Cross/Crucifix

MMDad

Lem Putt
Roughidle said:
Well...being it was a "Christmas" party, I shouldn't expect that the dietary needs of a Jew would need be taken into account during the menu planning. :coffee:

It was a "holiday" party, and yes, the dietary needs of all employees need to be considered when the party is for 1,000 employees.

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Toxick said:
Maybe we can replace crosses with the Jesus Fish? :shrug:

Or this fish.....

Attachments

• darwin_fish.jpg
    darwin_fish.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 48
W

wkndbeacher

citysherry said:
Kosher merely refers to how the animal was slaughtered and that it was blessed by a Rabbi. By the way, you do know that not all hot dogs are made of pork, right?

Exactly right, its a certain way the animals are put down and how the meat is cleaned etc.

Mrgaritavill

Hail to the Redskins!
Do any of the other lawyers wear a Star of David? Or have anything in their offices that would distinguish them as Jewish?

jenbengen

Watch it
vraiblonde said:
She should immediately go to a rival law firm and file a discrimination suit against her firm. Lawyers should freakin' know better than that crap.

:yay: to what you said. Tell her to grow up. This isn't first grade when you say "that hurt my feelings". Deal with it.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
citysherry said:
Not sure how this is going to play out.......at work an associate attorney recently told her secretary that she found her cross necklace (it may have been a crucifix, not sure) offensive and instructed her to put it under her shirt. The majority of the attorneys (partners & associates) are Jewish. The secretary has gone to speak with the Office Manager about it. :jameo:

So what happened?

Midnightrider

Mrgaritavill said:
Do any of the other lawyers wear a Star of David? Or have anything in their offices that would distinguish them as Jewish?
see, the people who own the business get to make the rules.
if the majority of the owners are jewish and they decide they don't want the person who greets their clients to display the cross, its their choice. As far as i am concerned, they have done nothing wrong, and didn't even tell her to take it off, just to stop displaying it while in their offices.

what if this had been some ugly azzed tat instead, would they be justified in asking that its covered up while at work? of course they would

SoMDGirl42

citysherry said:
Kosher merely refers to how the animal was slaughtered and that it was blessed by a Rabbi. By the way, you do know that not all hot dogs are made of pork, right?

That's what I thought, so now I'm :confused: Not that I really care, I'm not Jewish and I eat whatever the phuck I want!

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Toxick said:
Well, I have no desire to enter into a debate about why statues and pictures are not idols, and I'm well aware of the mechanics of death by crucifixion.

I was, however, interested to hear what you would have suggested as a an alternate symbol.

Or do you think all symbolism is idolotry?

Symbols such as the Star of David, pentagrams, Khanda symbols, Star & Cresent, Yin-Yang, or a statue of Moroni.

Maybe we can replace crosses with the Jesus Fish? :shrug:

Why is it necessary for Christians to advertise the fact, why do they need ANY symbology.. Kind of like prayers being in private without other's knowledge.. not in public, or on a soapbox, or rote memory...

I find a cross on a Christian as offensive as a German wearing a gas chamber or an oven as a necklace.

And seeing how the Jews are accused of being the ones that killed Christ, I could understand why a Jew would be offended seeing the murder weapon.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
itsbob said:
Why is it necessary for Christians to advertise the fact, why do they need ANY symbology.. Kind of like prayers being in private without other's knowledge.. not in public, or on a soapbox, or rote memory...

I find a cross on a Christian as offensive as a German wearing a gas chamber or an oven as a necklace.

And seeing how the Jews are accused of being the ones that killed Christ, I could understand why a Jew would be offended seeing the murder weapon.
I think I'll leave the office a bit early today and stop by the jeweler's and pick me up a beautiful new cross necklace. And use your Visa card.

Toxick

Splat
itsbob said:
Why is it necessary for Christians to advertise the fact, why do they need ANY symbology..

Is there a reason you're avoiding my question?

Who CARES why they need to advertise?

And suppose it's not just to advertise? I like windmills, so I have a painting of a windmill on my wall. I like the Baltimore Ravens, so I have a Raven Logo on my black and purple shirt. I like the video game Halo, so Master Chief is on my desktop wallpaper.

I love God, so I want to put something on my wall that I can look at.

Not all symbolism is for the purpose of ramming it in someone's face.

itsbob said:

Yeah. I got that 3 posts ago.

Which is what prompted me to ask you what you thought might be a better alternative.

Which you've declined to answer twice.

Which means I have no more interest in this conversation.

citysherry

I Need a Beer
RoseRed said:
So what happened?

So far, no official word - just alot of closed doors meetings.

bresamil said:
1: Is there a dress code for the office that is in a handbook?

We do have a dress code and its business casual Monday through Thursday and blue jeans allowed on Fridays.

2: If there is, then is there anything about jewelry that would restrict her from wearing the cross?

We don't have a handbook per se but infomation is spread by memo because many of the senior attorneys don't know how to use email. Nothing about jewelry.

3. How long has she been there? Has anyone else mentioned this necklace as a problem?

The cross wearing secretary is new - less than a month on the job.

4. How long has the associate been there?

The attorney has been here for well over twenty years and is still an associate - she's in her 50's.

I'm just trying to figure out who is in the wrong, if anyone.

Vince

High EGT said:
Sorry to break this to you Vince but personnal attire is the business of an employer. Aside from that, religious symbols worn on your person is the real issue.
My mistake. Wrong wording. Jewelery is the correct word, which is part of your attire. I'm not told I can't wear a certain ring or watch. Why should a necklace be any different?

Mrgaritavill

Hail to the Redskins!
Midnightrider said:
see, the people who own the business get to make the rules.
if the majority of the owners are jewish and they decide they don't want the person who greets their clients to display the cross, its their choice. As far as i am concerned, they have done nothing wrong, and didn't even tell her to take it off, just to stop displaying it while in their offices.

what if this had been some ugly azzed tat instead, would they be justified in asking that its covered up while at work? of course they would

I agree with you, to a point. If there are rules against religious symbols, in general, being worn in the workplace that is perfectly acceptable. But I do not believe it is legal to prohibit only certain religious symbols. It is called disparate treatment and depending on the circumstances, it could warrant an EEOC complaint and investigation.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Cletus_Vandam said:
Just looking at your signature, why does JPC go to jail next week?

He hasn't been paying his child support. He has a contempt hearing on Monday. It's not guaranteed he'll go to jail, but since his dad is helping him there's a good chance.

He also hasn't paid his DUI fine. There should be warrants out for that before long.

Midnightrider

Mrgaritavill said:
I agree with you, to a point. If there are rules against religious symbols, in general, being worn in the workplace that is perfectly acceptable. But I do not believe it is legal to prohibit only certain religious symbols. It is called disparate treatment and depending on the circumstances, it could warrant an EEOC complaint and investigation.
its called, if you are the face of my business, you WILL look they way I think is acceptable.

Midnightrider

SoMDGirl42 said:
Would that be considered discrimination based on religion?
they didn't discriminate against her, they asked her to keep her religion to herself while representing their business