Cybertruck design conversations

Grumpy

That truck has taken the lead in the worst looking vehicle ever produced, the AMC Gremlin has now fallen to 2nd place.

glhs837

Power with Control
That truck has taken the lead in the worst looking vehicle ever produced, the AMC Gremlin has now fallen to 2nd place.

Hmm, methinks you might be letting the years soften the sheer ugliness of some vehicles. But if you had the Gremlin as first, I might have to question your list to begin with. The Gremlin was no prize winner to be sure, but there are many worse to be seen.

My number one? Not sure, but to keep ii in era, the Pacer made the Gremlin look good.

PeoplesElbow

Well that goes back to never but the first year of anything.... Applies to all makers. Not sure if they are trying to break any laws of physics here. Here are the H2 sales figures. Combines H2 and H2 SUT. Which had a really tiny bed. I might add. And horrific MPG.

Tesla had sold almost 12,000 trucks before the end of June. Figure 5k in July, more than 5k in August and September. With two months left to go, I expect first year sales to maybe make 30,000 trucks. Not bad considering the are still ramping production

Let's see what happens when the price drops 20k.

View attachment 179741
Looks like a lot of those 1 million people backed out.

glhs837

Power with Control
Looks like a lot of those 1 million people backed out.

I know I did. I was cool at 60k, but not 80. Here's the Q3 numbers for all EVs in the US. Note the CT at a minimum price of 100k sold more than all four competitor EV pickups.

I suppose now we need to wait til mid Jan to see how well they do in Q4 with the lower 80k option.

PeoplesElbow

I know I did. I was cool at 60k, but not 80. Here's the Q3 numbers for all EVs in the US. Note the CT at a minimum price of 100k sold more than all four competitor EV pickups.

I suppose now we need to wait til mid Jan to see how well they do in Q4 with the lower 80k option.

I'm thinking that is a sector thing, people that want a truck don't want an EV.

I'd imagine the demographic between most truck buyers and EV buyers are fairly different. Don't see many guys with man buns driving trucks.

glhs837

Power with Control
I'm thinking that is a sector thing, people that want a truck don't want an EV.

I'd imagine the demographic between most truck buyers and EV buyers are fairly different. Don't see many guys with man buns driving trucks.
I think the notion that EV buyers are man bun sorts might be outdated. None of the four owners that I know are. And when I see drivers getting in or out in parking lots or driving, it just looks like normal men and women.

PeoplesElbow

I think the notion that EV buyers are man bun sorts might be outdated. None of the four owners that I know are. And when I see drivers getting in or out in parking lots or driving, it just looks like normal men and women.
The owners of the ones in my parking lot are. The latest one is owned by a guy that previously drove a Jetta. It's the failure of the F-150 that makes me think this. The cyber truck is a niche vehicle for the look at me bunch like the H2 was.

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
The owners of the ones in my parking lot are. The latest one is owned by a guy that previously drove a Jetta.

So that means man bun? I think the "Hell yes brother, I'm a Chevy Truck Guy, my Daddy and his Daddy all owned Chevies!!!" sort of truck owner, or the ones who dump thousands at Hollyrock, they wont ever. But I think most pickups are not owned by what you would consider "truck owners" demographically speaking. They want a vehicle they can toss stuff into the bed of that seats four and is big enough that they don't feel scared.

They would love an SUV but need or think they need a bed. Wet or dirty stuff like bikes or mulch or trash, or whatever. When you look at what researchers found when they surveyed truck owners, that stands up.

PeoplesElbow

So that means man bun? I think the "Hell yes brother, I'm a Chevy Truck Guy, my Daddy and his Daddy all owned Chevies!!!" sort of truck owner, or the ones who dump thousands at Hollyrock, they wont ever. But I think most pickups are not owned by what you would consider "truck owners" demographically speaking. They want a vehicle they can toss stuff into the bed of that seats four and is big enough that they don't feel scared.

They would love an SUV but need or think they need a bed. Wet or dirty stuff like bikes or mulch or trash, or whatever. When you look at what researchers found when they surveyed truck owners, that stands up.

Jetta is a stereotypical woman's car, and in this case this guy has a man bun.

glhs837

Power with Control
Jetta is a stereotypical woman's car, and in this case this guy has a man bun.

You seem to be extrapolating a lot on one data point :) Cant get any demographic purchase data on "man buns". :) But the fact remains that people are still buying the hell out of them. Not sure the man bun demographic is enough to account for that.