Cybertruck design conversations

glhs837

Power with Control
No. The one crossed over 235 going towards the Cedar Point FCU. The other was heading south on 235 at Walmart.
Well assuming they're on track to sell as many as they sold in August and September, that's adding 10,000 new ones to the road in just two months.

glhs837

Power with Control

Probably a sound humans can't hear.

Maybe, but seems unlikely to me.

When Sentry Mode triggered the lights, it spooked the horses. You could see my sister-in-law taking off like a bat out of a cave full send, and the neighbor's horse head goes quickly out of frame.

You need to be closer than 40-60 feet away. Story seems off, Id want to see this video.

PeoplesElbow

Maybe, but seems unlikely to me.

You need to be closer than 40-60 feet away. Story seems off, Id want to see this video.

Larger body masses trigger motion detection from farther away, it works by how many pixels change if it is camera based. I'm a big man and I can fool motion detection by moving slowly enough.

glhs837

Power with Control
Right, but if your ready down, there are two sections. One for accessories like bike racks, the other for towing where it states the allowed tongue weight.

Incidentally, had my one year follow up on my cervical fusion in Chevy Chase so I set up and did a 30 minute test drive of one in Alexandria today.

View attachment 179548

Aluminum is just fine, it's the casting process that makes brittle parts. You simply can't have a casting without stress concentrators on the surface without some post processing.

I thought we had covered this one a couple weeks ago. Can anybody really make the case that the vertical load limit is different than the tongue weight limit?

As for the casting process. Keep in mind this isn't simply pouring some metal into a mold. This is injecting more than 120 lb of aluminum into a mold that's both heated and cooled in a matter of a second or less, Said mold held together with 9,000 tons of clamping Force because that's how much pressure is required to resist those forces.

So the norms of casting don't really apply. Think of it more as a forging than a casting. I think.

PeoplesElbow

I thought we had covered this one a couple weeks ago. Can anybody really make the case that the vertical load limit is different than the tongue weight limit?

As for the casting process. Keep in mind this isn't simply pouring some metal into a mold. This is injecting more than 120 lb of aluminum into a mold that's both heated and cooled in a matter of a second or less, Said mold held together with 9,000 tons of clamping Force because that's how much pressure is required to resist those forces.

So the norms of casting don't really apply. Think of it more as a forging than a casting. I think.
It still doesn't change the physics of the crystalline metal structure and how the atoms create bonds and arrange themselves. Rapid cooling also causes thermal stresses. They have a new alloy that helps, but it still can't change things on the molecular level. IMHO casting it for making things fast and cheap that are "good enough".

glhs837

Power with Control
It still doesn't change the physics of the crystalline metal structure and how the atoms create bonds and arrange themselves. Rapid cooling also causes thermal stresses. They have a new alloy that helps, but it still can't change things on the molecular level. IMHO casting it for making things fast and cheap that are "good enough".

So, that's one reason these dies are both heated and cooled, to the sure even temps throughout the mold. So, everything in any vehicle is made to be "good enough". So, it it as good or better than the equivalent structure made up of 70-100 pieces of stamped thin steel?

PeoplesElbow

So, that's one reason these dies are both heated and cooled, to the sure even temps throughout the mold. So, everything in any vehicle is made to be "good enough". So, it it as good or better than the equivalent structure made up of 70-100 pieces of stamped thin steel?
There is also a reason when annealing metals that the temp has to be held for a while and not "rapidly" done. It takes time for the internal structures and bonds to form. I'm really not sold on aluminum as a primary structure for an automobile let alone a casting. Stamped steel is great for something that gets beat on like a truck does.

glhs837

Power with Control
There is also a reason when annealing metals that the temp has to be held for a while and not "rapidly" done. It takes time for the internal structures and bonds to form. I'm really not sold on aluminum as a primary structure for an automobile let alone a casting. Stamped steel is great for something that gets beat on like a truck does.

Pretty sure the folks that developed the custom alloy for this process (also the same metallurgists that do SpaceXs work) know what they are doing regarding those processes. The first ones used in the Model y have been going to about four years now, I've not heard of any issues with them. This guy does talk a bit about the challenges faced.

PeoplesElbow

Pretty sure the folks that developed the custom alloy for this process (also the same metallurgists that do SpaceXs work) know what they are doing regarding those processes. The first ones used in the Model y have been going to about four years now, I've not heard of any issues with them. This guy does talk a bit about the challenges faced.

I'm sure it works great for what it was designed to, but how often do we see actual use exceeded what something is designed to?

Fords engine blocks that have spark plugs break off in them were probably fine to what they were designed to. The Aluminum F-150 was fine to what it was designed to, never mind the radio antennas getting ripped completely off the body by car washes. The Tesla rear windows that fall out or shatter randomly were probably fine to what they were designed to. How much crap does the DoD purchase that was fine for what it was designed to, but ended up a total failure in actual use?

There are many reasons to stick to tried and true designs and methods if you wish to avoid growing pains.

glhs837

Power with Control
I'm sure it works great for what it was designed to, but how often do we see actual use exceeded what something is designed to?

Fords engine blocks that have spark plugs break off in them were probably fine to what they were designed to. The Aluminum F-150 was fine to what it was designed to, never mind the radio antennas getting ripped completely off the body by car washes. The Tesla rear windows that fall out or shatter randomly were probably fine to what they were designed to. How much crap does the DoD purchase that was fine for what it was designed to, but ended up a total failure in actual use?

There are many reasons to stick to tried and true designs and methods if you wish to avoid growing pains.
And also avoid progress.

History is filled with early anything having growing pains, its part of progress. The framed car folks thought unibody's were doomed to failure. Early emissions controls robbed power and barely made a dent in emissions. Early airbags were deadly. The Prudential building in Boston was know to shed entire panes of glass after being built. We make mistakes, but generally make things better. Don't think I've heard of a Tesla (or Ford) window coming off for quite some time. Guessed they fixed that, but of course the fix never gets the press that the issue did.

Quite often, especially today, things are one or few offs magnified by social media and a real media that loves to get that quick high by reporting the one of few off issue, but will spend no time going to to look any deeper.

Have there been any in use failures of any Tesla castings that you know of? Ones during normal use, not jack assess looking for more click? Any more glass roofs falling off? I ask because anything made by man is subject to QC misses.

glhs837

Power with Control
I mean the fact that this guy felt the need to stop, turn around, and spit on this seems crazy to me.

PeoplesElbow

And also avoid progress.

History is filled with early anything having growing pains, its part of progress. The framed car folks thought unibody's were doomed to failure. Early emissions controls robbed power and barely made a dent in emissions. Early airbags were deadly. The Prudential building in Boston was know to shed entire panes of glass after being built. We make mistakes, but generally make things better. Don't think I've heard of a Tesla (or Ford) window coming off for quite some time. Guessed they fixed that, but of course the fix never gets the press that the issue did.

Quite often, especially today, things are one or few offs magnified by social media and a real media that loves to get that quick high by reporting the one of few off issue, but will spend no time going to to look any deeper.

Have there been any in use failures of any Tesla castings that you know of? Ones during normal use, not jack assess looking for more click? Any more glass roofs falling off? I ask because anything made by man is subject to QC misses.
Progress and growing pains are fine, just not with my money.

People often mistake progress with trying to break the laws of physics.

I have people that keep insisting new technology can make camera lenses smaller while they ignore the physics of how optics work.

Cyber truck is just the H2 of the 2020s IMHO.

Don't get me wrong I'll also never own a Chrysler (or whoever owns them today) product or a BMW product.

glhs837

Power with Control
Progress and growing pains are fine, just not with my money.

People often mistake progress with trying to break the laws of physics.

I have people that keep insisting new technology can make camera lenses smaller while they ignore the physics of how optics work.

Cyber truck is just the H2 of the 2020s IMHO.

Don't get me wrong I'll also never own a Chrysler (or whoever owns them today) product or a BMW product.

Well that goes back to never but the first year of anything.... Applies to all makers. Not sure if they are trying to break any laws of physics here. Here are the H2 sales figures. Combines H2 and H2 SUT. Which had a really tiny bed. I might add. And horrific MPG.

Tesla had sold almost 12,000 trucks before the end of June. Figure 5k in July, more than 5k in August and September. With two months left to go, I expect first year sales to maybe make 30,000 trucks. Not bad considering the are still ramping production

Let's see what happens when the price drops 20k.

1000011267.png

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member

:yay: Theres a really good reason telescopes haven't been replaced with an iPhone or Ring doorbell.

:lmao:

glhs837

Power with Control
Well that goes back to never but the first year of anything.... Applies to all makers. Not sure if they are trying to break any laws of physics here. Here are the H2 sales figures. Combines H2 and H2 SUT. Which had a really tiny bed. I might add. And horrific MPG.

Tesla had sold almost 12,000 trucks before the end of June. Figure 5k in July, more than 5k in August and September. With two months left to go, I expect first year sales to maybe make 30,000 trucks. Not bad considering the are still ramping production

Let's see what happens when the price drops 20k.

View attachment 179741

So today's "recall" (it was fixed on a software update that was uploaded September 19th, but the recall paperwork just now got to the point of being published which tells you how silly it is) gave us a clear picture of the current state of cyber truck production. Seems as of mid-september there's over 27,000 produced. With about 2 months left to go in the first year of production they should be over 35k.