CNN Hot Takes and Mis-Information

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

CNN: Biden WH ‘Panicking’ and Making ‘Furious, Last-Ditch’ Effort to Convince OPEC Not to Cut Production

Marquardt said that, according to a “U.S. official,” “the White House, in fact, is panicking, that this is something that they desperately do not want to happen. Cutting oil production means higher oil prices, it means higher gas prices. That, of course, is something that the Biden administration does not want to happen right now. So, tomorrow, there’s this meeting of the oil-producing countries, this cartel known as OPEC. It is ostensibly led by Saudi Arabia. Russia is also a member. The United States is not a member. And what we have learned, myself and our colleagues Natasha Bertrand and Phil Mattingly, is that there is this furious, last-ditch, wide-scale effort to lobby the OPEC-plus oil-producing countries to not cut oil production, that senior members of the Biden administration are reaching out to members of the cartel, including Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, and the United Arab Emirates. The cartel could cut as much as 1 million barrels a day in production, that would be the biggest cut since the beginning of the pandemic. Now, this effort is being led by the top Biden administration official for energy, Amos Hochstein. They’ve also enlisted the top White House official for the Middle East, Brett McGurk. But interestingly, they’ve also — just to show you how widespread this is — reached out to the Treasury Secretary, Janet Yellen, asking her to reach out to counterparts around the world. And we actually got talking points that the White House sent to Treasury that have very blunt language suggesting that Yellen say some of this to her counterparts. They say that this would be a ‘total disaster[,]’ it would be seen as a ‘hostile act’ against the United States. This is very blunt language. The White House says that these were draft talking points and not used. But it does give insight into how nervous they are, Jake.”

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Mary Katharine Ham: I haven't been on TV for a while and the reason why involves Jeff Zucker and Jeffrey Toobin

The on-air shadow ban apparently began with a spat on Twitter. There’s a rundown of the whole argument here but it took a turn when Andrew Kaczyinski (also at CNN) tried to call into question something she’d said about coverage of the Alexandria baseball shooting.

She would later learn that the mention of Toobin was the last straw.

I suppose some might reasonably conclude that critiquing CNN’s coverage in a factual and calm tweet, or arguing with Kaczynski, could have spurred some disciplinary action, as it violates the rule against “shooting inside the tent” among colleagues. But it turns out that didn’t do me in. Rather, I’m told, “when it got to the comments about Jeffrey Toobin…everyone wanted a bit of a breather.”
Well, everyone but me, who had no idea there was a breather in effect. I was never informed of my punishment until it was rescinded recently by new management. No one called me or my representation about it. There was no announcement of a suspension, or notification of in-house disciplinary action, which I would have preferred, even welcomed by comparison to serving a secret sentence.
In case you’re wondering, as I did, how my punishment for tweeting about Toobin compares to Toobin’s suspension for his offense, I can tell you. He was off air for eight months; I was off for seven. One month was the difference between punishment for jacking off at work versus commenting on the inadvisability of jacking off at work…
I was told it was Jeff Zucker, now gone, who put this order in place and a deputy, also gone, who kept it there. I was also told I wasn’t informed of the network’s displeasure because I had just had a baby and someone in the old leadership thought I might be a “loose cannon.” Not as loose as Toobin’s, but I digress.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Even CNN Wants to Know Why Katie Hobbs Won't Debate Kari Lake

Democratic candidates have been notorious in their refusal to debate their Republican opponents, or have at least been dragging their feet in doing so. With just over three weeks ahead of the November midterm elections, Katie Hobbs has been firmly in the former category. The current secretary of state for Arizona, she's running against Republican Kari Lake to be the next governor there. Both candidates appeared on Sunday's episode of CNN's "State of the Union," during which host Dana Bash even called Hobbs out for her refusal.

When asked by Bash "why won't you debate her," Hobbs came off as desperate in her exchange, claiming that "Kari Lake has made it clear time and time again that she's not interested in having substantive, in-depth conversations about the issues that matter to Arizonans." She also claimed tear Lake "refused to sit down in a one-on-one, lengthy conversation to really clarify with Arizonans where she is on the issues. She's the one who's afraid of talking to voters where she's at."

Hobbs even made a bold prediction, with some harsh language, claiming that Arizona voters wouldn't be bothered by her refusal to debate. "I guarantee you, I guarantee you that, when Arizonans who are struggling, when they go to open their ballot, when they're thinking about the fact that they're not sure how they're going to put food on the table, they're rationing their insulin, or they're thinking about having to drive their niece or their sister or their daughter to California to get the health care that they need, they're not going to look at their ballot and say, damn it, Katie Hobbs didn't debate her opponent," Hobbs claimed. She also repeated that claim later in the conversation.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

$2 Billion Powerball Payout Due to 'Systemic Racism'

In the minds of the politically expedient “journalists” of CNN and other left-wing critics, the real story is this: Powerball’s recent $2.04 billion payout was a form of systemic racism that targets poor black and brown communities across America. And there it is, gang: from the ridiculous to the sublime.

As reported by the New York Post, the largest Powerball jackpot lottery ticket ever was recently sold in Altadena, California, with one lucky resident winning a historic $2.04 billion. The odds were 1 in 292.2 million. According to CNN’s “logic,” the fact that the winning ticket was sold in Altadena is proof that the winner won because of systemic racism.

Just one problem.

The above ignorance is completely devoid of facts, odds, statistics, and the unbiased precision of lottery draw machines, including the system used by Powerball. Speaking of facts, let’s check one of the most applicable facts in this case: the demographic makeup of Altadena, California.

According to the latest breakdown by the U.S. Census Bureau, white residents comprise 53.2 percent of the city’s population, blacks make up 19.7 percent, and Hispanics and Latinos constitute 29.5 percent, for a combined 49.2 percent. Asians comprise 5.2 percent of the remainder. But CNN wants you to believe that Altadena communities, in this example, were victims of predatory sales techniques.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

CNN Professor Sneers at GOP: Don't Expect DeSantis to Save You!

He then lectured Republicans not to “expect Ron DeSantis to come riding in on a white horse and save the Republican Party. It's not clear he represents anything different than Donald Trump other than a different personality.”

Lichtman proclaimed that “governors, however successful, have not fared well under the unique white heat of a presidential campaign,” to prove his argument he said “look at Bush and Kasich in 2016.”

Not sure those are the best candidates to use as an example considering both Bush and Kasich were disastrously bad and uninspiring candidates because of their personalities and liberal Republican records in office, not the fact that they were governors.

Not to mention how most recent Presidents were governors: George W. Bush, Bill Clinton, Ronald Reagan, Jimmy Carter. They all managed to get elected being governors.

Getting in one last shot at DeSantis, he huffed “it's not clear that DeSantis offers the reconsideration and restoration that this Republican Party really needs.”

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

CNN Chief Chafes Over Gutfeld

Pointing out the fact that some — including her own sons — often got their “news” with a side of humorous commentary from hosts like John Oliver, Swisher asked whether networks that included that type of programming held an advantage over a network that was trying to stick to the news alone — as CNN appears to be doing under Licht’s leadership.

“Colbert is very influential in news. Could you inform a broader audience there than you could at CNN? My sons don’t watch CNN. They watch John Oliver, and that’s where they get their news,” Swisher explained.

Licht pushed back: “But it’s not news.”

“But it is, it’s a point of view and it’s pretty smart,” Swisher replied — and Licht agreed, to a point.

🤣

News from John Oliver

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
CNN should just shutter the windows and doors and raze the building at this point.

With the personnel inside of course.

herb749

CNN Chief Chafes Over Gutfeld

Pointing out the fact that some — including her own sons — often got their “news” with a side of humorous commentary from hosts like John Oliver, Swisher asked whether networks that included that type of programming held an advantage over a network that was trying to stick to the news alone — as CNN appears to be doing under Licht’s leadership.

“Colbert is very influential in news. Could you inform a broader audience there than you could at CNN? My sons don’t watch CNN. They watch John Oliver, and that’s where they get their news,” Swisher explained.

Licht pushed back: “But it’s not news.”

“But it is, it’s a point of view and it’s pretty smart,” Swisher replied — and Licht agreed, to a point.

🤣

News from John Oliver

Colbert is in the Carson/Letterman type time slot. He tried to compete with that format and was getting slammed. Once he switched to all politics he got his comedy central fans back. He has no musical or movie guests. Just all politicians or media writers. At least Gutfeld is funny, which is what late night used to be about.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Both Kinds of Standards – CNN

• Democrats: "Heroic." Republicans: "Retaliate."
At CNN, there was a panel to discuss the Republicans beginning to recalibrate the committee assignments in the House since they have taken the majority. John King looks over the decisions behind the rather common practice of the ruling party installing their own on the committees and declares the Republicans are doing so merely out of spite. He states the Republicans are retaliating for the Democrats removing Marjorie Taylor Greene and Paul Gosar.

King makes the declaration that they were justified to be removed "after doing some pretty egregious things." Ilhan Omar, Adam Schiff, and Eric Swalwell – the Intelligence Committee member who slept with a Chinese spy – are blameless innocents who never did anything objectionable to justify their removal.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
First of all, as Jacqueline Howard clearly must be aware, the clocks change equally for everyone. We don’t have a system where minorities are forced to change their clocks by two hours while white people only set them backward or forward by one hour. It’s an annoyance we are all subjected to equally unless you happen to live in Hawaii, Arizona, or one of the five territories that don’t observe the practice.

What Howard is actually saying (or would be if she was being honest) is that people who experience more health issues are generally people with less financial security. And it is unfortunately true that many of the poorest communities, particularly in larger cities, are disproportionately populated by minorities. But that’s not true exclusively. There are many very poor rural communities that are almost entirely populated by whites, particularly in the southeast. And they face the same challenges as their urban counterparts.

Using the verbal maneuver that Howard employs, you can say that almost any problem facing American citizens is “structurally racist.” Crime is higher in those communities. Student performance is lower in the public schools in poorer neighborhoods. Employment rates are lower. You can label all of those things as “racist” if you wish, but they are all being driven by poverty and a lack of financial opportunity. So this entire argument is a bit silly right out of the gate.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

CNN Hosts Spar With Don Lemon For Saying People Are More Interested In Men’s Sports

“The men’s team makes more money, if they make more money, then they should get more money,” Lemon said. “The men’s team makes more money because people have more interest.”

Co-host Poppy Harlow blamed Big Tech and the media for not investing enough in women’s sports for people to take interest.

“You guys, I am not sexist,” Lemon continued. “I grew up the only boy in a family of all women. I understand what you’re saying. But not everybody, honestly, has the same skill, not everybody has the same interest in the sport and I think women should be paid more, I do. But if the men—”

“You’re right that not everybody has the same skills because the women have better skills,” co-host and former Daily Caller reporter Kaitlan Collins interjected.