dentsville accident rt 6

surfer1

We don't need a new stadium! We need shoulders on these back roads and the trees that are right on the road cut down!! Maybe it would save a life!!

surfer1

Shoulders and trees were not involved in this accident.

Yeah I know that but while we are on the subject of all these accidents I wanted to get on my soapbox about those issues as they are alot of times the killers(trees) whether it be the drivers fault(recklessness) or not!

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
:yeahthat: you can't fix stupid no matter how much money you throw at a problem. This was a tragic incident caused by kids speeding and not wearing seatbelts. Traffic lights, wide shoulders and clearing trees wouldn't have changed what happened.
Personal choices would have.

SeptemberLady

Brown-Eyed Girl
I live off Olivers Shop Road and I am not surprised by this. People CONSTANTLY fly on this road and I get passed in a 40 MPH zone (I do 45) like I am sitting still. It is not only teenagers who fly down these roads... the majority is mostly adults headed home in a rush, down these back roads trying to avoid traffic in Hughesville / Charlotte Hall...

This is sad and I truly feel sorry for the accident, but these back roads are a time-bomb... I am waiting for a deer to jump out in front of me and I have to slam on my brakes and one of these morons slam into the back of me.

It is a shame…

I totally agree! I also live in the area...off Trinity Church Road. People drive way too fast on these back roads. Now that it is dark commuting to and from work, it is even more scarier. Had a person on my bumper the other night (Route 6) with his/her lights blaring in my side and rearview mirrors. I was going 55 in the posted 50 mile speed limit. A couple of times it appeared the driver was trying their best to pass me on a double line. Thankfully, I was turning left, and he/she sped around me! If you are that much in a hurry, you need to leave earlier. Just had a bad accident on our road a couple of weeks ago. Teenage girl going too fast on a Sunday morning. The people that lived in the home across from the accident said the car was wrapped around the tree, traveling by herself, though following other teens, trying to keep up. A helo had to come get her, though I have never heard any news about what happened to her, or who she was. In the last month, I have been awakened 4 times to hear ambulances screaming past our home and twice I have heard helicopters landing nearby.

The roads are not the problem...the people driving way too fast is. Common sense is the factor.

surfer1

:yeahthat: you can't fix stupid no matter how much money you throw at a problem. This was a tragic incident caused by kids speeding and not wearing seatbelts. Traffic lights, wide shoulders and clearing trees wouldn't have changed what happened.
Personal choices would have.

I totally agree that drivers are responsible but on that particular roads there are many times that deers and ice patches have landed responsible drivers into a tree that is right on the road.

Sweet 16

^^8^^
:yeahthat:

Speed, too many kids in the car, no seatbelts, driver inexperience and youthful indescretion were all factors here, not shoulders and trees. Add to that breaking the law. Isn't it illegal in MD for a driver that young to have so many young passengers in the car? Just so I don't sound completely heartless, my sincere condolences to the families and friends of all involved.

Sweet 16

^^8^^
I totally agree that drivers are responsible but on that particular roads there are many times that deers and ice patches have landed responsible drivers into a tree that is right on the road.
Surf, there were no deers and ice patches involved this time.

surfer1

I am just trying to be proactive while we are on a forum about this accident in future prevention Yes, I know you can't fix irresponsibility. On that note I do go 40 MPH down Oliver Shop road and you may have seen me with the parade of cars behind me all cursing the day I was born!!

MMDad

Lem Putt
Has anyone heard how fast they were going? I know it's a 40 zone, and they were obviously speeding, but from the news last night I have to imagine they were going extremely fast.

rdkarob

A fourth teen has died. I just can't imagine. Yes, irresponsible but no matter what you tell your kids, they will do what they think is "cool" when friends are in the car.

I use to drive that road....FAST in my little red chevette! Wrecked once, still drove fast. My parents were very strict on my driving but it didn't matter, I was soooooo COOOOOL! Yeah, whatever.....right?

dawn

A fourth teen has died. I just can't imagine. Yes, irresponsible but no matter what you tell your kids, they will do what they think is "cool" when friends are in the car.

I use to drive that road....FAST in my little red chevette! Wrecked once, still drove fast. My parents were very strict on my driving but it didn't matter, I was soooooo COOOOOL! Yeah, whatever.....right?

I agree -- I heard on Channel 5 that unfortunately another teen had died this morning.

NBC has this on their website.

LA PLATA, Md. -- A fourth teen has died following a two-vehicle crash in Charles County on Tuesday night.

Authorities said Donte Segar, 14, of Hughesville, died Wednesday morning from his injuries.

Fourth Teen Dies In Charles County Crash - News Story - WRC | Washington

My prayers for all involved. This is such a sad week.

surfer1

I totally agree with you. Thats why I was trying to suggest some prevention like shoulders and the trees. Unfortunately in this accident it may not have helped but could have in many. I feel that if they were irresponsible and they were my child and I like your parents preached responsibility I would want them to have a second chance just as you did and hopefully learn from their mistakes not lose their life.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Okay that makes 2 teen wrecks this week.

My prayers go out to those families involved.

I wonder, were they all related? Under the new laws, the driver was still too young to have non family members in the car, wasn't he?

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Okay that makes 2 teen wrecks this week.

My prayers go out to those families involved.

I wonder, were they all related? Under the new laws, the driver was still too young to have non family members in the car, wasn't he?

It's three. I haven't been able to find anything on the news regarding teen girl, single vehicle accident. She's still in ICU.

SeptemberLady

Brown-Eyed Girl
I figured to see something regarding the single accident (Dubois Road) which happened about a month ago now, but nothing in the Maryland Independent. Do you know the teen girl?

A week later, heard a helicopter land either on Trinity or maybe Kentucky Avenue around 2 a.m.. Nothing in the Maryland Independent.