was that shopkeepers in some markets responded to fears about rising energy costs by switching off their cabinets earlier than they otherwise would have done.” The solution? Why, hot ice cream, of course. That’ll sell like… puddles of sweet goop all over the floor.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Ice cream barely makes it home now without melting. Then when it re-freezes, it makes ice crystals. The creaminess is gone.

Raising the freezer temp will shorten even further the time to get it home. But it's not just ice cream. Anything in the freezer cases will be affected. I see the amount of spoilage going up dramatically.

Hijinx

All of this planning and staging for a problem that is BULLSHEIT to begin with. Like melting ice cream is going to stop the Ocean from rising.

Clem72

Ice cream barely makes it home now without melting. Then when it re-freezes, it makes ice crystals. The creaminess is gone.

Raising the freezer temp will shorten even further the time to get it home. But it's not just ice cream. Anything in the freezer cases will be affected. I see the amount of spoilage going up dramatically.
You're not supposed to eat it in the car on the way home?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Modern Ice Cream is already a hodge podge of chemicals ... now what should be expected

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For our consideration ...

Modern Ice Cream is already a hodge podge of chemicals ... now what should be expected

^^^

That's what I was about to say. Real "ice cream" (made with milk, cream, sugar and vanilla), sold in stores is a rarity today. Too many are made using fillers, thickeners, and chemicals that is not supposed to be in "ice cream" but are used simply to increase the profits for corporations. Plus dealing with the included growth hormones and antibiotics given to the cows to produce more milk than they wold normally which stays in the milk.

As an example, here are the ingredients used to make Ben and Jerry's Lights! Caramel! Action!™. It is all junk and uses inflammation producing seed oils and soy. This is not "ice cream".

CREAM, SKIM MILK, LIQUID SUGAR (SUGAR, WATER), WATER, CORN SYRUP, SUGAR, WHEAT FLOUR, SOYBEAN OIL, EGG YOLKS, BROWN SUGAR, BUTTER (CREAM, SALT), CORN STARCH, GRAHAM FLOUR, EGGS, EXPELLER PRESSED SOYBEAN OIL, UNSWEETENED CHOCOLATE, SALT, BUTTEROIL (MILK), CANOLA OIL, MOLASSES, SEA SALT, BAKING SODA, GUAR GUM, TAPIOCA FLOUR, CARRAGEENAN, HONEY, SOY LECITHIN, VANILLA EXTRACT, COCOA BUTTER, MILK.