Cybertruck design conversations

glhs837

Power with Control

So he bought it, milked it for all the content clicks, and now he's done. Of course resale prices are crashing. People are still trying to flip them. But Tesla is making them fast enough that the amount of people willing to spend 100K for one can find one pretty easy. Guy was willing to break his finger for clicks, so I'm not super impressed with his opinions.

1. Yep, specs need to be better. They will improve.
2. Yep, price needs to be lower. It will get lower.
3. Got a scar on my forehead from jumping out of my 68 Cougar and hitting my head on the window frame. My dumb ass fault.
4. FSD and Autopilot will come, I suspect before the year is out. Sounds bacd, but the upside is that for the rest of the trucks life, you will continually get upgrades and new software features.
5. Tonneau button and wiper hose being loose? Pretty sure there's not one vehicle on the planet that makes production without some flaw of some kind. He and his guy made that loose wiper hose sound like the motor was gonna blow....... Again, drama for clicks. Screw that crap.

glhs837

Power with Control

So, dumbass breaks his truck in his quest to get clicks. Then makes up a story to hopefully have warranty coverage for his stupidity. This is why getting your information from most click driven sources is a Bad Idea.

Note for clarity. It didnt break the first time it was used. Since the latch it is meant to pull back was already back, his dumb ass kept pulling until it broke. Not as bad as that kid who put a smoke generator in the back and tried to get clicks with a fake unintended acceleration crash and used the smoke generator to claim battery fire...... But still.

jrt_ms1995

Saw another today, down here in Jacksonville, NC. Passed me on the left to make a turn. Saw it approaching in my side mirror - butt ugly. As it passed - butt ugly. Looking at its rear - butt ugly. Didn't help that it was an ugly medium blue.

All my opinions.

glhs837

Power with Control
So most folks saw that CT that got T-boned by the Ford, caved in both passenger side doors. Totaled of course. But here's where it gets fun. You all know I'm not a fan of yourtubers and vehicles. This kid, he's straight up, no stretching things to hit the monetization. Looks like that hit didnt really affect the structure other than the B pillar. Main battery structure is fine, kid replaces the pyro fuses and the 48 volt battery that went dead after months of sitting (main battery looks to have more than 50% charger after all that time) and gets it driving in "SAFE" mode, 4mph.

Good start. Getting parts used shouldn't be an issue. Once he has it repaired, can he get Supercharger access, thats the key.

glhs837

Power with Control
Before anyone brings it up. Whistlin Ds "Test" of the CT was a made for clicks piece of crap for entertainment purposes only. He purposely made really stupid choices solely for the purpose of destroying the truck. IMO, that truck survived far more than it will ever face in the wild unless complete idiots are driving it to destruction.

To make my point clear, destroying a thing for clicks is what it is. But to crap talk the thing you are destroying after subjecting it to conditions far beyond anything normal use cases might expose it to is BS.

Clem72

Before anyone brings it up. Whistlin Ds "Test" of the CT was a made for clicks piece of crap for entertainment purposes only. He purposely made really stupid choices solely for the purpose of destroying the truck. IMO, that truck survived far more than it will ever face in the wild unless complete idiots are driving it to destruction.

To make my point clear, destroying a thing for clicks is what it is. But to crap talk the thing you are destroying after subjecting it to conditions far beyond anything normal use cases might expose it to is BS.
Don't go out of my way to watch cyber truck videos. I did see a short clip of the door panels falling off if you slam the door, is that from the guy you want us to ignore?

glhs837

Power with Control
Don't go out of my way to watch cyber truck videos. I did see a short clip of the door panels falling off if you slam the door, is that from the guy you want us to ignore?
I didn't make it that far, but yes. After taking a digging bar to the tonneau cover I couldn't watch any more. If he treated the door panels like he didn't everything else, it's not really relevant to normal use of the vehicle. He backed the hitch carrier into a log and then slammed the entire weight of the aft half of the truck right onto it, then tried to yank the f150 off of a pile of three foot culverts and acted shocked when the rear subframe broke.

Watch the whole thing, but understand, this isn't a review or rational test. Nothing that broke hadn't already been pushed beyond any reasonable limit.

PeoplesElbow

I didn't make it that far, but yes. After taking a digging bar to the tonneau cover I couldn't watch any more. If he treated the door panels like he didn't everything else, it's not really relevant to normal use of the vehicle. He backed the hitch carrier into a log and then slammed the entire weight of the aft half of the truck right onto it, then tried to yank the f150 off of a pile of three foot culverts and acted shocked when the rear subframe broke.

Watch the whole thing, but understand, this isn't a review or rational test. Nothing that broke hadn't already been pushed beyond any reasonable limit.
Agreed, but I see people do unreasonable things to trucks all the time.

The breakage has nothing to do with it being electric, but the casting process does make repairs almost impossible.

One thing I see often is people leaving in trailer hitches to "protect my truck if I get rear ended" but I know more people who had a bent frame than protected themselves because of leaving the hitch in. A bent forging can be fixed, as far as I know a cast part doesn't have that property.

glhs837

Power with Control
Agreed, but I see people do unreasonable things to trucks all the time.

The breakage has nothing to do with it being electric, but the casting process does make repairs almost impossible.

One thing I see often is people leaving in trailer hitches to "protect my truck if I get rear ended" but I know more people who had a bent frame than protected themselves because of leaving the hitch in. A bent forging can be fixed, as far as I know a cast part doesn't have that property.
Seems that actually the part they broke was sacrificial and intended to be unbolted further up the path.

TPD

the poor dad

That video has been in my suggested list but I haven’t clicked it yet. I know he’s in it just for the money. He does some stupid stuff, but more power to him if he’s making enough money to pay for that stupid stuff.

glhs837

Power with Control
That video has been in my suggested list but I haven’t clicked it yet. I know he’s in it just for the money. He does some stupid stuff, but more power to him if he’s making enough money to pay for that stupid stuff.

I can save you the effort. The critical sections have been clipped and captioned. Before that, the whole easy of fueling was deliberately stupid. IF you buy a Tesla and don't know about the fact that you need an app to charge, you are too stupid to breather or playing it for clicks.

Here's the jump piece. To say that the F-150 did what the CT did is just silly.

This is the clip that we saw in the original posted vid.... '

And the screen shots that show that two foot vertical crop directly onto the receiver......... Thats what broke the casting. The F-150 never did that portion.

Reactions: TPD

glhs837

Power with Control
One last bit since we are on it. They said the Ford took the same jump the CT did........ This makes it quite clear that was not the case.

PeoplesElbow

One last bit since we are on it. They said the Ford took the same jump the CT did........ This makes it quite clear that was not the case.

They do look to be the same speed though. All of the F-150s weight is up front making it nose over soon as its front end clears.

This might actually not be a bad torture test for those that want to see what trucks can do in an extreme off-road environment.

glhs837

Power with Control
They do look to be the same speed though. All of the F-150s weight is up front making it nose over soon as its front end clears.

This might actually not be a bad torture test for those that want to see what trucks can do in an extreme off-road environment.

Does anyone expect to do this to any vehicle not baja prepped and not sustain damage? these here look to be about as hard as I would push any stock truck.